+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you MrsBtobe. I have edited the post on medical management to include a note on lack of availability. I had to really push to get it at my local hospital and many of the doctors had no clue on how to use it but at least they had it. I would have been devastated if I was forced into a D&C due to lack of options. That is just wrong.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

MrsBtobe  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prof V is amazing! He came and held my hand while the Dr was explaining the anasthetic! So much care and compassion. I felt safe, and cared for, and that the condition of my uterus was as important to him as it is to me and my amazing, rock strong Fiance.

Cost of Initial appt with Prof V:
    $285 - Rebate from Medicare was $72.75

So I'm home. As I am uninsured the costs today were:
    Prof V - $500 (He usually has you pay up front but I will be paying on Monday)
    Prince of Wales Private - $1973 (Payable on admission at the latest or no admission)
    Anasthetic - Dr Susan George: Quote provided for one hour was $675. Dr George then adjusts this according to surgery time and then mails an invoice in 14 days.
    Laverty Pathology Bill arrived via mail dated 30.05.2013. Payment is due 29.06.2013 - $244.10. They allow a month to pay which is great.

Post Op appointment with Prof V (6 weeks later) - free! Cost is included in the $500 fee.

I will update next week with rebates etc from Medicare if any.

I hope this helps someone,somewhere. Xx

TOTAL Out of Pocket $2137.25:
    Professor Vancaillie initial appt: $285 Medicare Rebate: $72.75 Out of Pocket: $202.25
    Prof V surgery (item no. 35640): $500 Medicare Rebate: $137.25 Out of pocket: $565.00
    Prince of Wales Private: $1973 estimate reduced to $1212 final fee on 01.07.2013. Itemised bill sent from Hospital along with a refund cheque. Medicare Rebate: NIL Out of Pocket: $1212
    Dr Susan George: Awaiting Bill
    Laverty Pathology testing: $244.20 Medicare Rebate: $86.20 Out of pocket: $158

- Update 05.06.2013
    Bill for testing of tissue $245.
    - Update 06.06.2013
    Rebate
    - Update 24.06.2013
    Post Op appt. Still no fee from Dr George.
    - Update 09.07.2013
    Hospital Cost.
    Last edited by MrsBtobe; 09-07-2013 at 23:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting all this information. I will be discussing my options tomorrow with an OB tomorrow. My 8w ultrasound today showed that I didn't make it past 6w4d.

I am feeling anxious, 1st time miscarriage, 1st time pregnant. I have to fast before my appointment tomorrow in case I have to go for a d&c. I hope this doctor is open and informed about my options.

Again thanks for the info, it has helped.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nippy For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Nippy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Stay strong. If you do have a D&C, DEMAND antibiotics tomorrow and book the D&C for sometime after Friday. A missed miscarriage carries a 30% risk of Ashermans with no antibiotics.
    I'm here if you have any questions or just want to talk.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't know that antibiotics could reduce the risk of asherman's. I learn something new everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Professor Vancaillie prescribed antibiotics prior to my d&c explaining that it is the combination of infection and manipulation that cause scar tissue. He also prescribes us antibiotics prior to each surgery for AS as well. Such a small thing that could make so much difference. Neither my GP or the public hospital offered me antibiotic at either of my miscarriages. The first MC resulted in AS from the public hospitals D&C. So well worth kicking up a fuss for.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is fantastic to see awareness of all the options available to women being more widely discussed here and ultimately giving women more control over their fertility health. As regards to Asherman's I think it is really important to highlight that it is trauma to the endometrial lining which most commonly causes scarring eg. from cuts made into the uterine lining following surgery such as a D&C, myomectomy, or less commonly from a C-section scar which triggers the wound healing response and leads to adhesions forming. This is why the International Asherman's Association promotes medical evacuation of tissue such as misoprostal rather than surgical options as a first line and therefore prevent AS in the first place. Infections on their own such as PID can also cause scarring, however more commonly infection (such as that generated by leaving a missed mc untreated) can exacerbate the scarring as MrsB has rightly pointed out.

I would urge anyone who is interested in knowing more to go to the official AS page www.ashermans.org which is regularly updated with current research or join the yahoo group which has a wealth of info from thousands of women across the world battling AS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Thank you so much ladies for that additional information. They didn't mention antibiotics to me at all in the hospital. To everyone who has had input so far. You have helped to make this thread the valuable resource it is becoming. It's such a hard topic to talk about that women are too often left in the dark about their options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is very rarely any talk about Ashermans. I believe most of us self diagnosed and were then met with disbelief and slight ridicule at times. I know I was personally made to feel like I was imagining things. I knew in my gut there was something wrong though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am begging for some advice or opinion.

I got pregnant through an IVF circle last December. Went for 7 week u/s early Jan and saw the 5mm fetus and heartbeat of 110(6w2d). but on a 8 week repeat scan we saw no more heartbeat with the fetus still of 5mm. Went back to the clinic, I was told of missed miscarriage and the FS gave me two options: wait for the miscarriage to happen naturally or D & C. I mentioned medication one, he then said that’s also optional but I need to do it in a hospital.

I choose to go home and wait as I am so scared of D&C. Now 2 weeks passed nothing happened while I am getting more and more anxious and worried. It’s been most horrible 2 weeks in my life. The failure of pregnancy is painful enough now I still have to deal with the **** of making an extremely difficult decision. I’ve done much research online. It seems the medication treatment has 60%-70% successful rate so it’s still quite possible you will need a D&C after it. The pills inserted vaginally could be more effective than that taken orally but they might cause cervix rupture. FS has confirmed with me that the hospital which performs medication treatment does provide pills to insert vaginally. As to the D&C, it seems to be an easier and faster solution while it has the risk of creating scar issue and uterus perforation etc. FS has also confirmed with me that D&C will be performed under general. The medication treatment in hospital is free of charge; the D&C done in private hospital will cost a couple of thousands as I don’t have private insurance though I can claim a few hundreds back from Medicare.

Now to make things more complicated, I have a cervix polyp. I didn’t have it removed before coz my FS told me it won’t likely affect my pregnancy due to the location of it. But last week I received a copy letter of what he sent to my GP; I found in the letter he states that “the miscarriage might be caused by endometrium abnormalities such as the cervix polyps. I researched online but there seems no consensus on whether cervix polyps can cause miscarriage.

I don’t know which to decide. Go for the D&C to have both dead fetus and polyp removed seems to be suitable, but it will cost a lot and I am so scared of knifes cutting of my uterus. Or shall I go for the free medication one first, if successful do the surgery for polyps later in a public hospital for free… if not successful then do the D&C for both issue? I might suffer twice then…

I m struggling everyday and feel emotionally drained day by day. Don't know how long I can hold before I collapse.

Thank you for those who read my whole article;

Highly appreciated to those who can help share some opinion or suggestion.

Best regards