Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think every generation says this.
    i remember reading a piece from ancient greece complaining about the 'youth of today'

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012),Gandalf  (19-06-2012),Maybelline  (20-06-2012),Sindrii  (20-06-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I think it also has a lot to do with younger people being spoon-fed everything they need, and still feeling as though society owes them. I have literally just read. Very interesting quote on facey (so yeah, could be made up but so what? I actually liked what it had to say and it gave me food for thought!) am on phone so will take time to find it again... Brb

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (19-06-2012),Maybelline  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think if you look back at life when your grandfather was a child society was a hell of a lot rougher and violent than it is today. It just isn't as spoken about. Being given a clip over the ear didn't stop people brawling in the street or them growing up and giving their wife and children a beating- which was entirely acceptable in society to do so and even expected. I think the problem is people too often look at the past through rose coloured glasses!
    Spot on.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't know if this is readable, but I feel it's definitely applicable

Thanks to xkwizt for the pic
    Attached Images

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (19-06-2012),PomPoms  (19-06-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well when parents discipline is 'now petal dear we don't throw rocks at windows' what do you expect.

I agree with toughlove, everything that isn't sugar coated with a cherry on top is abuse.

Don't get me wrong I don't think beating the crap out of a child is a good idea and it doesn't work but to an extent kids should be a little scared of their parents. Not in a bad way scared but more scared of the consequences.

I have heard the most ridiculous things don't mark with red pen it will lower their self esteem, don't yell its abuse, don't ground them you are depriving them of their liberties, everyone is a winner etc. What do you expect is going to come out of these kids.

'back in the day' there where problems also. But Im shocked at how kids behave these days and no one will tell me it was like this when I was young.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

brooke88(mum2b09)  (19-06-2012),halloweendee  (19-06-2012),Justwant2beamummy  (19-06-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (20-06-2012),lovesushi  (19-06-2012),Maybelline  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

That is one of NZs roughest schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    i think every generation says this.
    i remember reading a piece from ancient greece complaining about the 'youth of today'
    This. Imagine what the older generation must have been saying during the 60s when the youth were off their faces on drugs! Even in Mozart's time they were probably saying it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

I totally agree. Young people today seem to have no responsibility for their actions. It's always
    Someone else's fault or there is an excuse.
    I don't think it's discipline that's the issue it's that teaching people about responsibility and loo insider risks has gone out the window.
    People need to realise the rules are there in everyone's best interests not to ruin your fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think if you look back at life when your grandfather was a child society was a hell of a lot rougher and violent than it is today. It just isn't as spoken about. Being given a clip over the ear didn't stop people brawling in the street or them growing up and giving their wife and children a beating- which was entirely acceptable in society to do so and even expected. I think the problem is people too often look at the past through rose coloured glasses!
    absolutely agree!
    i remember talking to my great grandfather when he was alive, and holy sh!t, the things he did, i never would have considered.
    BUT - the way things worked back then was, no matter who scr3wed up, they'd all get a beating in the evenings - oldest to youngest.
    since my great grandfather was the oldest, he got the most severe beating, regardless of whether he was good, or bad

i certainly don't think society is nearly as bad as you are all making it out to be.
    and sure, studies are showing that there are things that are negative towards child development - and some of us wish to avoid them (smacking, shaming etc) - i was certainly raised without corporal punishment or shaming, and i turned out well
    in fact, i turned out a heck of a lot better than the kids who received corporal punishment in a lot of cases.

add to that, we understand a lot more. we know about things like SPD/ASD et al, and so we *need* to modify the way we raise children, because to hit a child with SPD, even just a 'light tap', can be the same for that child, as though you'd belted them across the face.

I think its also hard for children to learn respect, when they're not respected.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 19-06-2012 at 21:18.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012),LotusMum  (20-06-2012),shelle65  (19-06-2012),trishalishous  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wow, great thread but very complex.
    i definitely think it has to do with discipline and sugar coating everything. i've been told that time out is now considered harmful....ffs
    personally i think society is more violent today - young people (10 yo) stealing cars, teenagers beating, robbing and raping elderly people etc.

i'm a true believer in existentialism but unfortunately no-one is responsible for their actions these days, there are always excuses. my son got beat up at school this week yet the bully didn't even get a phone call to the parents because he was 'special needs'. sorry, but i need to know my kid is safe (hence we pulled him out of his school).

i'm not saying physical punishment is the answer, but what we are doing at the moment isn't either. at the end of the day people (parents and children) need to start taking accountability for their actions.