+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like you I'm expecting in a couple of weeks DD2. I remember DD1 birth like it was yesterday. She popped out and was placed on my tummy and I pulled her up to snuggle on my chest. The midwife gave us a lovely warm blanket she didn't cry just looked around and I fell in love. We stayed snuggling for ages until she started rooting around for my boobs. But alas they were too big for her little mouth but as I had GD I had some expressed colostrum to give her and while we were having cuddles the midwife checked her sugar levels and mine. We cuddled for about an hour and that gave my midwife plenty of time to deliver the placenta and do everything he had to do for both of us and it gave plenty of time for her first set of clothes to be warmed in the humicrib. I was still quite sore so my hand holder and good friend dressed her for me and had lots of cuddles while the midwife disconnected my drips etc. Once I was ready for a shower and fresh clothes myself I gave DD some more colostrum and I had a small meal and then we wandered back to my hospital room where I proceeded to watch her and marvel that she was really here!!! I had a couple of visitors (close family) that evening and didn't sleep much that night cause I was too busy watching my girl lol. The midwives helped me try to feed her every 3-4 hours but I had plenty of colostrum in the freezer just in case. My DD made lots of noise while she slept so every time I would start to drop off I'd wake up to check all her little noises.

I can't wait to experience this again and pray we both have a complication free delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my DS was born at 5pm and they put him straight on my chest, wiped him a bit and covered us with blankets. Then they continued delivering the placenta and did the stitches.

He stayed on me for 3 hours and just slept really.

Then he started rooting and did the breast crawl and attached himself and started sucking. Don't think he hot anything though, think it is more for the connection and instinct.

Then the midwife weighed him ad did the vitamin k shot while my DH watched him and I had a shower.

We then went to our room and just laid there in awe.

The midwives came in, I think, every hour to check both DS and my temperature.

They provided nappies, clothes and wraps but I did bring my own wonder suits because they only had shirts.

Whenever he woke up we breastfed. I can't actually remember how often this was, every 3-4 hours maybe and Wouk change his nappy then he would just fall asleep again.

The hospital had a chart that we had to fill out every time he fed and was changed so they knew how he was progressing.

His first meconium poo was the next day I believe.

The first day for us was a haze and actually was a dream. It was the second day when bubs was trying to stimulate the breast all night going from one boob to the other and was completely restless, trying absokutely everything to settle him, that was probably the longest night of our lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was the most magical 24 hrs of my life. On the boob as soon as they come out and 1 hour alone time with just family after all the nurses left and I was still laying on the same spot he was delivered. We took our own clothes and nappies and just used hospital wraps. Then DP watched him while I showered even though I had trouble standing and then it's just cuddles, cuddles and more cuddles till you get so tired and the adrenalin starts to wear off and baby has been very tolerant as you both learn to feed then just sleep. I had our first in the baby bed provided tilted up but our second took an instant dislike to it or me leaving his vacinity so I put the bed sides up and tucked pillows down the gap and DS2 slept next to me till we left hospital. I even had their beds next to me just outside the shower curtain so I could watch them. Neither cried too much but there was a lady down the hall that had a screamer and the nurses had to look after it so she could rest. You just never know what you will get.

Good luck and I hope it is the most wonderful experience for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as my son was born, they took him to the table to check and make sure he was all good while the training doctor stitch me up. Then they put him on my chest naked and the midwife stayed to help him latch onto my boob. He started sucking straight away even though there was no milk coming out (mine didnt come for a week). He then pulled away after a while, I put his clothes on, swaddled him and back into his little bassinet. When he woke up the midwife came in and helped me change his nappy and I was told to change him everytime he wakes up. My son was didnt cry much at all the first 24 hours! I was very surprised and i remember myself thinking wow hes a good baby lol. But I still couldnt rest at all, my mind was way too excited to sleep (big mistake!) The 2nd 24 hours was hell!
    The hospital provided nappies, clothing, cloths to wipe his bumb (it was thick and hard though). I changed him into his own clothing on the day of discharge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as bub was out, they put him on my chest. He stayed there while the ob tried to get the placenta and then stitched me up. When he started rooting around, I breastfed him. Not sure how much longer later, I went for a shower while they weighed and measured him. We then put him in his first outfit (we supplied it, hospital didn't supply anything).
    He slept about 7 hours, i woke at every noise though. I don't think he cried much, I fed him about every 2 hours. The midwife said to call her for the first feed and nappy change but I didn't cause I'm funny like that.
    The first 24 hours was great. The second 24 hours were hard!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Alphabetsoup; 24-06-2012 at 09:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was born via c section and his apgars were fine etc. DP had a cuddle and bought him over to me but strangely enough, and I don't know why, DP went with him to be weighed measured etc in another room while they stitched me up. I spent some time in recovery and all I wanted was my baby and absolutely nothing was wrong! I was bought back to my room after what seemed like hours but I think it was only 1 and my mum was there with him. DP had gone to make phone calls. I fell in love from the minute I saw him in delivery and was sooooo worried something was wrong!! Of course there wasn't buy I encourage you to have a cuddle and feed etc as soon as you can, if you intend on BF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After DS was born they passed him up through my knees as I was on all fours. We just had a big cuddle for half hour like that. We then checked to see what we had while DH cut the cord. I then went up on the bed while I delivered the placenta still holding DS. He was put on the breast and suckled for the next 2 hours. I then hopped up and showered while the midwives weighed and checked him over.
    Then moved next door to our room where he slept for the next 4 hours and DH and I lay there staring at our miracle. By that time the ob checked him over and we went home.
    He really just fed and slept from then on.