+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post

I read the book by Alan Carr: The Easy way to Quit Smoking.

Read it - it really does help the way you think about it. Good luck - you can do it!
    I read this when I quit 5 years ago! Fantastic book, highly recommend it, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit about a year ago - before I got pregnant and I went cold turkey - I'm an all or nothing kind of gal :P
    I have to say determination and pig headedness got me through it - I kept saying to myself - I'm in control and every day is a new day of awesomeness to ME lol

I'm not sure what the pro's and con's are of quitting while pregnant, I think I'd speak to a dr about a strategic plan ASAP...

Otherwise every time you think of having one - remember how much more support and great start to life you're giving your child (not that you're a bad mum if you don't quit!) But statistically I mean - just keep re-reading the possible symptoms and side effects if you have a ciggie it might make you re-think it from a "craving" to having an actual consequence? That kind of thinking works for me anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, I found that setting myself small goals helped. Instead of saying "ok I am quitting", I broke it down into weeks. So I said to myself "I'm not going to have a smoke for a week". Then made it to the end of the week, and felt good id made it that far, so added another week on.

It makes it seem a little less daunting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blondi83, when I quit I didn't want to use patches or pills so I used a herbal spray called smoke eze. You can get it at most chemists or health food shops. I found it killed the cravings just enough to save my sanity while I found something else to distract me

Eta, hit send too soon, I meant to say its safe during pregnancy so might be worth a try. Good luck and remember, quitting is doing your best by your baby x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't gum or patches be used during pregnancy? Anyone know why not? Surely it's less harmful than an actual cigarette?
    I'm actually really curious about this ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    I quit when I decided I was ready to start trying. I just stopped, have never had another cigarette since. There is no such thing as only smoking a little bit. Every cigarette you have is a conscious choice, so it is within your power to not do it. Every time you say no to that craving you've won.

I read the book by Alan Carr: The Easy way to Quit Smoking.

Read it - it really does help the way you think about it. Good luck - you can do it!
    I quit reading the same book 2 and a half years ago. I actually posted it to a fellow BHer who was finding it hard to quit, I'm not sure if it worked for her though.

I think the visualising giving your baby a smoke/blowing it in their face would be good incentive too.. I'm just so happy I quit before having DD as I know how hard it is to beat the cravings. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also highly recommend the Allan Carr book. It was awesome, and it worked.

I have a PDF copy of the book somewhere, if you are interested im happy to email it to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post
    Can't gum or patches be used during pregnancy? Anyone know why not? Surely it's less harmful than an actual cigarette?
    I'm actually really curious about this ....
    Don't know, but they're not an effective way to quit anyway. They just keep one addicted to nicotine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you can use patches, gum or lozenges while preg. They can work to reduce the amount you smoke. And yup they have nicotine but not the loads of other chemicals in smokes so it's always better than smoking if they work for u

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ....I was sure I heard pregnant women were being offered free nicotine replacement? Not sure if it was just an ideas in the pipeline but when I quit a few years ago patches really worked for me so OP I really recommend them, at least to help you cut down.
    Good luck it's so hard I understand xxx
    Also congrats on being pregnant!