+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son got one when he was 5 yo. He plays it occasionally when he's ready to wind down.

I think people have it in their mind that kids who own them will be playing them all the time. I think if parents can show self-control and discipline it doesn't have to be this way at all. My son is sporty, active, creative, fun, loud... but he will play his DS a few times a week for maybe half an hour after a day of sports/school and I see absolutely no problem with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She got one for her 6th birthday. This kid lives in a family of gaming nerds... It would be hypocritical for her to watch us play yet not be allowed to play herself.

It started with her using dp's ds with Pokemon... The only game he had, lol, and then she got her own and had heaps of games. She's not glued to it. She plays on weekends, and it's great for long car rides or when we go somewhere boring for her. She's an only child too so it's something she ca use on her own.

I am not anti gaming, I just think there need to be rules and games should be age appropriate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

sandy_1902  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am awful

DS is 9 and has a ds and an ipad and a laptop.
    DD1 is 8 and has a ds and an ipad
    beryl is 3 and has an ipad

She did have a ds but hardly played it.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was considering getting a tablet for myself for Christmas and just giving DS1 my laptop to play with but maybe I'd be better off getting this $99 tablet a pp mentioned from Kmart?

Hmmm.……

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 6 and he would like one but I am holding off..for the pure reason that they older they get the harder they are to buy for..so I am waiting till I run outta things to buy first Maybe next xmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd got one for her fourth birthday as she loves drawing and we got her that art academy game. She's seven now and plays it occasionally. Mostly when her cousin comes over and they both play on their DSs.

If she does really well at school or we are pleased with her behaviour we will get her a new game. She's not stuck on it for hours and would much prefer to be outside. So we have no problems except for DD2 trying to steal it all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am thinking about getting one for my DDs 8th birthday next month. She has been asking for one for the last 2 years or so.

Both her and her sister have a laptop each. I have a desktop, my DP has a desktop a laptop and a laptop supplied by work. We also have a PS3 and a Vtech Smile thing (they don't really use this).

That sounds ridiculous looking at it written down They do other stuff and in fact watching movies on their laptop is now classed as boring as is playing the games they have (some are fun, some are educational).

Now though she wants the 3D one not just a DS but I am hoping she will be happy with a DS. I am not yet 100% certain on it. Shop around though there are some cheaper prices online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids got one each at 3 and 5 - they aren't glued to them and are very active kids!

They are great for car trips and times when there are long waiting times ie Drs, hospitals etc

Mine have 15 games between them and have no problems playing any of them and it's great as gift ideas for birthdays, Xmas etc 'just get them a new DS game'

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 4 and she has had hers for 3 months! She loves it! Great for those 7hr drives she only uses it in the car!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD was given one for her 4th birthday by FOB's mum. She then bought her an iPod for her 5th birthday

I was against the idea at first and was very strict with letting DD play it. I've relaxed a bit now, but if she had her way she would sit there all day with the damn noisy thing.