Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think people confuse discipline and smacking. Smacking is just one discipline technique, it's not the be all and end all. And if I don't smack it doesn't mean I don't discipline.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (20-06-2012),Gandalf  (20-06-2012),Sindrii  (20-06-2012),trishalishous  (21-06-2012),wrena  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a thought.

Why do people in general today seem to have such little respect? Because our youth of today, or so it seems to me, isn't treated with respect either. If I were them, after some of the treatment I've seen, I'd tell other people to blow it out their butt.

I've gotten utmost respect from one of the "bogans"(I truly despise using that word, but at 6:25AM, I can't complain too much about the wording of things.), simply because I had patience and had respect for him. I've also seen him show a very high level of disrespect toward people who looked down on him and because he was dressed in a certain way, people who disrespected him highly as well.

So, I've a few theories.
    1. People mimic their upbringing. If it was one filled with empathy, love and respect, those people are also like that.
    - I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that this doesn't apply to everyone. I had an incredibly mixed upbringing, where empathy, love and respect didn't really feature very highly sometimes, but I still show empathy, love and respect, but I have to point out, I had to learn to do these things and show these things across the board, rather than just to people who showed them to me. And it was hard. I did, however, have help to learn to do things, and the patience, kindness, trust and above all, love, that my exDP showed me can be attributed toward this. He is a man who I respect above all other people, but how many people find someone like him to help them learn?

2. As I mentioned earlier, socio-economic factors.
    - I've noticed that, whilst in 'upper class' society, you get rude, snooty, hoity toity people, very rarely do you encounter the total disrespect and disreguard for people and their property that is displayed by 'lower class' (Sorry, I can't remember the name. More coffee. Yes, yes) people. This is where the socio-ecenomic factors come in.
    People in 'upper class' society have
    • Better schooling.
    • Better diet*
    • More access to more help with mental/physical problems.
    • Parents who are, for the most part, more relaxed in some ways(Not all ways, obviously, but money isn't an issue for them as it is for the lower society people. As a random note, I truly hate that word. No one is "lower" in society. Grr. *Twitch*)
    • Parents who have more time to teach their offspring
    ​* Diet being one of those things that greatly affect peoples behavioural patterns, etc.

​In comparison, people in lower classes have:

• Ridiculously high levels of medical expenses
    • Can very rarely afford to buy food that is GOOD for them, rather they buy ones that "appear" good, that is affordable, that is loaded up on sugars, preservatives, etc, which affects their behavioral patterns.*
    • Can't afford private schools, or at the least tutors/a school that has a higher teachers aide count to assist.
    • Medical care and medicates are very expensive, even on PBS, and a lot of people struggle to afford them.**
    • Parents have to work more, or I've noticed they spend a lot of their time drunk/stoned, etc.***
    * Diets have been scientifically proven to alter somebodys behavior and thought patterns. I've noticed people in lower socio econimic brackets appear to have a higher rate of ADD/ADHD, etc, where their diet greatly affects it.
    ** The medication for things such as ADD/ADHD can and often is very expensive, and from my own experience of the people around me, when someone is old enough to realise the financial situation that their family are in, have actually chosen to sell their medication illegally to make money for their families.
    *** This is a generalisation and I'm speaking strictly from my own background, and from the town and surounding towns I grew up in which were on the "rougher" side of things.

I've also noticed the contempt, disreguard and disrespect for youth of today by the older generations, particularly toward the people that are from the lower socio groups. Granted, it's no excuse for some of the behaviors, but as I suggested previously, it's also learned behavior. People seem to forget that children are small adults. They're humans, and they learn the same as everybody else. Lead by example, which few people seem to be wont to do these days.
    I'm really hoping this made sense. I won't be back online for atleast a week, so unfortunately I won't be able to clarify any points/continue in the discussion, so my apologies for that one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (21-06-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I think "kids these days" have been "kids these days" since the beginning of time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Absolutely!
    As one of the older hubbers, I can assure everyone that this conversation was going on in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Some parents aren't good role models. Some kids, despite every effort by the parents, are just little sh1ts (my brother was one of these).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also ..maybe kids don't learn respect till they get older..their brain cannot process this at a young age..maturity and growth often help..

the violence against people is very scary..not sure why this is happening more..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Absolutely!
    As one of the older hubbers, I can assure everyone that this conversation was going on in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Some parents aren't good role models. Some kids, despite every effort by the parents, are just little sh1ts (my brother was one of these).
    My brother was too. lol. He wound up leaving home at 15

but he's done really well for himself - he stayed at highschool went to uni, switched to tradeschool and has been a lock smith for nearly 10 years.

but he was a **** of a kid and a drug taking irresponsible teenager.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also like one of my uncles told a story about getting alcoholic poisoning at like 15-16 because they stole alcohol. My grandma was forced to get married at 16 because she was pregnant. A great aunt didn't even meet her baby until her baby was 40 because that's how teen pregnancy was dealt with. my dad and my brother have both been hospitalized.... more than once.... from "play fights" with friends (they just never filmed and uploaded the fights to YouTube) I was sexually active and drinking at 15.

.... maybe my family are just drunken horny bogans or this is just not a new issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a thought maybe it only seems like there are so many but in reality the % is the same.
    We have had major population growth in the past few generations.
    Also as bad as this sounds natural selection would have taken care of them 100, 200 years ago even 50 years ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also just thought of another thing to add.. When my granddad had a fall on a footpath in wallsend and broke his wrist, many people walked past, and ignored him, thinking he was some homeless drunkard. They were all adults. The only person who stopped to help him was a 17 year old boy. This was back in the 90s.

Not all teenagers are juvenile delinquents.. But not all adults show respect to others, and set an example for teenagers either.
    There are also lots of lovely young people volunteering at my daughters OOSH.. Really great kids, who are great role models for the kids at OOSH.

I think the only reason things seem worse is because of how easy it is to broadcast these stories of "teens gone bad" to each other nowadays, and bad stories seem to spread a lot faster, and a lot further than the good ones.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Bullying is so much better dealt with these days! Previous generations often believed it was good for kids to be bullied and teachers wouldn't have called home or even gotten involved except to break up a physical fight. So I am confused at how this is a new gen issue?
    Yes, it was often called "character building"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Bullying is so much better dealt with these days! Previous generations often believed it was good for kids to be bullied and teachers wouldn't have called home or even gotten involved except to break up a physical fight. So I am confused at how this is a new gen issue?

In a galaxy far far away....
    exactly. i had my grade 5 teacher participate in bullying me. If a teacher from another class had been talking to me about being bullied there's no way my own teacher didn't know I was being bullied & excluded by the entire grAde 5 year effectively - and to join in the fun my grade 5 teacher put me down openly and often because she was not very smart and I asked intelligent questions.

Actually that teacher taught me a very important life lesson. Stupid is more likable than smart I dumbed myself down to make my teachers happy... until year 12 I realised sweet and likable wasn't going to get me into uni!!!