Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, for everyone's information.

Those in public housing aren't eligible for any of the rebates that the government offers.

Remember rain water tanks - nope.
    Remember the free insulation - nope.
    How about solar power or hot water - nope.

Those rebates are only available to private owners. Private tenants also have the option to negotiate with their landlords to benefit from them.

Now we did get insulation last year so that was a nice surprise.

Oh, and "floor coverings" are not included in public housing. With private rental, you expect carpet, tiles, lino, boards, something ... but in public housing it is bare concrete. Even when one tenant who installed their own carpet moves out, they are required to have it removed so the next tenant is back to bare concrete again.

If you have a child that grows up, leaves school, and gets a job, then the rent increases by 25% of their income, but you are the one liable for the payments not them. So if the child doesn't co-operate and pay their share of the rent then you might find yourself in severe financial straights. Also, this encourages working grown children in public housing to move out to cheaper accommodation rather than staying at home.

And finally, for those paying market rent - they are not eligible for rent assistance, which means they are financially worse off than those in the private housing market.

The benefits of public housing are:
    * you don't have to pay the water bill (yet).
    * you have only one inspection per year (as opposed to four in private rental).
    * you have security of knowing you can stay where you are (unless you are in a five-bedroom home, or one deemed to have special features for disabled tenants - in which case you are subject to six-monthly reviews to ensure you still require that property, else you may be moved on to a different property so that yours is available for someone else with "special need").
    * if your total household income is very low, rent is capped at 25% total household income.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 22-06-2012 at 04:40.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

ashleerose  (22-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Public housing is a joke as it is as the moment.

I know someone who lives in housing commission even though they worked and earned an average salary for most of their time in the public house. She was able to do this because 10 years earlier as a single parent she was not working and receiving single parent benefits and was able to get on waiting list for a house, her kids had to pay a percentage of their salary and she had to pay a percentage of her salary - but she took it because she knew that one day she would stop working again and once you are in the system they don't chuck you out they just charge you a percentage of what you earn. So now that she has finalised her career and is on disability pension after a botched knee reconstruction she had recently - about 5 years after living in the house and paying full rent - she has the knowledge that she will have a house to live in for the rest of her life.

There is something wrong with that - when there are families that are in real need.

The government needs to find a better solution that helps people in need, not people who have stood in line and waited.

I think public housing should be for people who are unable to find other housing or at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My grandparents lived in govt housing for a few years after they were married (England just after WW2), because there was such a massive housing shortage due to the bombing and all the service men returning and starting families the govt put one family upstairs and one downstairs, both had one small child.

People just accepted it and worked and saved until they could have a whole house for themselves!

I am not suggesting we force families to live in a living room in this day and age but as long as people are matched carefully and the safety of those more vunerable is taken into consideration then it's better than some people having heaps of space and others being on the street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Public Housing is obviously a very complex issue and to an outsider like myself I find it hard to understand why some tenants are ordered to pay market value rent rather than told its time to move on from public housing because they can afford to rent privately?

Forcing strangers to live together is a bad idea. More effort needs to be made to get existing tenants into the correct properties for their needs, freeing up larger family homes for families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I deal with people who are homeless on a regular basis, whether their choices led to that or not, I still think that people with extra bedrooms etc who don't require them should be accommodated when they ask to downsize etc. not everyone in public housing is dishonest and are not all abusing the system, however there are plenty that are. Life long leases should only apply to those with life long disabilities or elderly on pensions (ie, not young people on new start). Everyone else IMO should sign a lease of two years to give them that time to sort themselves out and plenty can be resolved in terms of underlying issues at that time. There are other housing options for people who have come out of gaol etc but when the government tries to assist with such programs, their generosity is abused and people dont comply. Secondly, the community kicks up such a stink that these sort of programs don't go ahead. I understand that people don't want criminals etc in their neighborhood, but people need to realise that thy have to live somewhere, they have basic human rights and segregating them is not the answer. as for the people who are dishonest about requiring more bedrooms in their public housing properties.. Well, they're selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The logisitics though, of matching people is huge, and frought with danger and goes way beyond gender and age. Are they racists? not good moving a skinhead in with an asian family. Do they have a history of DV/assault/rape? that would require criminal checks of every person which is both time consuming, slowing up the process, plus is costly. Are they alcoholics?

Again, I do think it's unfair a single person has a 3 bedroom house they refuse to move on from while a family is living in a shelter.

But I believe the answer is buying properties in variety. Housing seem to have lots of houses but few units (at least in our area). If they bought more bedsitters and units the elderly and single people could use those to free up room for families. I believe this boils down to poor management from Housing more than anything else...
    Last edited by delirium; 22-06-2012 at 09:11. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, 2 single mums with 1 child each in a 3brm house. Does the family who moves in last have to share a room? Will the kids have to share a room? I can't imagine a single mum wanting to share a room with her pre-teen son, but I also can't imagine 2 older children, unrelated, never met, having to share a room. It couldn't happen if it was boy/girl, but how would it work for boy/boy or girl/girl? Maybe in a 4 brm it might work, but not a 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Also, 2 single mums with 1 child each in a 3brm house. Does the family who moves in last have to share a room? Will the kids have to share a room? I can't imagine a single mum wanting to share a room with her pre-teen son, but I also can't imagine 2 older children, unrelated, never met, having to share a room. It couldn't happen if it was boy/girl, but how would it work for boy/boy or girl/girl? Maybe in a 4 brm it might work, but not a 3.
    I think that's half the problem. Doh requires my 2 yr old to have a separate room because he's of the opposite sex. We share a room now with no problem

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if people were more willing to take in and look after their extended family in this country housing wouldn't be such a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    Maybe if people were more willing to take in and look after their extended family in this country housing wouldn't be such a problem.
    frankly while ever my mother is of sane mind and physical capable body there is NO WAY I could live with her long term, she would KILL me or I would KILL her, we simply do not get on very well at all when required to live together,

if it was an extreme situation yes I would indeed invite my mother and father to live with me but not while they have their own home.

I adore my mum, we are just very, very differant people

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast