+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hold doors open for people all the time. I don't distinguish between a male and a female being polite - I think everyone should be polite!

I wouldn't want a man to seat me or stand when I stand - unless everyone does.

I'm very happy to have given up being "first" and offered a seat in exchange for equal rights.
    Last edited by shelle65; 20-06-2012 at 09:58.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Define chivalry?

If you're referring to treating women like dainty little things then halleluah!

If you're referring to manners I think for the most part they are alive and well. There has and always will be some rude and nasty people though.

I work in a corporate environment and when people gather around waiting for the lift it is common practice that the men will wait for the women to enter first (unless they are clearly standing right in front of the door in which case it would just be really stupid and akward that they move out of the way to let a woman in first). That's the only example I can think where men stand aside for the women. *shrug* Doesn't bother me at all and I'm very much a feminist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    And that's why it's dying. Feminism has beaten the chivalry out of society. I'm a little old school - I hold doors open and all that sort of jazz. Offer my seat even. But I've had that thrown back in my face as being sexist - apparently - so am trying to do it less these days. Hell, even the term "Lady" is offensive these days.

So please don't complain too much about the death of chivalry. It's not the men that killed it.
    Don't you understand that women want everything? They want equality but want to be treated as princesses. The man should pay for everything, open their door, get off their seat for them etc etc.

Crap in my oppinion. I open the door for others as others do for me. I do not expect a man to do that because he is a man and I am a woman. The only time I would expect a man to give up his seat for a woman is if she was pregnant or holding a baby and there were no other seats.

Respect goes both ways.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please explain your point then.

Im 100% for courtesy, if u walk out of a door and see someone is behind you, man woman or child, then u hold it open, if someone gets on the bus, old person, disabled person, pregnant person, then i offer my seat.

If i see someone struggling with their trolley, ill grb the end and help guide them until they have co trol etc...

I just dont understand why it would be expected in this day and age, that if i woman stands up at a table, all the men must do the same. I do not understand how that equals respect.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-06-2012),Californication  (20-06-2012),ICanDream  (20-06-2012),Kiplusthree  (20-06-2012),lambjam  (20-06-2012),Lillynix  (20-06-2012),Renesme  (20-06-2012),shelle65  (20-06-2012),wrena  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH opens doors for me etc but I don't need him to. I appreciate the gesture though. If he tried to help seat me, or stood up because I did, I'd find it very strange. I am capable of both these things on my own and he would be serving no practical purpose, it would just look/feel strange. I think chivalry has evolved. DH does the dishes when I have cooked. We share the vacuuming. Chivalry still exists, it's just different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't like chivalry, but like courtesy which can apply despite your gender. I hold doors open for people etc, as that's basic courtesy if I have already opened it for myself. I don't see why women need help being seated in a restaurant though. Makes no sense. Unless they didn't have arms to pull their own chair out, perhaps.

In any event, I don't think chivalry is dead. I notice in the work lifts, then probably 80% of the time, the men let the women step out first, and more so since I've been pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not really I have doors opened for me etc. but it is less common.
    I have never been out with a guy who has walked through a door first, I don't think I would see him again.
    I am a women and expect to be treated as one when I'm with a man.
    Not over the top but little things like opening doors, paying for dinner that kind of thing.
    I don't care about feminism they can do what they want but I want an old fashioned kind of guy who knows how to charm a woman.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am happy to say not around me. Just the other day I had a group of teenage boys not only wait for me to lug my pram and toddler on the bus, they also made sure my 5 yr old was seated safetly while I did all this they really were lovely boys.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    And that's why it's dying. Feminism has beaten the chivalry out of society. I'm a little old school - I hold doors open and all that sort of jazz. Offer my seat even. But I've had that thrown back in my face as being sexist - apparently - so am trying to do it less these days. Hell, even the term "Lady" is offensive these days.

So please don't complain too much about the death of chivalry. It's not the men that killed it.
    Feminism is about equality. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and still offered my seat to an elderly man on the bus. He clearly needed it more than me. I had that thrown back at my face. Why can't chivalry go both ways?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Californication  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Not really I have doors opened for me etc. but it is less common.
    I have never been out with a guy who has walked through a door first, I don't think I would see him again.
    I am a women and expect to be treated as one when I'm with a man.
    Not over the top but little things like opening doors, paying for dinner that kind of thing.
    I don't care about feminism they can do what they want but I want an old fashioned kind of guy who knows how to charm a woman.
    I actually think not seeing someone again because they walked through a door first is very OTT. You could really miss out on a great guy over such a little thing. I don't see why women feel more entitled to go first through a door. Or why they feel they should get a free meal because they have a vagina iykwim? Have you ever seen those women's mags from the 40's and 50's pre-feminism? I'm happy to pay for a meal or go second through the door rather than be told my place was in the home, subservient to my man. Just my opinion.