+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Boils

DS1 has a nasty little boil close to his groin/jockline. He's only just alerted me of it now, but I didn't see it when he had a bath last night so thinking it must have come up some time today. Anyway it's pretty red and swollen, it's not huge but he is complaining it hurts and wont let me anywhere near it.

What do I do? I've never dealt with boils before so I have no idea. I've booked him in with our GP but appointment isn't until Friday. Do I just leave it and keep an eye on it? Also what do they usually give/do to get rid of boils? He is petrified of the Doctors because of our last visit (split his chin at Daycare and needed to have a needle in his chin and get stitched up) I'm hoping it will disappear on it's own by Friday, but doubt it. My mum keeps telling me he may need a penicillin shot in his bum, he will so not cope with that, i'm hoping some sort of cream or anti-b will be all he needs (if he needs anything)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could be wrong but I think I once heard that a warm compress was good for boils. How old is he? If you could make a poultice type thing would he hold it on there himself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brothers and I used to get boils and styes quite often as kids. There was a cream we had that would make the boil form a head and dry out the pus. It was so long ago, I don't remember what it was called.

Maybe head to the pharmacy and see if there is something non- prescription they an recommend?

Also try hot compresses on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks alot girls!

Bunnyhugs he is almost 5. By the looks of it the head as already dried up as there is a small scab like tip on it now but it still looks quite painful/angry underneath.

Will try a hpt compress after bathtime

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP gave a prescription ointment - BACTOBAN (MUPIROCIN 2%) for a boil. It was to be applied twice daily (with a cotton tip so as to not contaminate the tube) and covered with a bandaid.

He boils are caused by a staff infection, and the bacteria normally lives harmlessly in the nose, so also recommended applying the ointment to the inside of the nose (with a cotton tip) to kill bacteria there as well.

--------

Before going to the GP, I used Savlon which I think helped a little, but the doctor seemed unimpressed.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 20-06-2012 at 17:22.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingToPop View Post
    My brothers and I used to get boils and styes quite often as kids. There was a cream we had that would make the boil form a head and dry out the pus. It was so long ago, I don't remember what it was called.

Maybe head to the pharmacy and see if there is something non- prescription they an recommend?

Also try hot compresses on it.
    Magnoplasm? . You can style buy it, and it's awesome stuff. You put it on and cover it and it brings the boil to a head and drains the pus.
    Bactroban is an antibacterial ointment which is great stuff, too, but as PP said, it's only on prescription.
    A warm bath will help soften the skin and may allow you to drain some pus? But if there's no head then just keep an eye on it and if it gets hot, or redness starts spreading, see if you can get to a GP sooner.
    All the best . Poorthing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Molly Coddle View Post
    Magnoplasm? . You can style buy it, and it's awesome stuff. You put it on and cover it and it brings the boil to a head and drains the pus.
    Bactroban is an antibacterial ointment which is great stuff, too, but as PP said, it's only on prescription.
    A warm bath will help soften the skin and may allow you to drain some pus? But if there's no head then just keep an eye on it and if it gets hot, or redness starts spreading, see if you can get to a GP sooner.
    All the best . Poorthing
    Yes! Magnoplasm!