+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 9 week old only sleeps in 40 min cycles during the day.

Hi, this is my first time so hope I'm doing it right!

I have a beautiful 9 week old girl who is sleeping 10-12 hours a night and only waking once for a feed.
    She goes down very well during the day BUT only sleeps for 40 mins. When she wakes she is all smiles and stretches. So I get her up, we have a play, feed and another play, then back for another 40 min sleep.

I'm wondering how I can stretch this sleep out as I'm reading that she should be sleeping for up to 2 hours!!! I wish!!!

I've read Save our Sleep by Tizzie Hall and have taken from it what I found useful. The only thing is, it suggests we get rid of the dummy because after a 40 min cycle she wakes looking for it and doesn't know how to resettle. I completely understand this and it makes sense, but we introduced the dummy to help with wind and reflux so I don't really want to ditch it.

Any thoughts, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    She sounds like she's sleeping beautifully to be honest.

If it were me I'd let things go as they are, because I'd rather the night sleep stayed good rather than risk the night sleep for a longer day sleep.

Best of luck which ever you do though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffbum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds would only sleep for 1 cycle during the day at that age and was a pretty good sleeper at night. He was about 4 or 5 months old before he started sleeping more than 1 cycle. I just became really got at speed cleaning in that short time that he was asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I dont think this needs to be in the tech help area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi there! My DS is 7 months old and is a catnapper as well. He would sleep for 45 minutes at a time, and it was driving me crazy as he was also waking 2-3-4 times a night.

I spoke to my MACH nurse at his 6 month check and she said it's actually normal for some babies to only sleep for short periods at a time . She suggested that we chart his sleeping and feeding for a week and I found that once we'd done that we could see some patterns which helps.

I also tried some techniques to encourage him to sleep for longer. I would go in and put the dummy back in, rub his tummy and shhhhhhh. When he was settled, I would leave the room, and repeat once if needed (and it always was!). After the second time I would sit in the rocker reading (silently to myself, not out loud) and shhhing - he could see me and hear me. I would do this for up to half an hour. If at any point he actually became upset I would pick him up and cuddle him.

After a few days of doing this he was starting to sleep for longer, and he was doing one longer sleep (sometimes up to 2 hours - bliss!) and one short sleep, which I was happy with.

Unfortunately he's now just getting over a cold so all that has gone out the window, but once he is better we will start again.

I understand how tough it is when they only sleep for such a short period of time. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My suggestion is to throw away the books and follow your baby's lead. Babies havent read the books so don't know how they are "supposed" to behave! They are all different. If she is happy, then just go with it. She'll sleep longer as she gets bigger hopefully.

My DD is 14 weeks and for about the first 12 weeks, unless she was on me or being rocked in her rocker, she only did about 40 mins too. But the last couple of weeks she will have a bigger sleep (2-3 hours) once a day. Sometimes I have to rock her but she will sleep on her own better now. She's sleeping 12 hours overnight so I'd prefer bad day sleeps to bad night sleeps!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She sounds like an awesome sleeper!! If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

my DD has always been a catnapper, but has never slept as well as your LO at night. I tried many different things except controlled crying. Nothing worked and I just got more and more stressed and tired.

The only way I could get her to sleep alittle more during the day was once she woke after the sleep cycle I would bring her into bed with me and we would lie down together. And she would go back to sleep immediately, almost before her head hit the bed. I don't have any other children, so it worked for both of us as we both got alittle extra sleep. It has only been recently that she may string 2 sleep cycles together, and she is now 16mths and down to one nap per day. Still waiting for her to sleep through the night....

Sorry I'm not much help, and I know what worked for me is not practical or doable for many or not what the "good" books say. Good luck, I hope the nights continue and the day sleeps improve for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you're doing a great job and she is sleeping VERY well for her age.

It is very age appropriate for a baby to only sleep for 40 min cycles at 9 weeks. It changes at around 6 months to be longer. It doesn't mean they can't sleep for longer than 40 mins, it just means they haven't yet learned how to re-settle themselves between cycles.

My DS would only sleep for 40 min cycles 24 hours a day at one stage and we ended up going to Tresillian. It was the best thing I ever did, and I am not suggesting you go there, because it doesn't sound like you need to. However, I did learn an amazing amount of very useful information from them.

Get rid of 'Save Our Sleep'. It works for some, but for those who it doesn't work for it can cause alot of anxiety and unrealistic expectations. If you'd like a good book, try 'Babybliss' by Jo Ryan. Her routines are also available to download for free on her website. Just google her name and you should find them.

After she has finished her 40 minute sleep cycle it is normal for her to wake up and want to be re-settled. Try shhhhing her and patting her, encouraging her to go back to sleep for another cycle. I'd probably recommend trying to re-settle without the dummy if you can, only because if she learns to re-settle with it now, you may have problems like I did where she will need it all the time and may even start waking through the night for it. I used to hover around my DS door around the 35 minute mark waiting for him to wake-up so I could help him go back off to sleep after his first cycle. After a few days it will get easier and then eventually she will learn to do it herself. It may not work all the time, but be patient and persistent. If you get her up and play/feed etc between cycles she will learn that this is the way she needs to be settled to sleep.

9 weeks is still pretty young, so they still need alot of comforting and reassurance to help them get to sleep between cycles, but the key is to try and do the least amount of shhhing, patting etc you can while still being attentive to her needs you can so that you're gently encouraging her to self settle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS was a catnapper til he started having 2 long sleeps around 8 months. I read all the books and nothing really worked.
    I think she's fantastic at night and if she's happy catnapping I wouldn't try and change her.. I've be too scared to stuff up night time!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub