+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Starf1sh View Post
    That's really poor form to be charged for a phone call, especially since you weren't advised there was a cost. In all my years of IVF I have never been charged for talking to my FS on the phone. In fact my current one called me regularly after bts and scans to discuss how my last cycle was going!

I should have said Prof Vancaillie is a gynaecological surgeon not an FS, but is very experienced in preserving the uterine environment for future pregnancies. All the best with the medical treatment option. I hope things are sorted out quickly and safely for you and a baby follows soon after!
    Hi Starf1sh,

How are you? I went to c my FS today. He told me they don't use hysteroscope in D&C coz there will be a lot blood in the cavity and hence prevents hysteroscope from working properly. I then asked him if they use ultrasound to guide, he said yes, but dont know why I just don't feel 100% about his answer. Anyway I told him I want to try the medical treatment he then wrote a letter and sent me to the nearby Liverpool hospital EPAS section. I talked to a nurse there. She told me I am not a ideal candidate for medical treatment coz my sac size of 10mm is too small. The normal range is 25mm and plus sth. so the pills might not be effective on me; but she reckon I can talk to the doctor on Friday and the doc will decide if to prescribe me the pill or not. Also she sent me for a blood test after our talk and ask me to do another one early Friday morning in the hospital before I c the doctor; she said it's standard procedure just to confirm I am miscarrying The nurse also explained the D&C surgery they do to me; not surprisingly they don't use any guidance. I told her about my concern of Asherman's syndrome; but she said it's very rare and it only happens after multiple D&C. I told her what I learnt from Asherman's syndrom org website that a single D&C can cause it with 16% of chance; she said that number's not right. She also told me I can have D&C done there on Friday if I change my mind and it's free. My FS told me the D&C done there will cost me around $2000.

Anyway I went home later. Then the nurse rang me and told me the bt showed my hcg level is 5500 which is quite low for 10 weeks.

So one more day waiting...i will go to the hospy again Friday morning hopefully the doc will agree to let me try the pills although the success chance for me seems not high; I still feel like giving it a try....i don't know.. im getting more and more lost; there's one second today I thought maybe just have the D&C done in the hospital...I had enough; i can't sleep well these days and took sleeping pills more often; I just wish to end it

I kinda get the feeling that both my FS and the nurse in Liverpool hospy prefer the D&C procedure than the medical treatment; i don't understand why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lostinsydney,

Completely understand your frustration and the desire to just move forward. I'm sorry it's proving so hard for you but it's a story I commonly hear about the public system and the medical ignorance which is out there about Asherman's.

I hope you can do the tablets this week and move forward. If not and you can afford it I'd strongly suggest going privately for the guided D&C and having it done by Buist or Vancaillie.

i hope this nightmare ends for you very soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Starf1sh View Post
    Lostinsydney,

Completely understand your frustration and the desire to just move forward. I'm sorry it's proving so hard for you but it's a story I commonly hear about the public system and the medical ignorance which is out there about Asherman's.

I hope you can do the tablets this week and move forward. If not and you can afford it I'd strongly suggest going privately for the guided D&C and having it done by Buist or Vancaillie.

i hope this nightmare ends for you very soon xx
    Hi Starf1sh,

I just called Professor Vancaille's office and found out the guided D&C performed there will cost $5000! I may get a few hundreds back from Medicare so I need to pay more than $4000; that's really expensive I have to say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you don't have any private health insurance? My surgeries were significantly less than that Good luck tomorrow lostinsydney. Will be thinking of you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to drop a quick line to the ladies who started, and have contributed to this thread.
    We were told yesterday at our 10 week scan that the baby had stopped growing in week 8, and no heart beat was detected. No outward signs of a MC, it was very upsetting. I will be going for a D&C today.
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread- I have read all the posts and feel less alone and more comforted to know that how I feel is not uncommon, and its unfortunately an all too common occurrence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Jk565 I hope your DnC goes well. We found out at our 14 week OBS appointment and I still had terrible morning sickness. Testing showed nothing wrong with me or baby it's heart just stopped beating. I feel for you. No warning is very hard. Xxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (25-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks @lilypily.
    It is hard, I feel for you as well. You think its all going well, nearly in the clear (in your case, much more in the clear) and then out of nowhere....
    We will be doing testing as well, maybe some answers in there, maybe not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all this information!

4 days ago I went for a scan at 9 weeks 2 days just to put my mind at ease and hear that heart beat again which we had heard at 7 and a half weeks. IVF baby, first pregnancy = highly aware of risks and thus wanting to keep a close eye on bub in case anything did happen. To my horror we discovered there was no longer a heart beat and bub had only made it to 8 and a half weeks.

I left the imaging clinic with the following information "your baby has no heart beat" and "Your doctor will have the report in 1 hour". That's it. I went home and rang the reception of my new OB who I had never seen yet to ask what would happen and was told a midwife would call me. She did about 4 hours later. She said "you can have D&C or you can wait and see if it happens naturally" and "If you are in severe pain or are bleeding you can present to hospital". That's it. Noone told me what to expect, what was likely, what to do in what circumstances and what would be done other than pain meds.

My sister in law had a horrible experience miscarrying naturally a bub of 7 and a half weeks. Another friend also haemorrhaged without warning and I was left thinking miscarriage was sudden and graphic and traumatic. So I decided I wanted D&C, or at least to discuss the option, ASAP. I was booked in to see the OB the 2nd day after my ultrasound with the possibility of surgery that afternoon. OB had to cancel making it an extra 4 days before I could have surgery. I have been terrified the whole time of my body not waiting and I had got quite sore since Friday night. It's now Sunday night. No other signs of anything happening.

I get to see my new ob first thing tomorrow morning to discuss my options but I'm scared of the risks of D&C because I want to start IVF again ASAP. I'm also scared of miscarrying naturally and then still running the risk of a D&C anyways.

At the very least, this thread has given me info on te options available and I will see me OB now armed with information and be able to ask better questions about risk.

thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to update and add my experience.

I mentioned Ahsermans to the OB and she explained I was low risk because I hadnt been bleeding and all the tissue was contained within the pregnancy sac.

Due to me having 5 fibroids, which had almost doubled in size since in the space of a year, she was able to get an ultrasound machine and technician so she could do the D&C with that guidance.

I am VERY pleased with my decision to have a D&C. The procedure went well and I woke up to be in LESS pain than I had been in lfor the past 3 - 4 days. The pain before surgery was getting really bad so I think my body was preparing to miscarrying naturally and expect the pain would have got a lot worse.

The amount of blood loss after surgery was pretty confronting so I hate to think what miscarrying naturally would have been like. They discovered my uterus was much bigger than expected and I swear I saw written in my notes that it was the size of 16 - 18 week pregnancy, despite me being at 10 weeks. So the amount of tissue loss would have been pretty traumatic. I was much better able to cope with the blood loss after surgery knowing that none of it was the baby - that made it less scary. They also managed to do the surgery with suction only.

And of course they were able to send tissue away for testing, which likely wont show anything but at least we wont miss an answer if there is one to be found there.

I found the whole experience very healing and had been worried about feeling empty and was amazed instead how much relief both hubby and I felt. All the staff were very sensitive and caring re the nature of the procedure.

I am very thankful though for the information in this thread as I was able to go in armed with some knowledge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furbabymum View Post
    Just wanted to update and add my experience.

I mentioned Ahsermans to the OB and she explained I was low risk because I hadnt been bleeding and all the tissue was contained within the pregnancy sac.

Due to me having 5 fibroids, which had almost doubled in size since in the space of a year, she was able to get an ultrasound machine and technician so she could do the D&C with that guidance.

I am VERY pleased with my decision to have a D&C. The procedure went well and I woke up to be in LESS pain than I had been in lfor the past 3 - 4 days. The pain before surgery was getting really bad so I think my body was preparing to miscarrying naturally and expect the pain would have got a lot worse.

The amount of blood loss after surgery was pretty confronting so I hate to think what miscarrying naturally would have been like. They discovered my uterus was much bigger than expected and I swear I saw written in my notes that it was the size of 16 - 18 week pregnancy, despite me being at 10 weeks. So the amount of tissue loss would have been pretty traumatic. I was much better able to cope with the blood loss after surgery knowing that none of it was the baby - that made it less scary. They also managed to do the surgery with suction only.

And of course they were able to send tissue away for testing, which likely wont show anything but at least we wont miss an answer if there is one to be found there.

I found the whole experience very healing and had been worried about feeling empty and was amazed instead how much relief both hubby and I felt. All the staff were very sensitive and caring re the nature of the procedure.

I am very thankful though for the information in this thread as I was able to go in armed with some knowledge.
    So sorry for your loss. I had a very similar experience at 14 weeks. Being 2 days before Christmas OBS too me in there and then for DnC and it was a very gentle procedure with next to no bleeding at all. It was almost to easy for the emotional train wreck that comes with a missed miscarriage.