+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have worked in a daycare center before, I was there 6 months and then I had my first child. That was 8 years ago though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This might sound crazy but if you want to work in childcare, why don't you do home daycare? You will be able to see your children when it suits you and they will also have playmates if you choose to care when you have them. I know heaps of people who do this and they make good money.
    I worked in childcare for 3-4 yrs the government was offering 10 ppl a 12 week payed placement which gave you a look at what the job was like and studying a couple of modules to cert. III in children's services. I got a job with my placement place 3 weeks in and began studying the cert. Anyway rambling. Most places are happy to take on someone who has begun studying as apposed to putting on a trainee because they have to pay for the cert in a traineeship. Also when I was working unqualified to qualified my pay went up just over $1 an hour. And if you are studying and working you can claim it on tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    in the childcare course I did last yeah (though ppp via clink ) there were 16 year olds, 20 year olds, a few mums with primary & high school aged kids and a (youngish) grandma it really is an industry for anyone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you thought about doing an enrolled nurses course? It's 18 months at tafe.

Or a cert 3 in aged care? Not sure how long that course is but mystics no 1 fan has just done one..maybe she will be in to tell you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you want to do childcare you could just go to TAFE for the next 6 months and do the Cert 3. They should be taking enrollments now or within the next week for next semester.
    Once you've finished that you can decide to if you want to do a higher certificate or try and get a job. In childcare it shouldn't be too hard.
    I think Vic offers exemptions on course fees like NSW, doesn't it?
    I did a cert 3 this semester and only had to pay $53 for the course, another $50 for materials and buy 2 textbooks that cost about $110. I got the education entry payment which was $208 so that covered all those fees.
    I got PES which is $60 a fn for FT time study and I got JET which lowered my childcare fees to $1 per day and afterschool care to 30c per day.
    If you want to do it definitely start looking into it now otherwise you might miss the cut off for next semester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hey cass, have you actually thought about what you want to do? I did my aged care coarse through a company that the govt pays for people to do them. My coarse was only a short one and worked out well as i was employeed from doing placement.

I wanted to do aged care for so long but struggled with tafe as DS was much younger. I am in the right industry, just gotta work out the correct path as i have so my options open to me now.

Have a look around in your local papers for different coarses that are offered. Some are free, others you can pay off. Even get your daily paper that has all the jobs listed(ours is saturday)

Originally i thought i would do daycare because there is always work but once i sat down and thought about it more i decided no because i honestly didnt wanna deal with other children and constantly being sick while my immune built up.

Not sure if there is somewhere that can help guide you onto the correct career path for you unless job networks do(i remember doing one years and years ago through one of them) to just give me a slight hint of what could suit me well.

Find something that will let you be you but also once you leave work, you can be mum. Work out your options of what is challenging but interesting, something you wont regret doing.

Think of something that is also family friendly. I can get work with the snap of my fingers but its hard as i dont have people to help all the time with before school drop off as my day shift is meant to start at 6:30am but before school care doesnt open til that time.

By me being able to find the right job for me, i have got many options for the future and plan on doing my RN(not bothering with EEN if i can do without it) but i am stuck being an AIN until DS is at least early teens as the hours are not family friendly at all but none the less, i love it.

Dont take the first thing you can think of, do some research cass and go from there. Nothing worse than being stuck in a job you dont enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

babycake  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I am not entirely sure what I want to do as I haven't worked for a long time, but there are a few free/very cheap short courses I am interested in. One is a business admin one it goes for 18 weeks every second Tuesday and you get a laptop at the end for $50, it would get more foot in the door somewhere. I will look around for childcare courses and talk to Centerlink and see if they can help in someway with fees etc. I wouldn't mind nursing either, grrrrr hard decesions.

Bec, I think daycare is more family friendly for me, I could potentially have N in there with me and for now when the girls aren't living with me I can still see them on weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a few of those career quiz thingys on the net and they all say I should do something to do with helping others in the community like childcare or nursing or search and rescue or whatever.

One said I should be a housewife though lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cass,

Thought I'd post this here incase it's soemthing your interested in - http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...ildcare-career

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

mum2bubba  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am starting a course in for weeks .

I am studying certificate 3 in childrens' services, it's a 13 week course, plus 4 weeks placement and first aid. And it's nationally recognised. I only have to pay just over $150 which includes fee, books and a t-shirt which I have to wear to training.

Cannot wait to start and its two days a week so I am hoping to find a part time job somewhere too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mum2bubba For This Useful Post:

Littlemissmetal  (29-06-2012)