+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best age for solid foods??

Just wondering what the best age is to start on solid foods? How often do they have it? Are you supposed to give them bottle and solid? So many questions! Tried google but every link gives me a completely different answer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We did baby led weaning , if you are interested there is a great book by Gil Rapley which will explain everything!

We started right on 6 months, when he could sit properly, had lost his tongue reflex and could pick things up, we gave bottles first then about half and hour to an hour later we sat him up with us at lunch and dinner and put food on his tray, the first month he was learning to chew and swallow but did get some small amounts in, by 7 months he was being offered food 3 times a day plus snacks , by 8 months he ate what we did but still offered bottles first

We started with broccoli , cucumber, avocado, banana and egg then added salmon, all other veggies and fruits and chicken and meat at 7 months by 8 months he had tried just about everything including prawns and duck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sounds like a good eater. Was he having his normal size bottles, or did you cut them down so he would eat more food after?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You'll get a lot of different answers to this! Hopefully everyone will be content to share what they do without making a deal out of other people's choices

I wait until as close to 6 months as I can, but every baby is different and some just seem hungrier and ready for solids earlier. You'll hear a lot of people recommend 6 months because baby's tummy is more developed and can now handle all that extra processing, and also because before 6 months their kidneys etc are still pretty tiny, and don't always do well being overloaded with things like salt (which occurs naturally in many solids).

I start with fruits, (stewed apples, pears, then moving onto bananas) then vegetables, baby cereal etc. I've heard people say that you should start with vegies or they become accustomed to sweet things, but my own experience of four vegetable loving children who were all started on fruit tells me differently.

Over the next couple of months we move onto meats, Weet-Bix, Arrowroots, toast. I like pureed foods, but will give things like a stalk of broccoli pretty early on. I often buy Rafferty's pouches to start with; I find that they puree much better than I do, and I can figure out just what bub likes and then make it myself, instead of making huge batches of something they just turn their nose up at.

In the early stages I give a bottle first, but now (at 9 months) I find that she'll often have her bottle and solids at different times.

I hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooty33 View Post
    Thanks sounds like a good eater. Was he having his normal size bottles, or did you cut them down so he would eat more food after?
    He dropped his first bottle ( mid morning one) at 9 months, the afternoon one at ten months, I only offered his morning bottle first by 11 months and by 12 months he just had his morning one and one before bed, by ten months they just naturally eat more so he will stop drinking when he is ready but before then I would keep up his bottles to ensure he is getting all his required nutrition

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mooty33  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys were both breast fed up to 12 months but we started them on runny solids from 3 months and they just loved it. Just the cereal mix with extra iron as I was pretty annemic. I still fed like normal till about 10 months when the solids started taking over. The kids stomachs seem to process basic foods pretty easy but stuff like corn and sultanas they had trouble with and would exit intact and put me off eating them so I would try once and see what came out them adjust the diet accordingly. I gave them solid biscuits at 6 months to help their teeth come through and once they had a few teeth they got steamed veg and apple to chew and bread and soft biscuits etc.
    Last edited by natct; 22-06-2012 at 14:55.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to natct For This Useful Post:

Mooty33  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    You'll get a lot of different answers to this! Hopefully everyone will be content to share what they do without making a deal out of other people's choices

I wait until as close to 6 months as I can, but every baby is different and some just seem hungrier and ready for solids earlier. You'll hear a lot of people recommend 6 months because baby's tummy is more developed and can now handle all that extra processing, and also because before 6 months their kidneys etc are still pretty tiny, and don't always do well being overloaded with things like salt (which occurs naturally in many solids).

I start with fruits, (stewed apples, pears, then moving onto bananas) then vegetables, baby cereal etc. I've heard people say that you should start with vegies or they become accustomed to sweet things, but my own experience of four vegetable loving children who were all started on fruit tells me differently.

Over the next couple of months we move onto meats, Weet-Bix, Arrowroots, toast. I like pureed foods, but will give things like a stalk of broccoli pretty early on. I often buy Rafferty's pouches to start with; I find that they puree much better than I do, and I can figure out just what bub likes and then make it myself, instead of making huge batches of something they just turn their nose up at.

In the early stages I give a bottle first, but now (at 9 months) I find that she'll often have her bottle and solids at different times.

I hope that helps
    This does help my son is only 4 months, and he is pretty good with his routine (last bottle at 8pm then wakes at 4am) but lately he's been waking earlier and wanting more feeds...his bottles are 200ml now and if I give him more he won't drink it, he only sticks to the 200ml. it's like he wants to snack between feeds. Don't know if I should give him 50ml between bottles to keep him going...or make him wait out the 4 hours (he usually has a bottle every 3 and a half to 4 hours except night time) Or people have told me to try the purée baby food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

I hope that helps
    Great advice lambjam. Also don't worry if you try at 6 months and they are not interested, DS wasn't really interested in solids until 9 months, first mainly apple purée, then a toast only phase.... He's 2.5 now and is a good eater, he even eats green veggies!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Mooty33  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second was started on solids mainly because we were trying to get him to sleep through the night. My dad said they used to bog us down with custard at night to sleep better. I also had him on water inbetween feeds as we live in a hot place and I wouldn't generally go without a drink between feeds so he didn't either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Water sounds like a good idea, might try that