+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Avoiding preservatives at day care

Foods like bread, cheese and margarine etc may contain unfavourable preservatives. If you are trying to eliminate them from your child's diet, how do you achieve this at day care?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't send him to day care I looked into it twice but I would of had to of supplied his meals and they wanted me to make similar foods so it wasn't like I could just send leftovers plus they were still going to charge me full fees!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've cut additives and preservatives and I have to provide my own food for DD. Childcare centre was happy to be on board with it and make sure she doesnt eat anyone elses food there but said as their meals are healthy they dont worry about additives or preservatives. Our daycare isnt like the one Thermolicious inquired into though, in that our centre lets me send her with whatever food I like. I try to keep it fairly similar to what the centre normally serves, but they have yet to provide me with their weekly menu so its near on impossible to have it exactly the same as other kids on the same day - I'm not a mind reader hahaha. But yes I just pack my own sandwiches, treats or leftovers for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And yes we also pay full fees regardless of the fact we provide our own food, milk, etc.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think child care centres need to be more mindful and thoughtful about what they actually feed ch'n!

My DD attends child care two days a week and I have requested that she does not consume such foods. The centre were more than happy to oblige

In saying that: all centres (if they provide food) actually need to provide appropriate food for all ch'n (as outlined in any Inclusion and Nutrition policy)
    You shouldn't have to provide your child's food because of special dietary requirements - that's just not on.

However, centres are more than happy to offload that responsibility to you if you offer..............but they must provide appropriate food for all ch'n enrolled.

Just be clear and firm that your child has sensitivities to additives, preservatives etc... and give them lists of food she can/can't eat.

If you work in partnership with the centre, the outcome for everyone will generally be a good one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work as a food co-ordinator at a privatly owned centre. I'm also a qualified chef so I have more knowledge than most people who work in this position. For management it's all about money and suppling 20 different options just because parents prefer different foods is not financially possible. I don't get a choice in what ingredients/brands i have to use, but if a child has specific food allergies than I (not the management) supply alternatives. I feel that the parents are paying for their children to get nutrition meals while in are care, so we should supply it. If you are really concerned about preservatives than talk to the director or food co-ordinator about your childs diet. keep in mind that alot of people don't relise what is in foods so your child may still get the foods that contain preservatives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (18-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    talk to centre management but more importantly talk to the cook. Our manager is great but it's the cook that deals with meals daily and needs to know who has what. Not sure what state you are in but here there is policy that centre's who provide food must do so catering for all cultural, health etc differences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I supplied food for dd. Yep, paid fees the same whether I supplied it or not. Having said that, morning tea and the late snack consisted of cut up fresh fruit and veg.