Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    Wow, the couple in the OP sound like ungrateful, entitled idiots. Its PUBLIC housing! You would think that after 35 years of cheap rent they would have been able to save at least a small deposit for a unit. And I'm sorry, but to say they cant move because they have a dog.... people live in units with dogs all the time. Its not like they are working full time so they aren't able to exercise the dog.
    Agree.

"Who is going to help me sell my things that won't fit into a smaller place?"

Umm excuse me? Sell them your blardy self. What is with the sense of entitlement?

Government assistance in any form is a privilege not a right. We are lucky to live in a country that has such support available. Perhaps the problem isn't a shortage of housing, perhaps it's society's attitude.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Liddybugs  (22-06-2012),marie45  (21-06-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Phones being stupid
    I'm sorry the house was schizen, but if you put money into a house you don't own, losing your investment is one of the risks to be assumed. Not losing the money is not reason enough to leave a family who needs your spare rooms homeless.

If someone has the money to pay market value and put into maintaining a house, then I'm wondering if one could question the need for public housing?.

Finally this is not going to be a popular quote but "beggars can't be choosers.". Don't accept the grace of public housing, then hold the government and families in need because you want your spare bedrooms.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

marie45  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    From my reading then they wouldn't be affected?
    They would not be affected in monetary terms, in fact it would be a sh!t load cheaper but I have seen both sides of this argument,

My sister moved in with mum when her partner left her, she had 4 young children and housing dept would not approve her as she was not 'homeless' .

My mother put alot of time, effort and money into that house, tiling, replacing doors, carpeting etc as housing dept refused even basic up keep of the property for many, many years if my mum hadn't lived in it and did the best she could maintenance wise it would have been declaired 'too damaged' to fix and sold of for very little money.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    Um, so if your parents can afford market value rent why are they still in public housing? Isnt public housing for people who cant afford market rent and are very low/no income earners?
    Its not their fault if people are paying market rent. Some cant get their foot in the door as i know i wouldnt be able to get into private rental. Maybe housing need to put something into place to help those who pay market rent into the rental market.

I know growing up if my parents didnt have housing, we would of most likely been homeless.

I personally like the fact that i have a permanate roof over my head. I will for a very long time unless i fall behind in rent which wont happen as i pay more than required each week or if i earn over 80k a year which wont happen as i cant earn that much due to my availability with work.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    They have a few health issues. I can see their point. Would you like to be forced to share you house you bought your family up in or forced to move? Do you know what sort of dog they have? Should an animal have to end up in the pound when they have a good owner who is able to care for it?

The reason why they have cheap rent is because its only a 1/4 of their total income for the week. They are living off centrelink, its hard to save money off centrelink if you didnt realise.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub
    My parents were forced to sell the home they brought up us kids in as they couldn't maintain it any longer & couldn't afford to pay a gardener / cleaner / handyman etc.

I'm sure didn't "feel" good about having to do so.

Perhaps they should see if the government about this? Maybe they should of rented out the spare bedroom?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (22-06-2012),marie45  (21-06-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's reasonable in some aspects. I've heard of single men who've been in a relationship and have split, and have adult children that have moved out of home. They've been living in 3-4 bedroom homes by themselves and paying bugger all in rent (and making good wages that are no longer supporting a family!) and there are people form the same areas living in tents with their three kids because they can't get commission homes.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but there certainly should be means testing every year to confirm that the people are still eligible rather than taking a home that a family with young kids needs.

As for the first elderly couple in the OP... They're old. They're sick and frail. In my view, they're part of the least backed group in the country. They deserve a break.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (23-06-2012),starflame  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm sorry the house was schizen, but if you put money into a house you don't own, losing your investment is one of the risks to be assumed. Not losing the money is not reason enough to leave a family who needs your spare rooms homeless.

If someone has the money to pay market value and put into maintaining a house, then I'm wondering if one could question the need for public housing?.

Finally this is not going to be a popular quote but "beggars can't be choosers.". Don't accept the grace of public housing, then hold the government and families in need because you want your spare bedrooms.
    Mum tried to go private, housing dept won't give rental referamces and the real estates here refused her applications as a result of 'lack of rental references '

They fixed the house as needed to make it liveable, they we're support to sit by and have NO bathroom or toilet doors? And a hole in the roof? and a bathroom thats wall was rotting out?

The houses were life time leases once apon a time, that's the governments issue to fix sorry, as it is they let their proper houses rot then sold them off cheap cos they were 'too damaged' to repair.

My mothers survived because she fixed ****, it would not exist as public housing if mum hadn't been living it it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    They would not be affected in monetary terms, in fact it would be a sh!t load cheaper but I have seen both sides of this argument,

My sister moved in with mum when her partner left her, she had 4 young children and housing dept would not approve her as she was not 'homeless' .

My mother put alot of time, effort and money into that house, tiling, replacing doors, carpeting etc as housing dept refused even basic up keep of the property for many, many years if my mum hadn't lived in it and did the best she could maintenance wise it would have been declaired 'too damaged' to fix and sold of for very little money.

If they are already paying market rent though how will their costs increase?

Rental increases would be for people with extra bedrooms who don't pay market rent.

FWIW I'm positive they will never implement the sharing. It's just a discussion point. But it's clear they plan to shake the sector up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    My parents were forced to sell the home they brought up us kids in as they couldn't maintain it any longer & couldn't afford to pay a gardener / cleaner / handyman etc.

I'm sure didn't "feel" good about having to do so.

Perhaps they should see if the government about this? Maybe they should of rented out the spare bedroom?
    While I am sorry that your parents could not maintain their home, this is not about the govt paying for gardeners or cleaners or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SO how did these houses get so damaged? Are the government supposed to supply the house for cheap and then maintain all aspects of the house. Should the tenant not be liable for anything because they are poor?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast