+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ipad vs Leappad

Hi all,
    I am having my own little debate in my head if i should by my 2 year old an ipad/tablet or a Leap pad for christmas. I know the ipad/tablets have alot more options for learning and game apps but the other part of me feels a leappad would be more safer in regards to accsessing the internet. Any one have any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can disable the internet on an iPad.

Our kids have an iPad (and an iPod touch) and they really love them, the value is that the games are free (or less than $2) where as with Leap Pad the games cost a lot more (I think?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds has an iPad. I am not concerned at this point re the Internet. He only taps on the aps and plays. We thought he would get better and longer use from the iPad which is why we bought it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

HeatherP  (20-06-2012),Starfish30  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do not get a Leappad for a 2year old. I got one for DS to get him away from my iphone but the games are just waaaaay beyond his years and by the time the intro is over, he's no longer interested. Plus each game is about $15-$30!!. I just got him an ipod touch and synched the games from my iphone onto it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

HeatherP  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't honestly think there is any comparison.

The iPad is far superior and can be used from toddle to adult, most schools now allow them to be taken into class for school work. They apps are either free of very cheap!

DD has books, learning apps, games, it's extremely educational. She also has A few shows and songs on there.

DD's is locked down. No Internet, no downloading or deleting apps, no iTunes no YouTube ect.

Also most apps are free or very cheap! The most I have paid is $5 for a peppa pig interactive book.

They even have the kids encyclopedia Britannics for $7.49!! Those books cost a mint!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. The games for the leap pad are around $30 each and I am not sure of the price of the apps you can download for them (leappads) are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you every one. I think it will be an ipad or some other brand of tablet. I just seen the kmart cat for the toy sale and they have an android tablet for $99, if she can look after that and not destroy it in 5 mins then I can splash out a bit more and get her an ipad for when she starts school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    DD's is locked down. No Internet, no downloading or deleting apps, no iTunes no YouTube ect.
    How do u do that?

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherP View Post
    Thank you every one. I think it will be an ipad or some other brand of tablet. I just seen the kmart cat for the toy sale and they have an android tablet for $99, if she can look after that and not destroy it in 5 mins then I can splash out a bit more and get her an ipad for when she starts school.
    Don't forget there are cases for ipad/pods/phones that make them more durable when little hands have hold of them.

We got Otterbox Defender for the ipods/phone and DD1's school recommends the Gumdrop cases for ipads. They aren't cheap or 'pretty' but they are worth it when not so gentle hands are involved.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jo7 View Post
    How do u do that?
    In Settings, then General and then Restrictions ... select which ones you want to lock down