+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear. Your not the only one, we rent too and I drove too fast into the garage last week and ran into the wall There is now a nice dent in the wall, my husband thought it was very funny. I'd just call them to let them know and i'm sure they will tell you what to do.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nawwww you poor thing ! Try not to stress too much as you're going to fix it, and it was a mistake that so many of us could make.

I left the iron on to answer to phone and the cat jumped up and knocked it onto the carpet. By the time I walked back with the phone there was a perfect iron mark on the carpet . I freaked and called the real estate straight away and they were lovely, I think they could tell by my voice I was genuinely upset and apologetic. They made a note of it and when our next inspection came around I took the agent straight to the mark and showed her, she actually laughed it off and told me not to worry, the landlord had off cuts from when it was laid but was planning on replacing it in the next year so wasn't worried in the least.

I think as long as you admit to it sooner rather than later and are prepared to pay for the damage they can't really hold it against you.

Best of luck and I hope you're RE and landlord are understanding.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Accidents happen. I think the landlord should feel lucky to have a tenant who is honest and willing to fix the damage. I would be upfront and tell them about it prior to the inspection. Is the damage very obvious? Just explain you are happy to pay and go without a garage while you gather the money to get it fixed. In e meantime i guess it wouldn't hurt for you to get your own quote just so you know an approx cost just so you can start budgeting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we own our own house and when our garage door came off its hinges we called the maufacturer/company and they sent out a guy to fix it. All up it was only $165, so not too much. Our home insurance excess is like $500 so cheaper for us to pay to get it fixed.
    Just tell them ASAP and i'm sure it will all work out ok.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    gosh hon these things happen

a dear friend of mine was reversing out in the car .. her hubby put his drink in the drink holder (where she had just thrown the remote for the garage) and his drink pushed the button .. and the door came down on the car WHILE they were reversing out ...

so dont feel bad - it WAS an accident .. and I do believe that honesty is the best policy - just be apologetic.

on a slightly different topic - can you still get your car OUT??? since the door wont go up or down??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you claim it on your car insurance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    Could you claim it on your car insurance?
    Op you mentioned in the title you damaged something!!

Something, are you ok? Did you need to see a doctor?

He he he , just my weird sense of humour.
    On a serious note op, I really hope you get things sorted ok and that your landlord is understanding.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

something  (28-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drove through the driveway gate at my rental place and knocked it down completely (terrified my poor dog ) and it fell apart. I just called my real estate and told them what happened and promised I'd get it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. As long as they don't have to fight with you to get it repaired I doubt they'd mind. Accidents happen and I'm sure real estates deal with things like this on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have tenants in our unit and they broke heaps of stuff and just fixed it all. When we went and did an inspection they were packing it 'cus they replaced the whole carpet and a door. we were like sweet! New stuff! Winning!

But yeah probably tell the property manager...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had a rental property, it was a 10 year old lowset brick house at the time and i was over to do my first inspection, and was standing in front of the front door. the nephew who was about 7? (ish) gets in the car, which kickstarted somehow and it drove straight into the house!! I was so lucky i managed to jump out of the way, it missed me by cms'!! I could see the whole front of the house was structually moved/damaged, cracks appeared everywhere, it was horrendous, and inside the house, all the lino on the floor had been pushed up, so he'd pretty much ''moved'' the house in some way. I understood it was an accident, kids are kids, and the tenant was horrified and kept repeating, omg, im so sorry!! I claimed it on my insurance, from what i can remember, (now this was about 7 years ago. lol.) i just had to pay my excess... and the insurance covered the rest. and no i didn't evict him, he ended up being one of the best tenants ever!!