User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do?

DS is 4 months. He had been breast fed successfully since day one and has always been a hungry hippo. He used to wake once a night for a feed but in the last 2 weeks he has begun waking 3 times a night for feeds (yawn)

I know he is hungry as he eats well during these feeds and goes back to sleep without any fuss.

I am tempted to start him on some rice cereal to see if this helps with his night waking. BUT... I had intended to start at 6 months as DS's older sister has a nut allergy and I've read that it is more likely that sibling will have food allergies if solids are started earlier than 6 months.

What would you do?

We went for his 4mo needles the other day and the nurse told me I should use "thickened formula" to help satisfy him and when I mentioned my daughter's allergy she didn't say it should be an issue with DS

Does anyone have any advice?

Me - 03/10/1981
    DH - 03/08/1978
    Ashley Jade - 14/07/2006

Jakob Alexander - 13/02/2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    personally I would give him rice cereal. I dont know a whole lot about allergies but to my knowlege rice cereal is a relatively allergy free food. I also got told by my health nurse that they have since discovered that delaying food until 6 months has made no difference as to whether or not other children develop allergies. If he is hungry he is hungry. Obviously avoid the allergan foods. But if he is showing signs of wanting food then rice cereal is a good start in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's definately a hard one. Your lack of sleep must be getting hard. I was one to wait till 6 mths as it is ideal. I did find my daughter went through stages like you are now but I think it was growth spurts. as long as weight is being gained and is all healthy otherwise just try get through this stage. Good Luck
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    G'day there - your story is very familiar to me and I'll tell you what I did in the same situation (my bub is 6 months now).

From four months on bub certainly wanted more frequent breastfeeds. Waking 3 or more times in the night became the regular thing and it is still the regular thing.

I like to follow the advice given to us by the experts and that is wait til 6 months for solids so that is what I have done.

Bub turned 6 months yesterday and I started her the day before on a bit of rice cereal. As with my last baby I expect as the solids increase so her sleep will improve (and therefore mine as well).

For me, I prefer to put up with the all night waking and keep to the 6 month solids rule.

I have a lot more peace of mind that way...

And as for the thick formular... I don't know if it's a big deal - my b/feeding friend does this and it works great for her... but it's not something I would choose to do. I prefer just to give breastmilk because that's the kind of stiff I am!

Thanks
    Reviews
    is he showing any other signs of being ready for solids? Can he hold his head up etc? A moot point of starting if he isnt physcially able to eat!

I would give it a go and see if he'll even take it, but personally I wouldn't use rice cereal, which is mostly starch, and you're basically giving a spoonful of sugar. Plus babies don't produce the enzyme required to process the grains until they are about 1! Feeding grains to babies is a fairly new western practice with no scientific or tradition back up.

If you do decide to give solid food, feed a fatty meal, like avocado, as it is better for their development, and if your aim is to try to increase sleep periods, fat keeps you fuller for longer than carbs.
    Last edited by northern; 20-06-2012 at 12:29.

Gorgeous Baby Leila born 2.11.11 <3

"Don't mess with the occult! It's dangerous!"
    "I thought it was good for you?"
    "Nah thats Yakult"
    "Ohhh..."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try and increase his milk intake during the day to start with and see how that goes. Focus on the afternoon, early evening feeds. If he is showing other signs of being ready and still waking more often I would then try some solids, but personally I would skip the rice cereal and try something like avocado or apples/pears.

At 5 months my DS was very similar (was feeding once, then stated to wake 2 or 3 times), we started by increasing his milk before bed, then adding solids (fruit & veg) and added protein to his diet and his feeds went back down to 1 per night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I started him this week and his sleep has improved a lot. Only waking once in a 12 hour period! He seems to be really enjoying his solids too. I feel a little guilty that I started him early but it is rewarding to be able to watch him thrive

Me - 03/10/1981
    DH - 03/08/1978
    Ashley Jade - 14/07/2006

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh thats great!

What food/s did you give?

Gorgeous Baby Leila born 2.11.11 <3

"Don't mess with the occult! It's dangerous!"
    "I thought it was good for you?"
    "Nah thats Yakult"
    "Ohhh..."

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is having rice cereal mixed with apple purée in the mornings and carrot and apple in the evenings. He cries the minute I put him in the high chair as he can't wait to be fed and cries at the end as he wants more!

I truly believe now that every child is different and will be ready for solids at different times. My advice to others would be to follow your instincts. I'm really surprised at how much my son's sleep has improved. Unfortunately I'm still waking at night myself as my boobs have not adjusted yet!

Me - 03/10/1981
    DH - 03/08/1978
    Ashley Jade - 14/07/2006