+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Single Parent budget meal ideas

Hi, I need some dinner ideas for myself and my 5 yr old son. I've been separated for almost a year and still haven't gotten out of the habit of cooking for a proper family. I am also looking for budget meal ideas as my grocery bills and way too high for just myself and my son.

Any ideas would be helpful thanks. We dont really eat seafood or pork.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not a single parent but my partner often works night shift so I only need to feed DS1 (who is 2) and myself.

I usually try to make meals that can be stretched across two nights because it is often hard to cook in small quantities. Some things I make are:

Night 1: Spaghetti bolognese
    Night 2: Baked potatoes with bolognese and melted cheese

Night 1: Roast chicken and vegetables
    Night 2: Hot chicken rolls and chips

I also make meals that I can split into smaller quantities and freeze half of, like tuna mornay, lasagne and casseroles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make meals that can freeze well, so soup, pasta, stir-fry, stew, cottage pie, curry.

We don't eat meat, we use lentils in place of mince. It works out heaps cheaper. Also, I cook in bulk then freeze in single portions. My daughter can't have gluten or dairy, so cooking extra means I can grab meals from the freezer if we go away anywhere, or just have nights where we don't cook.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is often away, so it is often just the kids and I- we cook alot on the weekend- that way, I can have a gret meal on the table in 15 mins. I think cooking in bulk is an excellent idea so you buy meat for a great price which is often hard when only feeding 2 people and you can freeze it too. Our faves which are always in the freezer are spagetti bolognaise (using beef, pork mince and bacon- so good), slow cooked curries (you can get about 10 meals from this), chicken and leek casserole, middle eastern meatballs (cumin etc using lamb mince- serve with yoghurt and cucumber dip and veges)- these can be cooked in huge batches then frozen in portions and gently reheated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do risotto, spagetti, home-made sausage rolls, taco chicken(it's like stroganoff, but you put taco seasoning in), stir-frys, grilled chicken &vegies, fish &chips and home made pizzas, sausages &mash

Also my mum lives close so we do a roast with her to cut the costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys those ideas are very helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im a single mum of two little boys but I don't eat the same thing as them. I only eat clean food - so no cheese or pasta,etc. for me.

But I tend to make them spag Bol (with heaps of grated veg inside), chicken mushroom and leek pie, quiche all served with steamed veg.

My DS1 who is 4 is quite picky. Won't taste new veg and hates meat unless I mince it. DS2 who is 16 months will eat anything except pasta. So he'll have fish and veg when DS1 has pasta. I was falling into the habit of eating what DS1 eats - but started putting on weight cos I don't run around all day like he does

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing that has saved me is going to Golden Circle factory outlet. It's in Brisbane ( if you live here) plus they have the Sara lee outlet next door. My grocery bill is now only $50 aweek. So if your in brissie I suggest you check it out.

If you don't live in Brisbane. Go to woolworths on a Friday evening as there are a lot things reduced in price.

One good cheap meal is buying a whole chicken ( when it's on special) and have chicken with veges and then whatever chicken left over, I make a curry with it (you can buy a jar of curry). Or just make toasties. Or buy the 4 ingredients book... They have awesome cheap meals in there also.

My mum taught me to be creative when it comes to cheap meals... Try to create something that's in the pantry first before heading to the supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No matter what I always end up making way too much for just 2 small kids and myself, so I just make stuff that I can freeze, lots of casserolles, fried rice, spag bol etc. so I always have something for those cbf cooking days I probably only cook 8 days out of a fortnight lol.