Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Public housing tenants may be forced to share homes with strangers

I can see where their coming from, but i can't see how they can ever make it work.

Would you be prepared to share your home with strangers?

This is the fate facing thousands of public housing tenants, who received letters from the State Government on Monday warning them that public housing is in crisis.Slacks Creek couple Phyllis and Michael Martin, 78 and 69 years old, are "shocked and angry" after being told they may be forced to move from, or share their home of 35 years with strangers.``We just couldn't believe it, we both suffer from medical conditions and we raised our family here, we can't have strangers in the house and we certainly will not move, it's all very upsetting,''

n the letter dated June 12, which arrived at the Martin's home on Monday, State Housing Minister Bruce Flegg stated that more than 8700 public housing homes had two or more unused bedrooms.
    ``Such under-utilisation cannot be allowed to continue,’’ he wrote.
    Solutions include moving tenants of underoccupied dwellings to smaller properties, sharing their houses or making them pay a higher rent to stay put.
    ``We only have a small three bedroom house,' Mrs Martin said.
    ``We use two of the bedroom already, my husband has Crohnes Disease and uses a colostomy bag and I have a heart condition. I don't know where any extras would go.
    ``The rent takes up nearly half our combined pension income as it is, we barely get by, so we can't afford to pay any more to stay.
    ``We also have a dog so moving to a unit is just not possible for us.
    ``My husband is very angry, I am just upset.''
    The letter requests that feedback on the proposed options be sent to the department by June 30, and also offers an amnesty for anyone who has unregistered occupants in their house.
    If these extra people are declared by July 27, they will be counted among the residents there, but if not declared they will not be counted and the house will be treated as underoccupied.
    They may also be required to back pay rent if they are discovered living there.
    Mr Flegg said he would adopt a ``compassionate view'' as underoccupancy reviews were undertaken.
    ``It makes no sense for a single person to live in a two or three bedroom house that would be more suitable for a single parent with a child or a family of four,'' he said.
    ``It's important for tenants to understand that they aren't going to be left without a home as a result of this process.
    ``I understand these are sensitive issues and we are committed to working with tenants to make any necessary changes as easy as possible''.

Read the letter in full that was sent to public housing tenants, and the accompanying feedback form. http://www.couriermail.com.au/questn...-1226401261308

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I got that letter. Even though i do have someone living with me and is in the tenant list, come august we will have a spare bedroom again. I would love love love to downsize to a 2 bed unit but have continueously been told to do that could be a 10+ year wait just to downsize.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    when i was single, looking after my 2 kids full time so i didnt work, i wasnt even entitled to housing, the hole thing is bull.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think if they did it in a way where the sort of placed people the similar age and circumstances together it may work.. key word there is MAY!! what they really need to do it build more. or like they were doing ages ago do it through real estates where it works out cheaper. they just need more housed but i know that wont happen in the near future.

but you can just see that something bad will come out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like that public housing can be seen as a 'permanent home' and agree with reshuffles in accordance with needs, but ensuring people aren't shuffled out of their area of course.

I think this 'issue' is more of a reflection on state housing stock.

There's no way the government should ever be able to force families to share their home. It's dangerous.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (21-06-2012),marie45  (21-06-2012),MommaBear  (21-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They can't do that, surely? How could they ensure the safety of residents? You don't just hand a complete stranger the keys to someone's home? Am I missing something here?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I don't like that public housing can be seen as a 'permanent home' and agree with reshuffles in accordance with needs, but ensuring people aren't shuffled out of their area of course.

I think this 'issue' is more of a reflection on state housing stock.

There's no way the government should ever be able to force families to share their home. It's dangerous.
    I agree with this.

2 or more unused rooms does seem like a poor use of housing I do agree with changing as needs change (like a family home to a smaller unit when kids leave home etc)

but sharing with strangers - particularly without control over the housing - is dangerous. Particularly if it was somewhere like the GC. If a housemate was to attack another the police literally will never turn up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see how singles sharing is any different from regular sharehousing, provided the tenant gets given options and gets to interview their housemates and choose which one, similar to current sharehousing process.

There are so many people in need of housing and the State is broke. Some innovative solutions are needed.

I think it would need to be on a voluntary basis - with the incentive of reduced rent since you aren't get exclusive use of the property.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (21-06-2012),Maybelline  (22-06-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (22-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My understanding was that the list for housing was quite extensive and so there is quite a wait for anyone that wants to be placed in public housing. Maybe they could provide share accommodation style housing where multiple bedroom houses are shared as a temporary measure until an appropriately sized place is found for them to stay in until they require it no longer.

It would help to reduce the waiting list, and provide a solution for people that are truly in need until a better place becomes available.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Squishy115  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to live in public housing in a three bedroom house which was originally shared with my two siblings but once they moved out I didn't see the point in staying in the house and asked to down size. I was told no. Even after a car accident when I wasn't coping on my own I asked to down size to a unit but was told no again.

I think people wanting to genuinely down or up size should be given that option first before any govt considers putting mixed families in houses. This is just not safe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (21-06-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast