+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What to expect in the first 24 hours?

Hi all
    I'm having our baby girl in under 2 weeks and I was wondering what to expect in the first 24 hours of bubs life??
    When do you put clothes on them? When do you first offer boob or bottle if bottle feeding? Do they cry much?
    Why else should I know?

My DS was in special care for the first 24 hours and the nurses were too busy to take me to see him and I was stuck in bed after a c-sect so I have no idea what he was like or did for the first 24 hours

Would love to hear about the first 24 hours with your bubs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi - how exciting for you - not long to wait now!

my DS slept a lot on the first 24hrs so I did a lot of staring at him :-)

The hospital provided nappies, little tops and blankets for him whilst there so I only needed an outfit to take him home.

He woke up to feed about every 4 hours and a midwife helped me each time to make sure we had latching etc done.

Best wishes :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say - as soon as he was born the midwive gave him to me for skin to skin contact and encouraged us to try breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS slept alot in the first 24 hours too. As soon as he was born (VB) he was handed to me and I lay in bed with him on my chest for skin-on-skin. I offered boob pretty much straight away and he had a little suckle. We were left alone for about an hour, then his cord was clamped and placenta delivered. About 2 hours after he was born he got a bath and some clothes put on. 4 hours after the birth we were home and he just slept on me or DH for the first few days. As soon as he would wake up I'd feed him, change his nappy and he'd be back off to sleep again in no time! I think he fed about 4/5 hourly in the first few days, but if bf it's not uncommon for them to feed 2 hourly around the clock.

Best of luck, it's Such an exciting time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS was an emergency c-section. We had skin-to-skin and attempted BF in recovery and apart from a cuddle with DH, was on my chest for about 5 hours. By then it was midnight and the MW dressed ad wrapped him and I slept - so did he!!

DD was an elective. Same thing except I had her on me skin-to-skin for about 24 hours. She slept most of it and we tried to BF a few times. I could have put her down, but she cried if I did and the lady in the next bed was loud and with all the machines beeping and hourly obs I just dozed inbetween. The MW said they weren't supposed to leave her with me when I was sleeping, but as I wasn't getting much, they let me be which I was grateful for. She was happy and so was I.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DS was born at 7.30pm was delivered onto my chest and we had skin to skin and a breastfeed. Two hours after he was born the midwife weighed and measured him and dressed him. I had a shower and DH hung out with him. Then we went back to our room and DS had a big spew everywhere (OMG so much spew!) but he was fine . Then he slept until a midwife came in and asked if he'd had another feed, so I fed him with her help. I think he might have had another feed and then at 5am the midwife came in and took him down to the nursery for a few hours to let me sleep. That first day we fed every four hours and DS slept in between. Lots of cuddles and skin to skin. It's so hazy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 babies but I'll tell you about my last as it is more recent. Ds was born at 9pm by vb. as soon as he was out dh cut the cord and he was placed on my chest. The paed checked him, wrapped him and gave him back to me to hold whilst they were stitching me. I tried bf once they were done stitching and I was allowed visitors. At midnight they moved me to the maternity ward and they weighed and measured ds and gave him his vit k and hep b needles. Then we tried more bf and ds napped. He was a bit spewy and kept bringing up mucus which is quite common. They liked him to be in their cloth nappies for the first day or so just so they can easily check how much he was peeing etc. As he was jaundice he went under the lights on the ward for 24 odd hours and I still fed him etc, but the nurses offered to do it overnight. He didnt get a bath til day 2, just before he went under the lights. Ds1 and ds2 were both pretty similar after birth good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all your replies.

I didn't know you were meant to offer bub food straight away?! The midwives never mentioned it till the next day Untill I asked if I should try BF, they said Bub didn't need food for the first 48 hours :0 no wonder he got dehydrated!
    Interesting to hear some of your bubs spewed a bit... The nurses said my son choked a bit on mucus and that was because he was born via c-sect not vag birth.

So exciting hearing all your stories keep them coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, very helpful to know, I wouldn't have a clue what to expect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my ds was born into my arms and i lifted him out of the water onto my chest. he didn't cry, just looked up at us. we hung around in the birthpool for awhile waiting for the placenta. we put a hat on ds and a blanket covering him. he had a bit of a breastfeed and a wee.

my placenta took awhile and so i decided to cut the cord and dh and ds shared a cuddle on the couch. ds got a new hat and new wrap on.

My dd woke up in her room and came out to the lounge very wide eyed. she had a cuddle with dh and met the baby. she was then happy to head back to bed.

i got out of the birthpool and my placenta finally came out and then i went to the loo. I had a mattress set upon the floor and ds and i spent some time checking each other out and he had a good breastfeed.

somewhere around here we put a nappy on him and a singlet. he was a summer baby so that was all he wore.

we napped a little but i was pretty hyped from the birth still. as he was born at 1am it was like our little secret that he was here. we had only let the grandparents know.

dh headed to bed for a sleep while my midwife watched over ds and i.

my midwife brought me a hot chocolate and some toast, which was awesome. i felt much stronger by now (8am ish) and so after another toilet trip i headed down the hall to my bedroom and the midwife helped tuck me and baby into bed.

after a few phone calls, we had some sleep.

dh got up with dd and a little later we started checking each other out as a family of 4.

ds didn't cry much in the first few days. he was happy with chilling out with me laying on the bed, sleeping and feeding.

Wishing you an awesome birth, and lots of cuddles with your baby right from the start.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (24-06-2012),Bluest Blue Box  (22-06-2012),Winterbubs1012  (23-06-2012)