+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mastitis help

I have the beginning's of mastitis in my left boob, I've been to dr today (only noticed rash this morning) and im on antibiotics.

Would love some other suggestions on how to help it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mastitis is the worst! Feed as much as possible out of the affected breast! Heat pack before a feed and ice pack after a feed. When in the shower massage the block towards the nipple.. Nurofen is safe to take when breastfeeding (my physio recommended it to me as it also helps due to being an anti-inflammatory). Also for future reference, if you notice a block and are unable to massage it out yourself, try and make an appt to see a physio asap as they can break the block down using ultrasound treatment (most physio's do it). Hope you make a speedy recovery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Feed on that side as much as you can for a few feeds to drain it as much as possible. Express as well (obviously make sure you still feed with other one too or you'll be engorged on the good side). Hot packs, hot shower directed at boob, massage affected area before/during/after feed to encourage the duct to clear. Drink heaps of waster.

I am prone to mastitis and blocked ducts and block feeding when I feel a blocked duct makes a big difference, drain drain drain it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    All good advice by other posters. When you do the "massage" it should be very light strokes really that start at outer edge of the lumpy area and stroke inwards towards the nipple. Dont press too firmly or you block the duct from pressure. Do this while feeding and after feeding. Feeding/expressing to drain that breast every 3 hours and feeding from that side first works really well because the baby's suck is strongest at the start of the feed to stimulate let-down. Bacteria are happy in stagnant milk ducts so the more often you can get milk flowing through that breast the quicker the mastitis will go away.
    Help the duct to drain during feeding by pointing baby's chin towards the blocked/red area (even if you have to lie down on back and have baby lying head down on you or across your chest over opposite shoulder) - you might need a second person to position bub and to support bub's head/neck is they are really little to keep nose free so bub can breathe in this position).
    Once this episode goes away it is good practice to check your breasts before and after every feed you do throughout your breastfeeding "career" and if you are noticing a persistant firm area then take action and get stroking and draining that side first/often for a while so infective mastitis has less chance to take hold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the help antibiotics seem to be working redness has gone down