Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can see where the couple is coming from but on the other hand. There is no where near enough housing ATM.in my area it's a 15 year wait.

I believe that people need to understand that other people NEED this housing and that as its a rental they have no right to dictate their lease.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

Jenemi  (21-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (04-04-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I can't see this ever actually happening purely from a legal liability point of view. If 2 parties are forced to live together and 1 party injures the other, the government may be held liable. If you were forced to live with someone who stole from you or damaged your property wouldn't you try and seek legal recourse?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on how long they've held their lease, mum signed her lease 35 years ago and the housing dept can not make them move as it was a 'lifetime' lease back then, when she switched over to homes north she did so only if her lease conditions were the same.

Housing dept don't mind lying though, they sent a 'you have to move' letter to ds's grandparents (one who was dying of cancer) they moved as they didn't have the energy to fight it.

eta theirs is a 4 bedroom home and only mum and dad live there, they pay full market value as they are not entitled to rent assistance etc.

If forced to move the only place available is the bad area where fights, break ins and **** getting burnt down is a regular occurance
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 21-06-2012 at 18:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont agree with being made to live with strangers but surely there has to be a better way for public housing to work.

I do agree with people having spare rooms being made to downsize. This just makes sense with the waiting lists being so huge.

Why doesnt public housing have a limit of how long you can stay? Would it help if people could only stay for say 2 or 3 years then they had to move on? In that time they could make what ever improvements they needed to in their life to be able to afford a regular rental or buy a property themselves

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I dont agree with being made to live with strangers but surely there has to be a better way for public housing to work.

I do agree with people having spare rooms being made to downsize. This just makes sense with the waiting lists being so huge.

Why doesnt public housing have a limit of how long you can stay? Would it help if people could only stay for say 2 or 3 years then they had to move on? In that time they could make what ever improvements they needed to in their life to be able to afford a regular rental or buy a property themselves
    Newer leases have a clause in them dictating the as needed basis of public housing and you can be moved as a result but older leases have a life time lease on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it's disgraceful that where there is an option to downsize, public housing tenants with spare bedrooms 'refuse' to move. Public housing is for providing a roof over the heads of people that need a hand. Not for providing lifelong homes for people.

I don't think you can force strangers to live with someone. So if a person with a spare bedroom refuses an offer to downsize then kick their ungrateful butts out.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Jenemi  (21-06-2012),Liddybugs  (22-06-2012),Sunshinemoonlight  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Newer leases have a clause in them dictating the as needed basis of public housing and you can be moved as a result but older leases have a life time lease on them.

Whoever came up with lifetime leases for public housing should lose their job.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Liddybugs  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Public housing is for providing a roof over the heads of people that need a hand. Not for providing lifelong homes for people.
    But once apon a time it WAS life time housing and this is WHY the housing dep't can't 'kick their butts out'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Whoever came up with lifetime leases for public housing should lose their job.
    Well it was 30+ years ago, it was not designed to covet the population problems we have now, it was a government program to make affordable housing to counter balance the private sector.

Our regions public housing sold off 90 percent of its 3-4 bedroom houses years and years ago as they didn't feel the demand was worth the (minimal) upkeep required

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    But once apon a time it WAS life time housing and this is WHY the housing dep't can't 'kick their butts out'

It's bloody ridiculous. Surely the pollies can make some type of law to invalidate the lifetime leases. Regardless don't the people with 'spare' bedrooms have a conscience? Don't they feel guilty about not downsizing when there are families that need places and can't get them? Ungrateful and selfish.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-06-2012 at 18:48.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),Jenemi  (21-06-2012),Liddybugs  (22-06-2012)