+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 week old sleep patterns

Hi allI'm a new mum of a 6 week old DD. Im feeling like a walking zombie at the moment as she sleeps only blocks of 2.5 - 3 hours at night. She usually settles ok in between but I'm up about three times a night. Last night she fed at 10.30, 2, 4, 6 and 8. She is breastfed and is gaining weight and pooing and weeing enough She doesn't sleep heaps during the day so don't think she has her nights and days mixed up. She was previously doing roughly three hour stretches overnight but seems to have regressed lately.Anyway... Enough rambling but I guess I am asking if this is normal and when does it get better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mini I wish I had better news but my DS is 6 months and still waking at 10pm, 2pm and 5pm and needs about 5-10 small resettles a night. My boy is extreme but if your baby is settling well between feeds its probably really normal. Unless there is an underlying issue like reflux, colic, allergies etc, babies will usually settle into better patterns arou d 12 weeks my DD started sleeping through at 13 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to tell you, but 3 night wakings for a 6 week old is very good. It does and will get easier and hopefully in another few weeks you may start to get a 4-5 hour stretch overnight. Sleep whenever you can, eat plenty of healthy food, keep hydrated and get as much help as possible. Make sure bubs has a full feed each time, this will help to stretch out the time between feeds.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a relatively normal newborn pattern actually.
    but there's often a growth spurt around this time - so if you feel like she's regressed for a day or two - she might just be trying to increase your supply?

sorry to hear you're having a difficult time of it.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 22-06-2012 at 20:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to mother hood.. it is normal she will get better my suggestion get a copy of TIZZIE HALL's book
    Save Our Sleep....
    It has sleep routines, eating routines..
    My DS was a dream baby slept 4 to 5hrs a night from birth was gaining weight so never worried about feeding every 4hrs I let him sleep he slept thur the night with one dream feed from 6 weeks...and PeD said that it is fine let him
    Now DS is a terror she woke every 2hrs I'd feed her then take around 45 mins to re settle even had to move from breast to formula just to satisfy her belly.. & she hated sleeping during the day she is 5.5 months now and has slept thur the night since 4mths but 2 dream feeds
    So every child is different, she will In time find her sleep pattern...
    But give Save Our Sleep ago..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    Hi allI'm a new mum of a 6 week old DD. Im feeling like a walking zombie at the moment as she sleeps only blocks of 2.5 - 3 hours at night. She usually settles ok in between but I'm up about three times a night. Last night she fed at 10.30, 2, 4, 6 and 8. She is breastfed and is gaining weight and pooing and weeing enough She doesn't sleep heaps during the day so don't think she has her nights and days mixed up. She was previously doing roughly three hour stretches overnight but seems to have regressed lately.Anyway... Enough rambling but I guess I am asking if this is normal and when does it get better?
    Hey I think there is a growth spurt at 6 weeks which may explain the 2 hourly feedings. Hopefully it will only last for a week or so, just follow bubs lead.

At about 7-8 weeks my bubba started to do 6-8 hour stretches at night (bf). But each bub is different though and my boy was a big bubba when born so that probably makes a difference.

One thing that I think helped us is daddy gave bubba a big (200ml+) bottle of expressed milk for a dreamfeed (10pm ish). Bub slept well after that. I pumped in the morning and a little at night. I think it helped as usually at night mummy's milk supply is low and bubs aren't happy with that. But giving a bottle of BM, we got around that.

Until things start improving id say: go to bed early and sleep in late. Those first 7 weeks hubby and I were getting out of bed at 11am some days (hubby was on leave as I had a csec).

Best of luck..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjlangel81 View Post
    Welcome to mother hood.. it is normal she will get better my suggestion get a copy of TIZZIE HALL's book
    Save Our Sleep....
    It has sleep routines, eating routines..
    My DS was a dream baby slept 4 to 5hrs a night from birth was gaining weight so never worried about feeding every 4hrs I let him sleep he slept thur the night with one dream feed from 6 weeks...and PeD said that it is fine let him
    Now DS is a terror she woke every 2hrs I'd feed her then take around 45 mins to re settle even had to move from breast to formula just to satisfy her belly.. & she hated sleeping during the day she is 5.5 months now and has slept thur the night since 4mths but 2 dream feeds
    So every child is different, she will In time find her sleep pattern...
    But give Save Our Sleep ago..
    I started bub in SOS at 8 weeks (once the growth spurt was over) and he's done really well on it too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kjlangel81  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, hugs to you - it's a very hard time these first few weeks.

I read 3 books when I had my DD: I read Gina Ford, Tizzie Hall and an American one (I got off Amazon) called 12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks old. I highly recommend the latter. It's a simplified version of the other two, and teaches mainly how to stretch out feeds and get to where you want to be by about 12 weeks. And you don't really start the real "training" til 8 weeks with that book.

Give it ago! My DD started sleeping through (11 hours) from 11 weeks.

I also highly recommend having a bed time routine. Ours was bath at 6pm, massage, bottle then bed. It taught DD how to recognize that it was bedtime (and night time).

Get 12 Hours Sleep book though, it's great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey, sounds normal, your body clock will soon adjust!
    My ds1 feed 2-3 hours in the night for MONTHS AND MONTHS, however Ds2 started to sleep through from 10 weeks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'd be cautious introducing any of the sleep-trainer methods at this stage OP - it can really mess with your milk supply.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (23-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (22-06-2012),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-06-2012)