Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    they need to put a 2-3 yr limit on public housing for anyone but those disabled or elderly- if they cant sort their cr@p out in the 2-3 yrs then too bad! its not a permanent house of their own like many do treat it as.
    I am staying in public housing for the sake of my children. We had nearly six years of housing instability, where we were constantly under threat of being moved, and actually having to move. This is due to a large family requiring a bigger house - that the landlord realises they'll be much better off if they demolish and build units instead.

Also each time moving was not in the same area, so my children had to either commute or change schools. It is my opinion that this instability adversely effected DD3 and resulted in her having a mental breakdown and almost completely missing out on all her year six schooling.

We are now in a tiny house that is too small for us, and also have to contend with a neighbour with a mental illness that fosters inappropriate relationships with my children. Many times I consider re-entering the private rental market for premises that would be better suited to our family, then I consider that instability of the risk of having to move on again and come to the conclusion that I cannot put DD3 through that again.

----

No, my house is not currently under-occupied, it is over-occupied. (We are eligible for a five bedroom house and living in a tiny four bedroom house; I've seen two bedroom units bigger than my house.)

And for the whole time we have been here (almost two years) there has been a vacant plot from a house that had previously burnt down. Housing could easily build a new house on that plot and put another family in, but nothing seems to be planned at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    While there may be some merit to this idea for single people, how can it protect others? Didn't a PP mention that she got one of these letters and she has a young child? Would anyone honestly feel comfortable having a stranger move into their home by force with their small child? What about your Grandmother? Would you be cool with that? Yes, I agree on allowing people to downsize (that's plainly obvious, and two PP's mentioned they requested this and told no), but this is a complex problem, and this over simplified solution is just stupid.
    I believe that everyone in public housing in Queensland got one of those letters. I got one of those letters and our house is over-occupied not under-occupied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Funny, back when we were growing up noone knew where that town was and it was classed as country but now it's well known and close to the city and costs a fortune to live there and they don't want commision housing there.
    I think that's the worst part. The government is selling the land to make money. Do they even give a $hit about the little people?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No but they should fix anything a regular landlord would fix! Broken window sills, mould etc are safety issues so in those instances, the tenant shouldn't be liable (as would be the case in a private rental).

As for the OP, I don't agree with it, perhaps move those with unused space into smaller houses yes, but not sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do understand there is a housing shortage and I do see it as silly to have one person living in a 3 bedroom house when families with small children are homeless.

But this is not the answer. People not paying market value are therefore low income, and anyone that's every lived in housing commission knows it sucks. The houses are tiny, no storage space, bad areas, often no heating or cooling.Then there's the constant issues of Housing not fixing a damn thing until the house is literally falling down. Then to force complete strangers to move in?? I can see the govt being sued for assaults, rape, property damage and theft. Sure that can happen in a shared rental arrangement but at least in a private rental situation you get to choose your flatmate.

There seems to be a mentality that we should punish the most vulnerable and poor bc they are just that The thing is, many single or those with 1 child ask to be placed in a smaller place, but are then told you get 2 choices, both are 3 bedders, and if you knock them back you get dropped to the bottom of the list. Then a year later they get a letter telling them some random may be moving in with them and the small child.

Allocate people to a property that suits their needs right in the first place. The single guy gets a bed sitter, the single mum with a son gets a little 2 bedroom unit, and the family with mum,dad and 3 kids get a 3 bedroom. Problem solved.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (22-06-2012),Benji  (22-06-2012),share a book  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What happens if people just don't have the money to move? I know moving around I had the costs like a trailer to move everything, a bond clean, connected power/gas/phone at the new house, what happens with those who can't afford it? Are they given time to prepare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a recently single mum of 2 and I'm on the waiting list for housing. The wait in my area is 600 odd days - i know that's way better than some areas but still a long time when you're homeless. I'm studying so I will be able to provide long term for my babies and plan to move out of housing as soon as I am in a position to.

Meanwhile my mil works full time, lives in a 3 bed housing property as a single. It just seems so wrong. I also heard recently of another woman of similar age in the same situation who wants to move as she can't maintain the yard etc and she has been put off.

I think sharing would be unlikely to work and would end up using too much resources to keep up with everyone wanting to swap and change. It's probably more of a scare tactic to try to get people more willing to downsize when given the choice of that or the idea they might have to share. Paying extra for rooms doesn't seem like a realistic plan since those people are meant to be struggling as it is, but its probably something to make people feel like they are given an option but have to choose against therefore they are the one 'choosing' to downgrade.

It annoys me that people take advantage of the system and get comfortable when they don't necessarily need the help anymore, leaving other more desperate people out in the cold.

I'm sure there would be many exceptions and it would be done on a case by case basis if anything like this were implemented. Can just imagine everyone organizing their friends to go on their tenancies all of a sudden

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    I think that's the worst part. The government is selling the land to make money. Do they even give a $hit about the little people?
    If they can sell a house for enough that it would pay for 3 homes in a less desirable area, then surely that's a good thing? Obviously more housing is needed from what we read on the forum about the wait lists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    If they can sell a house for enough that it would pay for 3 homes in a less desirable area, then surely that's a good thing? Obviously more housing is needed from what we read on the forum about the wait lists.
    Exactly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    What happens if people just don't have the money to move? I know moving around I had the costs like a trailer to move everything, a bond clean, connected power/gas/phone at the new house, what happens with those who can't afford it? Are they given time to prepare?
    I am more than happy to move but under the conditions they pay for me to move to same area as this is where we are settled with work ans school. I will pay for reconnection costs etc but not for the actual move. They did it for us once when the house was in my parents name as our previous house was actually sinking so they gave my parents the option to move and they will cover costs or stay where they were. They provided the reinstallation of air con as it was our air con, removal trucks, boxes and also put new.carpet in the house as dad paid for carpet to be laid in the previous house.

My parents were given loads of options for what they wanted in this house being wall colour to the flooring.

I am not that fussy though, i just want a little 2 bedroom townhouse with a back yard that is big enough for DS to play in that is fenced and a clothes line of some sort outside. Dont think that is too much to ask?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast