+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trouble quitting!!!

Hi all I am pregnant and am having so much trouble quitting smoking, any out there that have way to help as i can't take the remedy's due to pregnancy. It is disgusting and the guilt is enormous so any support of stories would be very much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs honey, I can imagine how hard it must be.

I'm not a smoker, so I'm not sure how much I can help.

Can you try cutting down bit by bit?

That's how I quit coffee lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't help with a remedy but I sympathise with you.

Ds just turned 6, I smoked throughout my pregnancy with him. I quit the day he was born. He was born by elective c section at 38 weeks because he was breech. He was a good size (7lb 8oz) and was perfectly healthy.

He developed eczema at 3 months old and has a severe allergy to peanuts, he has other allergies but the peanut is the worst.

He has grown out of the eczema thankfully but I can't help but wonder, if I didn't smoke would he have these problems ?

I feel terribly guilty.

I think the only way to do it is cold turkey.

Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I smoked through both previous pregnancies. My gp actually advised me to cut right down as much as possible as oppose to quitting completely. I got down to 5 or so a day.

This pregnancy, I managed to kick the habit completely. I was lucky in a sense- I suffered horrible morning sickness (all day sickness really) and one of the worst triggers was smoke. I got really sick one week when I was about 10 weeks and couldn't move out of bed, and didn't feel like smoking. By the time I felt well enough, I didn't really feel like having a smoke. Any time DH came near me i would have to run to the toilet. I still feel like one every now and then (it's been about 5 months) but I worked out its not the cigarette I want- it's the social aspect (I am the only one who doesn't smoke now out of all our friends and family), and that 'down tome' of when the kids are doing my head, being able to walk out the front and be alone for 5 minutes.

With a new baby on the way I also think of the money. I have a great app, called iQuit. I can't recommend it enough. I guess I also have the motivation of losing my nan (who raised me) to cancer when I was 13 and watching my mum go through it as well- I didn't want my daughters to grow up without a mother or for then to have to watch me suffer like I did with mine.

Good luck! You CAN do it have you tried speaking to your gp or anyone in regards to ways to help?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess weigh up the risks of remedies to help quitting against those of actually smoking.
    Speak to your carer about safe ways to quit maybe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went cold turkey for both of my pregnancies.

I think the key is to keep yourself occupied.
    I'm a SAHM so every time I wanted a cigarette I found something else to do, washing, watch a movie, bake, sew... Anything really.

I also avoided going outside, silly I know, but as soon as I went outside I felt like I HAD to have one because it was the norm.

I also asked my friends that smoke not to do it at my house. They were great about it.

Throw out every lighter and match in the house and the ash tray too.

It took me two weeks to be completely over it, and now at ten weeks pg I hate the smell and the thought of smoking makes me sick.

Also start taking vitamin c 1000mg because you can get quite sick while trying to quit (withdrawal) and that's the last thing you need

If you have any questions feel free to pm me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an ex smoker but quit when I was considering starting TTC. However I do crave coffee and wine a lot now.. To stop the urge (and as an ex smoker I KNOW this isn't the same as craving a cigarette when you are addicted) I just think, ok would I give my baby a bottle filled with wine? The visualisation helps me stop dead in my tracks. Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow you guys are amazing, I was quite terrified of writing this post as I was waiting to get attacked for it. I gave up with my first pregnancy and quit for 3 whole yrs but just before i fell pregnant this time i started againand now im having so much trouble. I'm setting the date for tomorrow so as i'm new here i'm going to talk about it on here for the support, I really need that. im 21 weeks already so that is 21 week of failed quitting but I'm trying not to think of that. Thankyou all for your comments and support as its helped me so so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondi83 View Post
    wow you guys are amazing, I was quite terrified of writing this post as I was waiting to get attacked for it. I gave up with my first pregnancy and quit for 3 whole yrs but just before i fell pregnant this time i started againand now im having so much trouble. I'm setting the date for tomorrow so as i'm new here i'm going to talk about it on here for the support, I really need that. im 21 weeks already so that is 21 week of failed quitting but I'm trying not to think of that. Thankyou all for your comments and support as its helped me so so much
    There is a section for people who are quitting/have quit. Good on you for taking the step! It doesn't matter that you are 21 weeks already- think of it as 19 weeks of success

You CAN do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I quit with my first, it helped me to just think about the baby and how much I was harming him. I took it up for a little while after and what helped me then was looking into my child's eyes and thinking about what I was doing to his mother. The kids need me to be healthy and I would be so worried if any of them took up smoking. GOod luck, you can do it!