+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Was just in a car accident....do i need to replace the car seat?

This arvo ,me, DH and DD (19 mths ) were in a car crash. The damage was to the front drivers side of the car no damage to any doors, no one was injured (thank goodness), we were travelling at about 30km - 40km p/h. Air bags did not deploy and we drove the car away from the scene (although the front drivers side tyre was scraping on the wheel arch). Seat looks fine, DD didnt even seem to notice anything had happened!

According to a search online this fits all the criteria of a minor accident and the car seat doesnt need to be replaced. Its a safe n sound miridian seat. Any advice / Opinions? Thanks....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd give them a call Hun, they have a replacement scheme (just incase you didn't know) I hope you all are ok how scary

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cluky79 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whats the replacement scheme?

Yeh im pretty shaken up, if i hadnt seen the car at the last minute and braked we would have been going double the speed and hit front on. Im just glad everyone is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a look there is conditions apparently has to be a severe crash and the car has to have suffered frame damage for them to replace. I dont think that will be the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i had any doubt in my own mind about the seat, i woild replace it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From what you have described, I would just check the buckles and straps for any sign of damage. If none, I wouldn't replace it. Sounds like it was a minor crash - luckily! - and I reckon the seat would be OK.

Glad you are all ok.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is from the manual for the seat

IN CASE OF ACCIDENT
    If your restraint has been involved in a severe crash, you should destroy the restraint even if no
    damage is obvious. Some insurance companies offer vehicle insurance which covers or partially
    covers the replacement of your child restraint. Contact your insurance company for further details.
    Your insurance company may require you to keep the child restraint for assessment, but do not use
    the child restraint after a severe crash. To assist you in making an accident insurance claim cut the
    following statement and include it with your claim.
    All Safe-n-Sound child restraints are manufactured to Australian/New Zealand Standards AS/NZS1754-2010
    which requires us to advise users of child restraints to "Destroy the entire restraint if it has been in use in a
    severe crash, even if no damage is obvious". The joint Australian/New Zealand Standards committee CS/85,
    advise that this statement applies whether a child was in the child restraint or not. We consider a "server crash"
    as being one where the main body structure of the vehicle is distorted.

There is no method of determining if the restraint has been damaged and we concur with the Australian/New
    Zealand Standards in recommending destruction of the child restraint.
    This notice is to advise you of the requirements of the Australian/New Zealand Standards and our obligation in
    complying with the standards.

So it seems that the manufacturer is saying no replacement is necessary unless its a severe crash where there is chassis damage (which in that case the car would be a write off)

So im guessing i dont need to if thats not the case?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was stationary when a car hit us at 30km/hr and I replaced the seat. Not a risk I would take.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (22-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have insurance - if so talk to them as they may cover the cost of replacement.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh im with CGU comprehensive, ive already lodged a claim and they asked if any personal items had been damaged and i said no, not thinking of the car seat till afterwards. I think ill ring them Monday and ask....