+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need some advise. Rental property. I damaged something..

Last edited by Liddybugs; 27-04-2014 at 20:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry too much. If I were you, I would ring the real estate and inform them what happened and see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you notify the landlord, they organise someone then the bill is sent to you. My friend broke something in her house and that's what happened. The landlord will probably have a preferred company they use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our real-estate agreed to a payment plan when we 'broke' the dishwasher.
    Maybe ask about doing that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no I would just ring them explain all of the above and see what they say.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I Would ring and explain what happened. Ask what the process is and see if they will let you get quotes. I have found that lanlords can be pretty understanding and may put it on insurance or have it fixed and you could possibly organise a payment plan with them to say pay an extra $50 a week ontop of your rent until the debt is paid off. That way you don't have to come up with the money straight away.

I don't think they would refuse you another 6 month lease over an accident

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ring them. Honesty is always best. They will appreciate you being up front and notifying them, hope its not too expensive

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh whoopsy! id just call the real estate agent and tell them u had an accident. They should organise someone to come out and see the damage.Yer, you will prob have to pay for the repair (bugger!) but as it was ur fault i guess thats the price you pay. I dont know much about payment plans, but the landlord would have to have house insurance which would mean you wouldnt ned to pay upfront all of it straight away (it would be done thru the insurer). Ask for a quote so you know what your up for.
    Accidents happen. The worst thing you could do was not tell them about it before your next inspection.
    Goodluck and i wouldnt stress over it.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 22-06-2012 at 15:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you I'd call the agent and tell them what happened. Explain that you will pay to repair it but that you can't afford it atm. Offer to sign something stating you acknowledge you did the damage and will pay for it. I don't think the landlord will be too concerned as long as you do pay for it. After all it is you that has to go without the use of the automatic door until you do fix it. Wait to see what your agent has to say, it is better to own up to it now rather than wait for inspection. If you've been there for 2yrs anyway there shouldn't be a problem with renewing the lease

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I used to be a property manager and I can give you some advice that will hopefully help. First of all stop stressing as it wasn't damage out of neglect, it was an accident and it happens to the best of us. You must contact the realestate though and they will notify the owner. This sort of thing happened alot when i was in realestate and in most cases the landlords just charged the tenant the excess on their insurance which usually isn't too much. I would be very suprised if they don't renew your lease if like you said the property is always neat and tidy and there hasn't been any rent payment problems. I've never had a landlord turn back a renewal over an accident. I've seen alot worse than that so try not to worry yourself. I hope this helps

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondi83 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-06-2012),MissMuppet  (22-06-2012),nelle7250  (23-06-2012)