+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondi83 View Post
    Hi all I am pregnant and am having so much trouble quitting smoking, any out there that have way to help as i can't take the remedy's due to pregnancy. It is disgusting and the guilt is enormous so any support of stories would be very much appreciated
    Hi Blondi83,

You could try an electronic ciggarette they are not harmful as it's just a vapour they are battery operated and you suck in the vapour and blow it back out just like a normal smoke they dont even smell and they have just a small amount of nicotine and no poisions like real smokes. My DP just bought one for $30 yesterday and he loves it he wishes he would have tried it earlier you can also smoke it in the house because its just a vapour. Im an ex smoker i quit over a year ago using lozenges which i know you cant use being pregnant but i had a little puff of the electronic smoke to see if it's like a real one and i was suprised it's just like one but tastes better! Oh and it's so much cheaper then real smokes it came with a car charger for the battery and everything allso 6 little vapour things and you get around 200 puffs out of just one vapour tip or whatever they are called lol!

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh Hun its tough! I relate to the guilt! I managed to quit while pregnant but found that most of the time I was buying smokes and smoking purly out of habit. I'd walk into the service station after fueling up and ask for smokes, walk out and think DAMMIT! I was lucky to get very bad morning sickness which helped me to quit as I just didn't want to smoke anymore.

Distraction could be the key, and as someone else has suggested weighing up the pro's and con's. Perhaps when you are craving you can think of the potential health risks and it may help to make you decide not to give in to the craving.

Stay strong hun, you can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy86 View Post
    Hi Blondi83,

You could try an electronic ciggarette they are not harmful as it's just a vapour they are battery operated and you suck in the vapour and blow it back out just like a normal smoke they dont even smell and they have just a small amount of nicotine and no poisions like real smokes. My DP just bought one for $30 yesterday and he loves it he wishes he would have tried it earlier you can also smoke it in the house because its just a vapour. Im an ex smoker i quit over a year ago using lozenges which i know you cant use being pregnant but i had a little puff of the electronic smoke to see if it's like a real one and i was suprised it's just like one but tastes better! Oh and it's so much cheaper then real smokes it came with a car charger for the battery and everything allso 6 little vapour things and you get around 200 puffs out of just one vapour tip or whatever they are called lol!
    Where did he get that from ? I'd be interested in getting one for dp. I've told him once I'm utd he has to quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yes my MIL sells them! But she sells then for $70

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Lumpy Melon;6643383]I went cold turkey for both of my pregnancies.

I think the key is to keep yourself occupied.
    I'm a SAHM so every time I wanted a cigarette I found something else to do, washing, watch a movie, bake, sew... Anything really.

I also avoided going outside, silly I know, but as soon as I went outside I felt like I HAD to have one because it was the norm.

I also asked my friends that smoke not to do it at my house. They were great about it.

Throw out every lighter and match in the house and the ash tray too.
    ^^ this. I found keeping busy and getting out of the house as much as possible and avoiding all temptation as much as possible. Its still soooo hard and I know how u feel.only been a month or so since I quit but still have crvings(made worse by the fact my partner still smokes
    If u are going to snack try cutting up carrots and celery sticks because they are similar then it helps with the habit side ie talking on fone ect. Good luckxxxx

Sent from my GT-S5830T using BubHub

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondi83 View Post
    im 21 weeks already so that is 21 week of failed quitting but I'm trying not to think of that.
    True, but you have 20 odd weeks ahead of you of no smoking! Think of it that way
    I was a smoker, but quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I wish I had some tips, but for me I just stopped and had no cravings as the health of my baby took over the urge to smoke.
    Before falling pregnant I'd tried to quit so many times and had patches but it was so hard and I'd never last longer than 2 weeks. It's a very hard habit to kick.
    You are on the way, good luck!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I googled some tips and founds heaps of websites you can check out. Here are some natural tips I found.

Additional tips to deal with cravings and withdrawal symptoms

• Stay active: Keep yourself distracted and occupied, go for walks.
    • Keep your hands/fingers busy: Squeeze balls, pencils, or paper clips are good substitutes to satisfy that need for tactile stimulation.
    • Keep your mind busy: Read a book or magazine, listen to some music you love.
    • Find an oral substitute: Keep other things around to pop in your mouth when you’re craving a cigarette.
    • Good choices include mints, hard candy, carrot or celery sticks, gum, and sunflower seeds.
    • Drink lots of water: Flushing toxins from your body minimizes withdrawal symptoms and helps cravings pass faster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I quit cold turkey when I found out I was UTD. I really think that is the only way to do it, as allowing yourself to have a couple can lead to a few more, as opposed to not smoking at all during your pregnancy. Perhaps every time you want one you can have a look at an ultrasound picture, or look at how your baby is developing week by week as an incentive not to put bubs at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried hypnosis?
    Hypnosis is the only thing that helped me to quit (2 yr anniversary in 3 weeks ). It cost around $100, but I figured that that was 2 weeks worth of smokes and then I'd be saving money. And the best bit is that it is totally safe too try while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and although I did smoke it was only a wee little bit a few a day.

But I too had trouble quitting. I went cold turkey at about 5 weeks pregnant and haven't had any since. Trust me there are days when I really feel like one especially since there are smokers around me often.

I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis not sure of the spelling sorry. Last week and haven't been able to touch smokes let alone much to eat and drink.

I didn't smoke with my first 2 pregnancies.

I've also had a few bleeds and clotting plus the sickness this time which I never had the last 2 times, which leads me to believe maybe the brief time I was smoking maybe has something to do with all this illness. Good luck with it. Maybe try cold turkey, I know it's hard but it is possible.