Closed Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnockKnockPenny View Post
    It's not looked down upon to have your family live with you. Many people do it but not everyone is able to! Would you force someone who had abusive parents to live with them? I think not

I was lucky growing up that our grandad live with us for around 10 years, until he remarried
    Did you miss the part where she said 'in many cases'... you're referring to the exceptional cases. Once upon a time it was expected that the parents would live with their adult children, there most definitely has been an attitude shift about this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Living with my mother would destroy the relationship I have with my daughter. I would not risk that, or expect others to risk it.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is it dump on poor people time already??

I think making people live with strangers is idiotic and asking for trouble.

As for what the thread has evolved into, I live with my parents because I am poor. If I didn't need to, I would be out of here in a shot. I live out of one room and the majority of my things are in storage. I have felt like a guest in someone else's house for 6 months. And forget about parenting my own child or the awfulness of when they argue or the million other things that makes living together stressful.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (22-06-2012),HugsBunny  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've lived with my parents when I was very sick, and they were, and are, fabulous people and yes, it was still difficult. I am very grateful to them though.

I can kind of see what Marie is saying... I do think it's a shame that our culture isn't more willing to 'fit in' with extended family, particularly elderly relatives. But in practice I can see why in so many cases it just doesn't work.

Forcing people to live with strangers, or forcing people to live with relatives, isn't a very good solution obviously, but I can see where it could work if it were on a voluntary basis. For example, some older single people could be quite lonely and if they were pared with the right person it might actually be nice for them. But yeah, lots of 'ifs' about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    Oh how selfish of you. Sometimes its better for the greater good to put differences aside and learn to get along.
    I'm going to vote with Nemmi here. I could not live with either of my parents. My dad is lazy and my mum
    Makes me sick as she smokes like a chimney and is the biggest whinger. They stayed with me for 4 nights recently and it drove me nuts. And I won't go into details here but the way they brought me up they dont deserve my 100% loyalty.

It's naive to think all elderly parents can live with their adult kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Is it dump on poor people time already??

I think making people live with strangers is idiotic and asking for trouble.

As for what the thread has evolved into, I live with my parents because I am poor. If I didn't need to, I would be out of here in a shot. I live out of one room and the majority of my things are in storage. I have felt like a guest in someone else's house for 6 months. And forget about parenting my own child or the awfulness of when they argue or the million other things that makes living together stressful.
    Isn't it always dump on the poor people time?
    No its not idyllic living wit relatives but if your in a public house and its just you and your partner and your older with no kids and in a 3 or 4 bed house why should you be allowed to stay there? Why would you want to stay there when there are so many others who are facing or are homeless? Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been homeless as a pregnant teenager and lived in some extremely unsuitable and dangerous share houses also pregnant or with a new baby. I now work with young Mums who often end up the same way. My opinion is that this is a terrible terrible idea. Dangerous and wrong. However I also agree that public housing should not be considered
    A permanent housing arrangement for so many people. There are single mothers living in their cars or shelters whilst older couples with partial employment who are capable of paying a little more rent or living in a flat taking up 2 or 3 bed homes. State housing is in crisis and something should be done about it now. It does in my opinion come down to having far too many people in the system who.need to be supported to move on. Of course it would be great if state housing suddenly bought up or built an adequate amount of housing for everyone but that seems unlikely to happen overnight or even at all.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    What a rude thing to say. As usual, another nobody trying to cut down a tall poppy. So Australian of you.
    R u serious. Maybe you need to take a step back for a second. In all of your posts you have practically told people their family members should be out of the house blah blah.
    Now your saying cause your parents worked hard, I think one day reality is going to hit you hard, just because they are in public housing doesn't mean they worked their butts of. And also that was not rude you want to go judging people they will judge you and your perfect life That you are going on about
    You need to learn there is always more than your way of living.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wantmore For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wantmore View Post
    You need to learn there is always more than your way of living.
    It seems a lot of people need to learn the purpose of public housing, it's for extreme hardship. People who can afford full rent can afford to move on and free it up for someone who desperately needs it.

People can throw as much anecdotal evidence in here about it being 'impossible' to help their parents financially by housing them etc... but generally speaking most people don't have these kind of barriers, it's a socially acceptable thing to let your parents fend for themselves these days.

In a time before social welfare, our elderly were much better cared for by their families. I don't see why it's so impossible for many (yeah yeah, not everyone) to do this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (22-06-2012),VicPark  (22-06-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All the elderly in my family don't live with any of us. We are not equip to care for them. One needs full time, round the clock care and the other two need medical care regularly.

Times have changed and back before social welfare, women stayed at home so were there to attend to care needs of young and old. Now women are expected to work as soon as their kids hit school. It's different now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (23-06-2012)