+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    ... but... so... how could they stop that?

If someone wants to be a surrogate - privately arranged. Via ivf or however - births baby and then nominates the couple to legally adopt the baby...? which stage does the government step in and say "ahem you can't do that?"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I would assume that fertility clinics would turn them down in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    it is already virtually impossible to adopt within australia. and they put limits on the number of overseas adoptions.

so 'banning' or even restricting the chances of everyday people to have children through ivf etc. is appalling. and imo contravenes the EEO act, especially against same sex couples.

i'm a greens supporter and not really surprised at the christian party hooking up with the liberals. hopefully everyone will remember that when the federal election comes around. i know labour isn't great but surely better than this? if not, vote for one of the minorities so that the senate is made up of different factions so debate - REAL debate can occur before laws are passed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-06-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So how would they stop a, for example, male gay couple who use their semen to impregnate a woman who wants to be a surrogate? Done entirely privately, using at-home artificial insemination methods, no clinics or ivf at all.
    Baby is born and then the birth mother privately adopts it out to the gay couple?

Where would be the step-in then? At that point would they ban the adoption?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had the exact same thought ToughLove. I would guess that they would bar the couple from adopting the child as there is no way they could stop the turkey baster approach. Unless they banned turkey basters. Perhaps that is the next ban.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and say I can see the merits for a de facto couple waiting two years but as for single sex couples and same sex couples being banned that is preposterous!!! What century are we in????
    I will agree that a 2 year minimum on the relationship is fair enough, but all the rest is absurd.
    I also agree that with all of the problems in this state, there must be better ways to spend time than on stripping people of their dream of having and raising a child in an environment of love.

As MsMummy said, it hasn't happened yet but, let's be honest, who is there to oppose it.

So sick of this state pinning all of it's pride on a football game but actively seeking to keep people who want to commit to each other, or to have much-wanted children from doing so and dragging us back 30 or 40 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was talking to my OB during my 6 week post partum checkup after having DS. He works for Sydney IVF and I asked him if single women can have IVF if they provide their own sperm donor.
    He said he wouldn't do it because Australian tax payers wont be happy to pay more tax for yet another single parent on a pension.
    I got seriously pee'd off with that statement
    Not every single parent sits on their bum all day! A lot of them actually work and pay taxes themselves!
    I work voluntary and I pay income tax on a recently awarded (small) compensation payment that I will start getting paid monthly, so why should I not be allowed to give my son a sibling without having to hook up with a guy, or go to a pub and grab some guy to have a one night stand with? (Risking STD/STI's which increases the chance of me and/or my child needing future medical assistance which will burden the tax payer as well).

Same thing for surrogacy. He would not participate in an IVF process for surrogacy for a single parent.
    Though it would be mainly single men who would need to surrogacy as women can try self insemination or just pick up a guy at the pub.
    I think society doesn't like single men having babies, it's not acceptable

Yes I fear a lot of controversie is coming to Australia if Liberals take over the government. It will be a dark day and Australia will socially be set back another 50 years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (23-06-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    it is already virtually impossible to adopt within australia. and they put limits on the number of overseas adoptions.

so 'banning' or even restricting the chances of everyday people to have children through ivf etc. is appalling. and imo contravenes the EEO act, especially against same sex couples.

i'm a greens supporter and not really surprised at the christian party hooking up with the liberals. hopefully everyone will remember that when the federal election comes around. i know labour isn't great but surely better than this? if not, vote for one of the minorities so that the senate is made up of different factions so debate - REAL debate can occur before laws are passed.
    You know what, I have so little faith in the voting public and their motivations on polling day that I firmly believe that the mad monk will be our next pm. Sadly, people will punish JG for the carbon tax (which I think is a good thing, the tax that is) but people seem to only be able to see it in terms of higher prices on electricity etc. JG must not call and election until people have an opportunity to see the tax cuts in action. Arrrrgghhh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I had the exact same thought ToughLove. I would guess that they would bar the couple from adopting the child as there is no way they could stop the turkey baster approach. Unless they banned turkey basters. Perhaps that is the next ban.
    If it's a "turkey baster" privately - for a same sex couple I'd assume 1. two men? and 2. the baby would be biologically related to one of them? so as far as the gov is concerned in that scenario the "step father" is adopting baby? because the bio father IS the father. really by banning it it can still be done - its just messier.

.... question though.... is the baby often made from the surrogate mothers egg as well? I imagine that would be hard getting a surrogate and an egg donor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    to clarify I mean banning it is stupid, pointless and offensive. not to say "oh well they can still get a baby" - it would be hard enough to find a surrogate, fund the process without throwing in so many potential legal challenges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    You know what, I have so little faith in the voting public and their motivations on polling day that I firmly believe that the mad monk will be our next pm. Sadly, people will punish JG for the carbon tax (which I think is a good thing, the tax that is) but people seem to only be able to see it in terms of higher prices on electricity etc. JG must not call and election until people have an opportunity to see the tax cuts in action. Arrrrgghhh.

You know what? I find Australia, the UK and the US, slightly nondemocratic countries.
    Where I come from, the system is a lot more fair. You have 12 parties. The one who gets the most votes, wins. The leader of that party gets to be PM and gets to choose a government. Simple. That way you always get the party that the people really want to win.

Here in Australia, when it comes to the government, it doesn't matter on what party you vote. Your vote will automatically go to either Labour or Liberals, even though you believe the Greens and their leader, would do a much better job at running the country.
    So really, how does this system reflect the choice of Australian citizens???

*Steps off soapbox and gets back to topic*

I think the 2 year relationship thing is sensible. Yet how would this work for a single person? They need to be single for less than 2 years??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-06-2012)