+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Miscarrying at home: What should I expect??

I was hoping to have a curette tomorrow because we lost our 8 week old peanut. I found out they cant fit me in until next wednesday. I have started having period pain that I needed to have panadol for and I have had spotting all day. What should I expect? Is this going to come and go or will the pain stay and get worse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't just read and run. I tried to have a natural mc, i started spotting and then nothing that went on for ages, I had lost my baby 4 weeks before i ended up needing to have a d&c as things weren't happening on there own, i remember thinking all the time this is it, i would bleed a little bit of cramping not even as bad as AF and then it would stop, I ended up having to have an emergency d&c I found out the day before i had it that i would be having it the next day. If the bleeding gets heavy or your in pain the hospital will usually do an emergency d&c.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum 2 Isabel For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I literally just finished my miscarriage today. My little River died at around 12 weeks and I found out when I should have been 16 weeks. I had started spotting and some mild cramping before the scan showed bubs was gone so I decided to wait to see if it would happen naturally and nothing. I got constant mild pain that I normally get for a week before AF and spotting that stopped and started. So today they admitted me to give me misoprostal to see if my body could push it out with help. It worked. They admitted me simply because I was futher along and they were worried about me bleeding too much.

If it does happen spontaneously you can expect a decent amount of pain and some bleeding but if after you pass the majority of the tissue you are soaking through a pad in an hour, you are probably bleeding too much so get help asap. Your bleeding should taper off to normal AF levels along with your pain as soon as you pass the main tissue and bubby, though the cramping contraction type pain has continued infrequently all day for me at much more manageable levels. The pain came in contraction form for me (what a depressing first taste of labour that was). When the pain was really strong and I had a strong desire to go to the toilet, that was the signals that everything was going to come out so go sit somewhere where you can let it all go and not worry about a mess like the toilet.

Walking away from the horrible clinical description now. . I am crying with you hunny. I lost it so bad today when the worst was over. Be kind to yourself and do whatever you need to do to get through this. If it starts and you feel like you cant cope then get to emergency and they will help, at the very least with pain medication and someone to talk to if you need it. They sent a social worker to me before they gave me the drugs to make sure I was in a good headspace under the circumstances. Depending on how you are, it may help to have someone stay with you or visit frequently if you are really worried about it happening at home.

The wait is horrendous. A constant reminder that you cant get away from but hang in there. You are strong and you can get through this (thats what I have been telling myself for weeks now).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for replying mum 2 Isabel, thank goodness my doctor convinced the gyno to give me a curette tomorrow. I have read so many not nice stories about doing it at home. Im very greatful I dont have to do that. It will all be over by 6pm tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    I literally just finished my miscarriage today. My little River died at around 12 weeks and I found out when I should have been 16 weeks. I had started spotting and some mild cramping before the scan showed bubs was gone so I decided to wait to see if it would happen naturally and nothing. I got constant mild pain that I normally get for a week before AF and spotting that stopped and started. So today they admitted me to give me misoprostal to see if my body could push it out with help. It worked. They admitted me simply because I was futher along and they were worried about me bleeding too much.

If it does happen spontaneously you can expect a decent amount of pain and some bleeding but if after you pass the majority of the tissue you are soaking through a pad in an hour, you are probably bleeding too much so get help asap. Your bleeding should taper off to normal AF levels along with your pain as soon as you pass the main tissue and bubby, though the cramping contraction type pain has continued infrequently all day for me at much more manageable levels. The pain came in contraction form for me (what a depressing first taste of labour that was). When the pain was really strong and I had a strong desire to go to the toilet, that was the signals that everything was going to come out so go sit somewhere where you can let it all go and not worry about a mess like the toilet.

Walking away from the horrible clinical description now. . I am crying with you hunny. I lost it so bad today when the worst was over. Be kind to yourself and do whatever you need to do to get through this. If it starts and you feel like you cant cope then get to emergency and they will help, at the very least with pain medication and someone to talk to if you need it. They sent a social worker to me before they gave me the drugs to make sure I was in a good headspace under the circumstances. Depending on how you are, it may help to have someone stay with you or visit frequently if you are really worried about it happening at home.

The wait is horrendous. A constant reminder that you cant get away from but hang in there. You are strong and you can get through this (thats what I have been telling myself for weeks now).
    This. So well said. ((hugs))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tildy Im so sorry for your loss. I have been crying off and on all day. I can cope with that but my darling 3 yr old is so concerend her mummy is so sad and I cant tell her why. She wants a baby sister/brother so much and shes to young to understand what is hapening to me.
    I told her I had a sore tummy and I had to go to the hospital so the Drs could fix me. When I put her to bed tonight she rubbed my cheek and told me my tummy would be ok and she loves me so so much, made me cry even more.I am so blessed to have such a gorgeous caring little girl.
    I have some mild cramping now and only still spotting so lets hope I can make it to 5.30 tomorrow when my curette is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww, bless her. She sounds so awesome! I hope it all goes the way you want it to. Try not to let your body get too tensed up. I know easier said than done but my worst bleeding and cramping happend the night before I was admitted because I was freaked out about so many things. I am the opposite to you, the idea of possible surgery scared the bejeezuz out of me and I was so tense I was literally shaking. It caused worse cramps. that you too get the best scenario for you out of this tragic situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much Tildy, your advice and kind words mean so much. You are such a strong woman. I am also petrified of surgery my daughter was born via emergancy ceaser and the was a huge mix up with injections I ended up being put right under after a spinal block (which was working) so they could fix me up and reverse the drugs they gave me.
    Believe me tomorrow I was be a nervous wreck. but I will remind myself what you said and try and stay calm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let us know how it goes if you are up to talking about it. My thoughts are with you tomorrow and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.