+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Medea swing breast pump and avent bottles.. Help??

Hi there

I'm expecting bub very soon and im so confused with everything out there.

Can I express milk with the Medea swing into an avent bottle? I I need some type of converter, where
    Do I get it an what do I ask for?

When you use a bread pump, do most people express into bottles then transfer into storage bags or do u pump straight into storage bags?

How many bottles do I need per day (if this is how it's done) do I pump into?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have no idea :/
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ange...I've been wondering this too.

Exocet I have an Advent manual pump and am using the Medala bottles!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the storage bags for freezing because it defrosts quicker and is easier to warm up in and then bottle.

I have the medela swing pump and I pump straight into storage bags. It doesn't connect to the pump, I just hold it together.

I tried transferring from bottle to bag and found it a pain because of extra washing up.

However if you aren't needing to freeze and are using it within 24 hours then I would pump straight into your bottle so that you can use it straight away and just warm it up.

I am not aware of an adapter from the medela swing to an avent bottle, but someone else might be able to clarify.

Regarding how many bottles, it depends how often you want to wash up. Are you going to be exclusively EBM or just during the day/night or occasionally?

I would also recommend trying different types of bottles at the start as each baby prefers different bottles and teats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I express from my Medela swing pump straight in to the bottle supplied with it then pour the milk in to snap lock bags (double bag) if I'm freezing, or the pigeon bottles DD feeds out of. I bought Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles when I was pregnant with DD and she won't take them. She also won't take Avent, Medela and theres another brand that escapes me at the moment. She will however happily take a pigeon narrow neck. Don't stock up on too many bottles of one brand till you know it's going to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also freeze it in milk trays. They're like ice cubes but the right size to slide into a bottle for defrosting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missymack- what's a SNS?

My story and plans in a nutshell- I'm currently 30 weeks and Ob has said i will deliver within next 2 weeks (I have IUGR).
    So assuming bub may have feeding problems, I intent to EBM from the time I give birth, and hopefully BF once bub is old enough to handle it. I guess my worse case scenario will be that bub won't take to BF'ing and I will be exclusively Expressing to feed.

So if I express and store in milk trays to freeze, what do I express into? A bottle? How hard is it expressing into bags directly? I'm so nervous about this but I'm set on baby having breast milk.
    Thanks for your replies so far, and hoping someone might be able to help with these questions.
    Also, I have bought 1 Medela bottle, so will i also buy an avent one too just in case? How many bottles should I have to begin with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - I used the Medela swing pump and bought the Medela storage bags - these attached (with a sticky tab) to the pump so there was no messing around with bottles. The only downside is that this can work out $$$ especially if you only pump a small amount into each bag.

I think there is a chat somewhere with mums who express full time - if you have a hunt around I'm sure you'ld be able to find it and the ladies would probably have heaps of great tips.

Best wishes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you checked out the ABA? there is lots of info and support available

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/premature.html

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/sns.html

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk

A prem baby may only be taking small amounts so you may want small amounts stored, and maybe excess milk stored in bigger amounts for later.

if baby has to stay in for awhile,the hospital may provide you with containers to store milk in to bring for baby. YOu should also have access to their pumps.

I use a medela bottle to collect from a medela pump, and then feed baby using a glass bottle.
    My pump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't used the trays yet but my plan is to express into the bottle that comes with the pump and then tip the milk into the trays. I'll have to wash that bottle each time but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks for those websites and ALL the tips
    Yeah I'm not sure what the hospital will do regarding containers for breast milk? I guess I will find out. Hopefully they do have some for me.
    I will look for the chat with the ladies who express ft.
    I guess when I'm home, I'll maybe express into the bottle the pump
    Comes with and then tip into trays also...

Thanks again everyone