+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly I'm going to say I'm a non smoker so can't relate to how hard it must be so I wish u so much luck and success.

Secondly - as a student midwife in my final year of a four year degree here in Nz I want to say some things that I learnt recently I'm a smoke change workshop that may or may not help one thing I remember clearly is that some ppl swore by being asked if they would give their baby that smoke to hold, or blow their smoke in their babies face? Not as a 'u should feel guilty tactic' but more of a way of imaging it to try curb cravings another piece of advice given was make changes u can make. Cut down to a certain number, try skipping a smoke at a certain time, flicking coffee if that makes u crave one. Replace 'smoking time' with a walk, a milkshake, just something else we learnt also that if u stop smoking before 15 wks all effects are reversed by birth effects to placenta and to babies oxygen intake etc so I know u are 21 wks so just think u would still be more than likely able to reverse any effects or reduce them loads.

As I said - I'm a non smoker so to me these things sound 'helpful' but I don't have that same addiction so can't really know xxx

I also have some solid information relating to cot death risks if that would help u imagine how it happens etc? That's kinda scary so don't wanna bombard unless u want another thing that may or may not wk!

Hope I haven't offended, just practicing techniques and info we just have been trained on.

I'm sure you will do it

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SunshineMunky For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    True, but you have 20 odd weeks ahead of you of no smoking! Think of it that way
    I was a smoker, but quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I wish I had some tips, but for me I just stopped and had no cravings as the health of my baby took over the urge to smoke.
    Before falling pregnant I'd tried to quit so many times and had patches but it was so hard and I'd never last longer than 2 weeks. It's a very hard habit to kick.
    You are on the way, good luck!
    This is me too. I quit the day I got my BFP. I then lost baby at 6 weeks. Went out 4-5 weeks later with the girls for a boozy night, smoked maybe 4-5 cigarettes, got a BFP two days later so cold turkey again. I still "feel" like one every now and then but its only a slight nagging feeling not a full on craving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I gave up 5 years ago after maybe a year or two of trying off and on (which I think all adds up to strengthen your willpower rather than seeing them as failures).

I told myself that if I really wanted the odd one now and then I could and it wouldn't be a big deal. I didn't buy any and happened to stop hanging around people who smoked and it petered out.

good luck!

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit the day my dr called to tell me! So went cold turkey, I then just told myself I wasn't allowed any more smokes after 2 Weeks I didn't miss it. Good luck

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    Where did he get that from ? I'd be interested in getting one for dp. I've told him once I'm utd he has to quit.
    My DP got it from tobacco shop they are also sold in spencers the gift shop or you can order them online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Oh yes my MIL sells them! But she sells then for $70
    Yeah they are proabably usually more to buy DP got his on special. I think they are great i wish i would have tried one back when i was quitting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy86 View Post
    My DP got it from tobacco shop they are also sold in spencers the gift shop or you can order them online.
    Cool thanks

I'll look into it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit when I decided I was ready to start trying. I just stopped, have never had another cigarette since. There is no such thing as only smoking a little bit. Every cigarette you have is a conscious choice, so it is within your power to not do it. Every time you say no to that craving you've won.

I read the book by Alan Carr: The Easy way to Quit Smoking.

Read it - it really does help the way you think about it. Good luck - you can do it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I quit a few years ago (wasn't pregnant at the time, so not sure if its different).

I read Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking. I was on 20 a day and I can honestly say that by the end of the book I have never wanted another cigarette. DH hates reading, so I got him the DVD and it was exactly the same for him.

It might not work for everyone, you have to read it with a really open mind and take on board everything the book says. But it can't hurt to try right? I smoked throughout reading it (i binge read it in about 6 hours!) and had 4 ciggies left in my pack. I was living in dorms, so I just went accross the hall and gave them to my mate - her looking at me like 'yea, right, you'll be asking for these back in a couple of hours' lol. Never even touched one since - doesn't even bother me being around smokers

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all so very much for your wonderful support and advice, I am so determined to not smoke as of tomorrow. I will let you all know how I go. Thankyou again, you are all wonderful