+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but i would only take the baby i think it would upset the other children at home

2. The Following User Says Thank You to happy86 For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ok I'm going to go again popular opinion. I think what you're doing is fine.

My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in march this year and I only took DD1 with me. We live in Perth and my folks live in Brisbane. The flight was too expensive for me to take all 3 kids and anyway DD2 and DS1 wouldn't have really enjoyed it. We were there for a short time and the time difference really knocks them around. DD2 was a little upset at first but DH planned a really exciting weekend for them and rather than focus on me and DD1 not being there he made it all about them spending one on one time with him. She thought that was extremely special.

As for taking timeout of school at 7 I wouldn't be too concerned. Not something I would make a habit of but she'll be fine particularly if you take readers or other homework with you.

A lot of my friends with more than 2 kids often take only one away when only one parent is traveling. So long as you can sell it to the others that they'll get their turn and make sure DH plans lots of special things for the others they'll be fine.

Just my opinion but it works fine for us. My DD1 is also extremely close to her grandmother and would be a great help to me in the situation you have described.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe dh wants the help, iykwim
    I'm on the fence.
    I see where both of you are coming from.
    1 week of school is nothing imo
    ask him if you can sit down and discuss it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

Amira  (20-06-2012),mamajess  (20-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    A fare is a fare, it doesn't matter the age (unless it is a baby) so she would pay twice as much to take another two children.
    Yes but if she takes each up one at a time she's paying for herself 3 times instead of once

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take baby and dd, especially if your mum is fine with it and has asked to see her.

I nanny for a family with three children and the older two often take turns going with their dad to visit his family in Sydney (from Melbourne). They understand that they take turns and both get to go, just not at the same time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to raracookie For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going to be different to the majoity and agree with you taking her.

My reason for supporting your choice;

- your mother has asked that you daughter be there so she obviously is not concerned about the noise etc of a child.
    - your daughter can help with the baby and little errands which she will get a buzz out of as she will be 'a big girl' and learning responsibility.
    -siblings sometimes have to learn that they cannot always get the same as another sibling. You can spend one on one special time with the 5 and 4 year old when you get back and they can go away without a sibling some other time.
    -one week of school is nothing in my opinion and sometimes there are most impotant lessons to be learned then what you get in the classroom. I think that your daughter will learn alot from this trip and she will have some very important and possibly special memories.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-06-2012),SuperGranny  (20-06-2012),sweetseven  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I am going to be different to the majoity and agree with you taking her.

My reason for supporting your choice;

- your mother has asked that you daughter be there so she obviously is not concerned about the noise etc of a child.
    - your daughter can help with the baby and little errands which she will get a buzz out of as she will be 'a big girl' and learning responsibility.
    -siblings sometimes have to learn that they cannot always get the same as another sibling. You can spend one on one special time with the 5 and 4 year old when you get back and they can go away without a sibling some other time.
    -one week of school is nothing in my opinion and sometimes there are most impotant lessons to be learned then what you get in the classroom. I think that your daughter will learn alot from this trip and she will have some very important and possibly special memories.
    i agree withh all this.

just make sure to follow through on a special trip with the little ones.

Does it worry you that your mum favours your eldest over the others?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally up to you n your dp but if it was me I'd take her.

She is old enough to help and also old enough to not get in the way. If you took one of your younger ones for example then it might be annoying for your mum as they would crave attention.
    The others would get over not going. If you are saying you take them different times anyway why not just say its older dds time now, but you can go next time... Or... Say that they are the lucky ones for spending time with just daddy.
    I honestly don't see why everyone is so against it.....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misspumpkin For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone who has had open heart surgery the last thing i would have wanted was a 7 year old around. Sorry.
    Does your mum realise what its going to be like after surgery?
    The last thing she will need is to be putting on a brave face for her grand daughter so she doesnt worry or scare her.
    I personally wouldnt be taking any of the children with me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

mamajess  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    im with you on this one given your mother has asked if your 7 year old can go i dont see the harm in it at all and as you said your 7 year old can help out but a 4 year old is not much help IYKWIM. You need to live life for what it is now as you never know what is around the corner take the oppurtunity for your daughter to see her why she can

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mumma2ajem For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (20-06-2012)