Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm a tricky issue... I can see the point of the dept of housing but can also see where the tenants are coming from! I would hate to have to share my house with strangers but if they are getting options at least there are some accommodations being made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    SO how did these houses get so damaged? Are the government supposed to supply the house for cheap and then maintain all aspects of the house. Should the tenant not be liable for anything because they are poor?
    Uhm try 15-20 years of minimal if ANY repaires being done, water running on plain wood for 15+ years in the bathroom which despite the window sill falling out repeatedly housing dept refused to fix,

Because of the way the house was built the backroom is moldy ALL winter even with windows open constantly and mold being cleaned up regularly.

We are not talking about basic you break it you fix it ****, were talking about REAL problems that cause damage to houses that a tenant can not fix themselves (my mother can't move a shower off one wall onto another, she can't rewire the house or ensure there is no leaks in the roof that are fusing the wiring together, she is not legally allowed to fix the tiles on the roof even if the water is coming into the house)

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I think it's reasonable in some aspects. I've heard of single men who've been in a relationship and have split, and have adult children that have moved out of home. They've been living in 3-4 bedroom homes by themselves and paying bugger all in rent (and making good wages that are no longer supporting a family!) and there are people form the same areas living in tents with their three kids because they can't get commission homes.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but there certainly should be means testing every year to confirm that the people are still eligible rather than taking a home that a family with young kids needs.

As for the first elderly couple in the OP... They're old. They're sick and frail. In my view, they're part of the least backed group in the country. They deserve a break.
    If they are making good money they would not be paying bugger all rent unless they are falsifying their earnings.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    SO how did these houses get so damaged? Are the government supposed to supply the house for cheap and then maintain all aspects of the house. Should the tenant not be liable for anything because they are poor?
    I had termites. Only reason they were discovered was because i oaid for pest control. Housing only replaced the bare minimum that they had to.

I waited 2mths for my oven to get fixed. I have waited 1wk to fet a my toilet fixed several times. I had floorboards at my front door rot away and i had to wait about 4mths to get them fixed even though theu were a danger to myself, my child, visitors and whoever used the front door.

My dad wilsl fix things when he is down if i need something fixed that will take a long time.

The govt dont pay for everything. If i want to fix the house up, i generally have to get permission. I want to paint my house to give it a freah look but i need permission and all costs are my costs. Same with pest control when i need them.
    Some think housing is an easy ride, it might be cheaper but many are scraping the barrel with their finances, they struggle.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (21-06-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this is very scary. And I hope and pray they can't make people share. My mother lives on her own in a housing commision house. There are many reasons she can't downsize. There is no way in hell on a disability pension she could enter the private market. It scares me to think they can make her allow a stranger into her home to live with her.

I can't believe the government is doing this to people... Not too long ago they sold off so many of their homes, they obviously haven't rebuilt and now they are taking it out on current tenants...

I don't know if anyone has much knowledge of what it is like to actually live in a housing commision unit block but I know the prospect of it absolutely terrifies my mother. And it would terrify me also. The housing commision units in her area are disgraceful and everytime you go past there are police there... I would be so scared for her safety if she had to go somewhere like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I see no issue with making people down size. They need to free up places. The housing situation is dire.
    I don't think making people share accommodation is a wise choice. How are the government going to ensure the health and safety of the tenants in these properties? What if the additional tenant they find has mental issues or is violent?
    Paying more for extra rooms isn't going to help much either. If tenants choose this option it's not helping to create additional houses places for those in desperate need of housing.

The government needs to step in and do something realistic in regards to the housing situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad whom has been living in the same house for 25yrs in a small town is being evicted. Mum was intending to buy the house just prior to her dying unexpectedly 12yrs ago. Everyone in town knows my dad and many call in with meals etc and make sure he is ok etc. the housing commission say he will be moving anytime between the next few weeks to 3mths and he can nominate 3 places he would like to go. He is quite devastated at the prospect of leaving the town he has called home all these years and his friends. The housing commission are apparently selling all the houses in the town and there are a lot of elderly people in the same boat as my dad. They didn't advise him their intentions mind you, I rang them on his behalf to enquire why the lounge room hadn't been finished being painted and so they told me. The letter he got following this didn't mention anything about the possibility of him sharing with anyone. He is on a disability pension too and the house he is in is set up with ramps, rails etc. he will be in a wheelchair eventually. I am quite anxious to see where they move him and just hope he will adjust and meet new friends and be ok, hope he doesn't go downhill because of it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its a good idea and about time they did something to free up some of the houses- My grandfather lived in a 3 bedroom by himself for over 20 yrs... no reason why he couldnt have downgraded to a one bedroom but was never asked. An aunt has been in a 3 bedroom house for well over 30 yrs- her kids have their own kids now and seh is working full time and has a partner living there- its not as cheap as it was but its still cheap- and two unused bedrooms(sorry one of them is actually has a computer room and is called the study and the othe rhas a bed for guests!). They have the funds to enter the private housing marker but why would they when they still dont have to pay full market rent.

Then you get people like myself and many other single parents and low income families- living with family with my child because I cant afford the private rental market and have been told there is no point being on the public housing list as it would be at least a 10 yr wait to find anything.

they need to put a 2-3 yr limit on public housing for anyone but those disabled or elderly- if they cant sort their cr@p out in the 2-3 yrs then too bad! its not a permanent house of their own like many do treat it as.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My dad whom has been living in the same house for 25yrs in a small town is being evicted. Mum was intending to buy the house just prior to her dying unexpectedly 12yrs ago. Everyone in town knows my dad and many call in with meals etc and make sure he is ok etc. the housing commission say he will be moving anytime between the next few weeks to 3mths and he can nominate 3 places he would like to go. He is quite devastated at the prospect of leaving the town he has called home all these years and his friends. The housing commission are apparently selling all the houses in the town and there are a lot of elderly people in the same boat as my dad. They didn't advise him their intentions mind you, I rang them on his behalf to enquire why the lounge room hadn't been finished being painted and so they told me. The letter he got following this didn't mention anything about the possibility of him sharing with anyone. He is on a disability pension too and the house he is in is set up with ramps, rails etc. he will be in a wheelchair eventually. I am quite anxious to see where they move him and just hope he will adjust and meet new friends and be ok, hope he doesn't go downhill because of it!
    Maybe you could try secure him some housing yourselves, as guarantors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    I think its a good idea and about time they did something to free up some of the houses- My grandfather lived in a 3 bedroom by himself for over 20 yrs... no reason why he couldnt have downgraded to a one bedroom but was never asked. An aunt has been in a 3 bedroom house for well over 30 yrs- her kids have their own kids now and seh is working full time and has a partner living there- its not as cheap as it was but its still cheap- and two unused bedrooms(sorry one of them is actually has a computer room and is called the study and the othe rhas a bed for guests!). They have the funds to enter the private housing marker but why would they when they still dont have to pay full market rent.

Then you get people like myself and many other single parents and low income families- living with family with my child because I cant afford the private rental market and have been told there is no point being on the public housing list as it would be at least a 10 yr wait to find anything.

they need to put a 2-3 yr limit on public housing for anyone but those disabled or elderly- if they cant sort their cr@p out in the 2-3 yrs then too bad! its not a permanent house of their own like many do treat it as.
    This

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast