+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding to Bottle Feeding

Hi Lovely Ladies,

After an emotional roller coaster of a pregnancy with me not thinking I had this hugely strong bond with my second child, I am happy to say my gorgeous DD arrived and has made me a very happy Mummy again. Im in love!! Again!

I just actually wanted to find out how many Mummies are Breast or Bottle Feeding as I really find it interesting on how many are able to or persevere with breastfeeding.

If your happy to comment then copy this below and pop in your details.

Gender - DD1
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - 14 Months
    Details - Troubles at the start with grazes on both nipples, healed around 6/8 weeks in. Really was amazed how long I went with this as was in agony and needed to see 2 different lactation consultants, use nipple shields and all the creams under the sun.

Gender - DD2
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - Current
    Details - She had a tongue tie, which was snipped this week to help with feeding. Trouble with minor grazes, still slight pain.

Thanks All.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gender - DS1
    Type - Breastfed/Bottlefed
    Age Stopped - 3 months (bf) 14 months (bottle)
    Details - Previous breast reduction meant i had to comp feed from 3 days old. By 2 months he didn't want boob (realised bottle was much easier) so I expressed for a month until just swapping over to straight formula.

Gender - DD1
    Type - Breastfed/Bottlefed
    Age Stopped - 3 months (bf) currently still on bottle
    Details - Exactly the same as with ds1, despite motillium, expressing etc. She bf'd till 3 months and then refused anything but the bottle. This time around there was a lot less guilt as I was prepared for it happening.

DS1 is now nearly 10 years old (happy, healthy!)
    and DD1 is 8 months old (happy, healthy!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gender - DS1
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - 20 Months
    Details - had major troubles with latching on, severe grazes and flat nipples. Used nipple shields for the entire 20 months - self weaned when i was pregnant with DD

Gender - DD
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - Still feeding at 11 months
    Details - No issues what so ever. Latched on straight aster birth. Had slight tenderness for a few days but all good. DD refuses the bottle though and likes to breastfeed all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gender: DDType: BreastfedAge stopped: Still breastfeeding, she turns 2 next week.Details: Very rough start, I wanted out of hospital ASAP so didn't stay long enough to get help with latch. Started using nipple shields day 3. Bad reflux and low supply led to her losing weight between 7-9 weeks and paed advising me to express and bottle feed all feeds. Luckily the lovely ladies on here gave me far better advice and I started motillium & fenugreek and expressing/feeding basically non stop! It was exhausting but it did the trick and DD started gaining again. Now at 23 months she is a massive booby monster still and I'm trying unsuccessfully to wean!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gender - DS (only have one child lol)
    Type - Breastfed (formula as well after 4 months)
    Age Stopped - 14 Months with breast and 11 months with formula.
    Details: He was born prem and had no sucking reflex. He was tubefed for 2 days.
    I had problems with my milk coming in due to him being born with an elective cesarean. Spent 10 days in hospital after his birth trying to get him to BF. On day 9 they finally gave me Motilium and my milk came in the next day, so we were allowed to go home. It did mean that DS spent his very first Christmas in hospital
    Breastfed exclusively til 4 months. Had to start combination formula and breast because he got very bad reflux.
    Was forced to stop breastfeeding at 14 months because he was hospitalized and was that badly congested, that he could not feed and breathe at the same time. So he had to wean himself. A sad time, but nothing could be done about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Type: breastfed
    Age stopped: 24 months + 2/3 weeks
    Details: grazed nipples and trouble latching for first few weeks, pumped and fed until it healed. Took about 5 weeks to really get a good rhythm. Demand fed. He had reflux and didn't sleep through until 1.5yrs old but well worth it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gender - Ds 1
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - still going, 24 1/2 months, hating it now
    Details - determined I would breast feed after being told not to 'count' on it working, took 4 days to latch, hospitalised at 7 weeks nil by mouth had to pump and freeze for a week, major supply dip and weight issues as a result.

Extreme pain from 15 months til now.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gender - Ds1
    Type - Breastfed/bottlefed
    Age Stopped - 8mths
    Details - Started off hard, grazed nipples, cracked and bleeding. Was incredibly painful but i pushed through it. Though he attached perfectly from the beginning. I used lansinoh lots. It got better. Then at 5mths he started biting with his two teeth. I tried everything to stop him, then tried it all again. He would bite and draw blood every time. I got infections in my nipple. At 7mths he popped 5 more teeth, a total of 7. He bit me a few times so i started weaning him. He was put on formula, took it easily, i stopped giving him formula at about 18mths.

Gender - Ds2
    Type - Breastfed
    Age Stopped - Current
    Details - Started easily, hardly any pain. He attached perfectly first go. We haven't had any problems yet, apart from a little blister from him wanting it all night the other night. ds2 is now 13mths. My goal is 2yrs.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 22-06-2012 at 23:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Type: Breastfed
    Aged stopped: Still feeding ( DS is 8.5 months)
    Details: We had massive problems with attaching at the start, had severely cracked and blistered nipples and got mastitis when DS was 6 days old. Saw a lactation consultant when DS was 8 days old which was a life saver! Have recently had to deal with six weeks of biting which was agony but no biting in the last couple of weeks . Love bf and look forward to hopefully continuing to bf for a long while yet.