+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's pretty unfair to train your small baby to sleep through just because you think it's good to get 12 hours sleep.

OP, that sounds very normal to me.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-06-2012 at 20:55.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-06-2012),mamabel  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to tell you but that sounds totally normal. My DD is 3 months old, EBF and stills wakes every 2-3 hrs every night. I have adjusted to the broken sleep and am hoping that when she starts solids in a couple of months she will sleep longer!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also don't recommend using any sleep training this early as your milk supply is still establishing and your bub is still so little. A bedtime routine is a good start though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

mamabel  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I thought it might be normal but it helps to have that reassurance. I have been trying to go to bed early and nap when she naps but I seem to lie there and can't sleep!I don't expect her to sleep through the night but sleeping in 1.5 hr increments means I keep waking up with a headache. She's quite a noisy sleeper too which doesn't help and im reluctant to have her out of our room. She is generally a good baby but I underestimated how tired I would be for weeks on end I'll check out the books an am obviously open to ideas but not keen on a regimented routine either. You have given me some reassurance that things improve (for most) with time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I thought it might be normal but it helps to have that reassurance. I have been trying to go to bed early and nap when she naps but I seem to lie there and can't sleep!I don't expect her to sleep through the night but sleeping in 1.5 hr increments means I keep waking up with a headache. She's quite a noisy sleeper too which doesn't help and im reluctant to have her out of our room. She is generally a good baby but I underestimated how tired I would be for weeks on end I'll check out the books an am obviously open to ideas but not keen on a regimented routine either. You have given me some reassurance that things improve (for most) with time!
    I know exactly how you feel, there were a few times that I was actually delirious and woke up screaming that DH was crushing DS when he was happily sleeping in the bassinet next to me. It really is the hardest thing I have ever done, but it does get better and the rewards of a smiling happy baby are just amazing.

JMO but I don't think you need a strict routine either just a basic pattern of feed/play/sleep and a bedtime routine. Your baby will tell you what they need and when.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a growth spurt to me. It does get better, mainly because you are both still figuring each other out. You are trying to figure out what your baby wants, and your baby is trying to figure out how to communicate with you.

My DS is 9 weeks now and only now am I starting to feel like I know what is going on.

I did lots of research and so far what has worked for me is to track exactly what my baby did for a few weeks and also really pay close attention to his cries and communication.

At the start I would try to feed him whenever he was cranky but soon learnt what was and wasn't a hungry cry.

I also followed the EASY pattern (the baby whisperer book) but wasn't strict on times. Just helped me understand what my DS wanted.

But hang in there and as PP said, get as much sleep as you can even though it is broken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    i'd be cautious introducing any of the sleep-trainer methods at this stage OP - it can really mess with your milk supply.
    Good point. I waited until 8 weeks after the growth spurt and when I knew my supply was established/overflowing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kjlangel81  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen some light at the end of the tunnel! Last night she slept from 9-10 and then had an expressed bottle, and then woke at 12.50 and then 5.10. Very happy with this! Hope it continues. The interesting bit was I woke up once to her making noises and thought she was about to cry but didn't pick her up to feed her and then all of a sudden it was an hour later (and she was only starting to cry) so perhaps I was picking her up too early and she may have resettled? I thought that it was best to pick her up when I noticed early (what I thought) were hunger signs but I think by leaving her longer she may resettle herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Good news! And good work mumma!

Sometimes bubs stir when they are trying to move between sleep cycles. If we make too much fuss we can actually wake them when they wouldn't have woken otherwise.

Seems to me like you made the right call..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub must be out of the norm then ? She is 5 weeks old & usually has a couple of 3 - 4 hr sleeps during the day (can be pretty unsettled in between though but not too bad) she feeds usually every 4hrs (i won't let her go over 5 hrs during the day without a feed, even if i have to wake her) then sleeps from around 8 or 9pm - 2 - 3am (i don't wake her during the night unless she has a pooey nappy, i change her nappy & put her pj's on then wrap her at her late feed time before i feed her) then has a feed & sleeps until 6.30 or 7.30 am.

She has only been doing this since i changed her formula, before then she was very unsettled & hardly slept at all. Both DD1 & DD2 were 'sleeping through' from 5 weeks old as well.