+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often do you buy toys?

How often do you buy toys for your kids and for what reason?

I was surprised in one of the threads on the toy sales a few people said they only ever buy toys for birthdays and christmas.

I must admit I love shopping and I love toys so its hard for me to limit buying them. We only buy large things like bikes, lego sets and expensive things they want for birthdays and christmas.

However we do buy smaller things through the year. Sometimes we go to a shopping centre on the weekend to have lunch and the kids get to pick one toy $20 or under. Sometimes I just see something I know they would like and I save it for a rainy day. My sons friend got a toy for a good report card.

There are plenty of times we go to the shops and look but not buy. I don't want them expecting something every time.

When my older kids were toddlers I would buy them a hot wheels car each week when shopping. Now they are at school I don't buy them but I may start getting 2 year old dd something small for behaving when shopping soon.
    Last edited by austmum; 22-06-2012 at 18:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS' birthday is in January so he does get toys throughout the year - but not regularly. More when we think he would really benefit from something new to suit his growing/changing development. Eg. we got him some blocks recently because it suits the stage of development he's at. But I do try to limit toys to birthday and Christmas. I think in general kids have way too many toys these days.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We only buy toys at birthday and christmas time here.

They get art supplies and books for no reason tho we dont have alot of money, andnthey simply dont need it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another that thinks most kids have way too many toys.

My weakness is books and craft stuff. I have put myself on a book ban for the next few months at least lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    MOSTLY only birthday and Christmas.

Very rarely will I get something in between. Luckily, her birthday is July, so it's kind of in the middle of the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quite often. If I see something she'll like, 'just because' or if it's been a while and I think something new would be fun.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have stopped buying toys - we have enough, in fact I do a cull every week.

I do though buy books, craft stuff and puzzles pretty regularly

Thanks
    Reviews
    we buy one toy for bday and another for xmas. We encourage family to chip in to buy one big present vs lots of small things. Last year for DD1's 1st bday and Xmas - my mum, brother and grandparents chipped in and bought her a playhouse with a slide attached. I'd rather that than 6 smaller presents that will get broken or forgotten in a few months.

my MIL/FIL tho buy randomly and mostly HUGE stuffed toys that we cant get rid of and DD1 has no interest in.

This year my parents have asked what to get DD1 for her 2nd bday and we suggest options for them ie my Dad will get her an art easel or sandpit. My brother is buying her a big box of duplo blocks and my mum is organizing swimming classes.

But we all exchange books for easter - so DD1 scored big time then.

I should add that DH regularly buys DD1 stuff (that she doesnt need or has but has never played/used) and I return them soon after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never. Birthdays and Christmas only.
    Arts and crafts or a book/packet of footy cards as a special reward maybe once or twice a month. Completely foreign concept to me to buy toys "just because".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Quite often. If I see something she'll like, 'just because' or if it's been a while and I think something new would be fun.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Sorry just read your post and I didn't mean any offence in mine!