Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    She is living in a house that was given to her on a life time lease,

She pays full market value so she is not 'relying' on sweet f all.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    If she is paying full market value then she can afford to move.

Sorry Im not picking on you but I dont understand how people can sit in housing when they can afford to move. There are people who are on the streets with little kids. It makes me upset that people think they can live in housing 'just because' they have been there a long time.

Public housing is not a ticket to a house. Its so people can have a roof over their heads in case of emergencies, to prevent homelessness.

I dont care what lease was signed 30 years ago, it needs to change. There are families living in tents and caravan parks. Little children with no homes. Its wrong and it needs to change.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

inbetweeners  (22-06-2012),ItWasntMe  (22-06-2012),MommaBear  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    It matters because that is the home I grew up in and it is my mothers home (legally) until she dies ... the house is hers regardless of how 'selfish' you think it is.

The only public places left in town are in an area that has regular violence and crime so no I dont think my mother should be forced to move there,
    And as I stated they can not get a house in the private sector as they have no rental references.
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    But plenty of people who aren't in the public housing system have to downsize and leave the home they raised their children in all the time. That's just how life is. And the regardless of a 'lifetime lease' the house is not hers and never will be. Sorry.

I do understand where you're coming from. My Nana in NZ is in a 3brm housing home and has been for over 35 years. I was raised there as were my mum and aunties. I'm still surprised she has been left alone and not asked to move. As much as there are emotional ties to the home, it doesn't belong to her and it would be very reasonable to expect them to downsize her.

As for the OP I definitely disagree with sharing. How demeaning.

I do agree with downsizing but I think every effort should be made to find a home in the same area.

And upping the rent is not going to solve anything at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What area did they sell off all the public housing? Not in Sydney, our office is within a large housing commission area , not only are they buying more houses but knocking down the old ones and replacing them with units/town houses , ( which do look do much better as the old 50,s houses were terribly run down) also we get a lot of rental applications from housing commission tenants - none of them are paying anywhere near market rent for our area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think the share housing will happen. It would be a disaster; like a quasi boarding house.

I guess they both need more stock, and to move people out quicker.

Is the income cut off for having to move out in qld $80k? I think that's too high, and $50 or 60k would be more appropriate. Even though they pay market rent, once they have a reliable and reasonable income for a while, it's time to move to the private sector.

Somebody I know lived in a 2br unit with their mother. The mother died in her 50s, while he was in his 20s, and he stayed there for years while studying and working. He should have been moved along as a single, tertiary educated man with no issues, he could easily rent in a private sharehouse within his means. I suppose the government doesn't want to spend the time analysing each case, and people just stay on.

I do acknowledge that after some period tenants regard the houses as their own, and they do need to be sensitive with older people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What area did they sell off all the public housing? Not in Sydney, our office is within a large housing commission area , not only are they buying more houses but knocking down the old ones and replacing them with units/town houses , ( which do look do much better as the old 50,s houses were terribly run down) also we get a lot of rental applications from housing commission tenants - none of them are paying anywhere near market rent for our area?
    Mount druitt and surrounds. I know they are selling under owner occupier clause. You can pick up a house for under 200k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also Top ryde area. They are selling a massive unit complex. Hundreds of units.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Not everybody feels this way. Not everybody wants to live with their adult children, some people like their independence.
    That's cool, but be independent in a private rental if you're paying market rates, don't occupy public housing forever and ever.

If you don't like that your father's being evicted from a public housing house, help secure him another home.

Every other renter in the country has to worry about being moved on some time. I'm really glad public housing doesn't offer 'life long' leases now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

marie45  (22-06-2012),MommaBear  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That's cool, but be independent in a private rental if you're paying market rates, don't occupy public housing forever and ever.
    I can appreciate that, although I think it says a lot about the rental market as well if someone feels they have to stay in public housing because they're not able to get a rental. A lot of people find it difficult to find a rental, even with good incomes and good rental history.

I just don't like the simplistic view of "oh, just live with family"... things aren't that black and white for everybody.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I just don't like the simplistic view of "oh, just live with family"... things aren't that black and white for everybody.

In many cases it could be that simple though, its just looked down upon in this country to have your extended family reside with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by marie45 View Post
    In many cases it could be that simple though, its just looked down upon in this country to have your extended family reside with you.
    It's not looked down upon to have your family live with you. Many people do it but not everyone is able to! Would you force someone who had abusive parents to live with them? I think not

I was lucky growing up that our grandad live with us for around 10 years, until he remarried