+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elimination diet

Has anyone tried to remove salicylates, amines or colours, artificial preservatives etc from their children's diet? What was the outcome?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far most things I have been buying are free of artificial colours and preservatives except for my sliced bega cheese and margarine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, up to week 7 on 2yr old. Also eliminated dairy, wheat, gluten which is easy compared to salicylates! We have been preservative free for about a year. We did this to find out why DD was getting ezcema (sp?) & the outcome has been amazing! No ezcema anymore despite it being winter and we dont use lotions on her skin and I believe I have the most well behaved happy 2yr old now. Now to just reintroduce to pinpoint the cause, but thinking salicylates due to the huge amounts of foods with very high levels that she use to eat (dried fruits & fruit bars especially).
    It is hard work eliminating but so worth it!

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've removed all artificial colours and flavours, MSG (which is also disguised in 600 numbers, emulsifiers and hydrolated products), and most salicylates. We have seen a dramatic change in DS1, who's behaviour goes off the rails if he has any of the above things in too much quantity. Since starting this, i've found it's such a healthier way to be too, for the whole family. There's just so much in our diets these days that is unnecessary.

Sue Dengate has a great list on her website (failsafe) outlining what to avoid, and for what reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We haven't removed salicylates or amines but we have removed preservatives, colours and flavours. You will find a few threads in the food allergies & intolerances section.

I changed our bread to remove the 282 a few years ago and it made a big difference. I also realised that they also react to bread with vinegar as a preservative to a lesser degree so I don't buy that bread either.

The other main thing we removed was anything with msg/hydrolyised vegetable protein etc and any of the additives in the 600's. That make's a huge difference!

We are currently waiting to see a developmental paediatrician for DD2 and think there is a possibility she may be ADHD. So, we have also removed all the additives linked to hyper behaviour. I did notice a difference at first but now I'm not sure.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yep we've removed a lot of additives. Sue Dengate's info is great but I found another list that is more basic - google 'additives to avoid' - I started with that and never needed to go stricter. Salicylates and amines were next on the hit list but dd1 refused to even try the failsafe foods I attempted to feed her! Mind you, we are already wheat and dairy free so to go wheat/dairy /additive/salicylate/amine free would be tough on an adult, never mind a child. I did it myself 10 years ago and it's not easy!

But it was the additives that were driving dd1 insane, within a couple of days of implementing that list she was a different child. She was defiant, miserable, fighting over everything, terrible sleeper, nightmares, sensitive to light, sound, perfumes etc. this morning she jumped into bed with me and wrapped herself around me, telling me how much she loves me. That would *never* have happened a year ago!

eta the website is Additive Education, it's a short list in a format that you can print for your wallet. When I did Sue dengates diet 10 years ago she promoted this list, so it is in line with her diet, it's just not "failsafe".
    Last edited by Gothel; 20-06-2012 at 08:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much. I just want to ask, do all products have to have numbers or do some use words only to make it more difficult?

What are some foods to look out for that use mainly words and what foods should I look out for that aren't that obvious?

Most products these day do say preservative and colour free.

Do you remove bananas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi singa,

We didn't try an elimination diet as such, but we do have a restricted diet.

Our whole family is gluten, dairy, soy, table sugar and additive free. I have extra restrictions (I basically eat paleo if you've heard of that).

Here's our deal:

DH - mild to moderate depression since he was 9-10 - now gone
    Me - recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome, 2 steps forwards, 1 step back, but I am getting there
    DD1 - ADHD tendancies (not diagnosed), tummy pains, rashes. Tummy pains and rashes are gone and adhd improving month by month. If she gets glutened, she wets the bed, otherwise she is dry.
    DD2 - the most surprising one of all. When we started this, I thought she was the one that wouldn't need to be so strict. BUT, since doing the above, she now makes 'proper' eye contact for the first time in her life! She has vision issues, and the doc always said that was why she wouldn't look at us, but now she is! She is also less bothered by sensory stuff. Unless she eats something she shouldn't. So happy!

Sorry to blab on, but I just wanted to share our success story.

It probably sounds horribly restrictive, but making things from scratch is a tiny price to pay for the above rewards!

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    We haven't removed salicylates or amines but we have removed preservatives, colours and flavours. You will find a few threads in the food allergies & intolerances section.

I changed our bread to remove the 282 a few years ago and it made a big difference. I also realised that they also react to bread with vinegar as a preservative to a lesser degree so I don't buy that bread either.

The other main thing we removed was anything with msg/hydrolyised vegetable protein etc and any of the additives in the 600's. That make's a huge difference!

We are currently waiting to see a developmental paediatrician for DD2 and think there is a possibility she may be ADHD. So, we have also removed all the additives linked to hyper behaviour. I did notice a difference at first but now I'm not sure.
    Danielle - have you looked into wheat/gluten itself? Have a hunt around online, a lot of people report a link between adhd symptoms and gluten. I know it has helped our DD enormously.