+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lol jbish @ being a crazy chicken lady. I've only ever had chicks over december/january so never bought them inside as it was a lot warmer. I'd probably bring them inside, does it get frosty where you are? I used to bring the orphan lambs inside when they were really new to sleep by the wood fire.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Rodeo For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nah it's not frosty here. I live in suburban Brisbane. Although, the weather has been very chilly and the weather channel has said it will get down to 3 next week so I don't know. They have been in a cage in my spare room under a heat lamp. I turn it off during the day as they're bigger now, but always put it on at night. I think i'll put them out during the day and bring them in at night at least until they get a big bigger and a few more feathers.

I'm very attached and would hate them to get sick/die from the weather.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jbish View Post
    My little chicks are about 6 weeks old now and have got most of their feathers (i think). We are getting our coop on Thursday. I'm wondering if I should still bring them inside at night time because it's cold or will they be alright on their own? The coop has a little house in it and there are 4 of them to snuggle together. First time with chickens so I'm a little clueless. Everyone keeps telling me i'm mad to be keeping them in my spare room, but they're just little bubbas! Lol, i'm starting to get called the crazy chicken lady...
    I have chickens the same age and they are in their coop now and fine... Still do have their heater light in there though and not sure if it would be possible in your case? But it is quite an airy coop... Yours might be more closed in?

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not 100% sure Wallflower, we pick it up on Thursday so once DP put's it together i'll suss it out. If I can safely put the light in that might be a good idea for the time being. Not sure with all this rain we've had here, it's freezing! It's supposed to clear up before the weekend so we'll see.

How funny do they look at his age, they are so gangly looking, but still cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have always wanted chooks - when the kindy did the hatchery thing last year, we impulsively brought three chicks home, we built them a coop out of pallets and scraps we have in the shed - we spent $60 on chicken wire, hinges and bolts.
    [great considering the coops I was looking at were over $500!]

Two of our babies turned out to be roosters - so a lovely friend [hubber] adopted the boys and we located some relpacements.
    Unfortunatley one got unwell very quickly and passed away (I think she had an impacted crop) and another attempted to eat the scraps our dog was eating - bad move, poor chookie

The two we have left roam the yard - they have made a bit of a mess and come spring I will be sectioning off a part of the yard for them, one of my dogs eats the chcken poop - which is a BONUS! the coop run floor never gets really dirty. I shred old newspapers to line their nest box and feed them on good quality layer pellets. On occassion they get some scramble eggs with shells and yogurt mixed through - and ofcourse they love the compost heap.
    IF I remember I run out and lock the coop gate at night - even with a few cats in the neighbourhood, my two border collies have been good at protecting our yard.

They are VERY much a part of our family.
    Depending on what we cook up - I sometimes need a carton of shop bought eggs in teh fridge for back up. Am hoping to get maybe another 2 or 3 to replace the ones we lost.

OUR CHOOKIE ADVENTURE ~
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=7ceb9320d9

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

jbish  (27-06-2012),MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we stated off we 6 chooks and the cost just for them was roughly $90 BUT then our dog got overly friendly and killed 2 BUT 4 is plenty for us as they lay an egg a day but coming into winter now only getting 1 a day. Our coop is just recycled from by the looks of it the back part of a ute but the bigger kind if that makes sense lol. They are free range so let them out in the morning lock up at night but i am lazy and sometimes for get (once i didnt close the door for 3 nights) and they still just go "home" and they werent taken so dont know if its the weather being too cold for cats/foxes to b out. They do make a mess of the yard but ours is just temporary place surrounded by sand...did have a veggie patch but didnt take off lol and because the backyard is pretty big we dont have a problem with poop on shoes but i have adopted the no shoes in the house rule mainly because of the sand. I get scraps from woolies and my mum works at an iga so gets scraps and usually get a 20-30kg bag of wheat for roughly $10 same with a square hay bale only $10. HTH

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CookieMonsters For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fiveinthebed I just LOVED looking through that album! You started where we started, widdle babies from kindy hatching! I have 2 black ones, a white one and a brown one. So keeping my fingers crossed they are GIRLS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had 6 ex-cage hens before I moved here. They slaughter them once they are a year old (used in dog food etc) whilst they are still great layers! We got pretty much an egg a day from them once they settled.
    They were in pretty poor condition though, poor little mites most had only a few feathers and they were scrawny as. We fed them up and looked after them and they became fantastic looking!
    They take a bit of love and care when you first get them, but we found it really rewarding to give them another chance
    Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brummiemummy For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had chickens for a few years now and have just bought 12 more today (our total is 15 now).
    We love the abundance of eggs we get and the kids walk around the neighbourhood giving away or bartering the eggs for home grown vegies- our own little community in suburbia!
    We have Isa Browns, they are great with the kids- the kids pick them up and cuddle them etc......never had an issue with that.
    The chickens are out all day and get along with our labrador just fine, they take themselves back into the pen at night time. The mess is ok, nothing too bad that can't be fixed with a hose at least.
    I have a bit of a bird phobia so they scare me a bit but the kids and Dh love them and look after them- they're pretty easy care.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

CluckySC  (27-06-2012),MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if you've already investigated but there are heaps of places out there (on the net I've seen heaps) that rent chickens!
    You can rent a couple or heaps and a house. If you don't like it then they come and get them and you're no worse off, but if you like them you can buy them and the house. But it's a good way of doing a trial run, especially if you're worried about the initial outlay and it doesn't work out!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundleoflove For This Useful Post:

jbish  (27-06-2012),MissMuppet  (27-06-2012)