+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I dont know what I would talk to a therapist about but it seems like a good idea. My mind races and its hard because a lot of it is fear related. And im pretty fearful of doctors, particularly GPs.. so its hard to talk to them.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    I am quite open about most things and don't mind talking about myself , have a regular GP who I trust, and when doing uni placements (I am studying psychology - but not clinical psych) I regularly recommend people see a psychologist to help deal with anxiety/depression. Despite these things, I still felt terrified when going to speak with my GP about my anxiety. It took quite a while to work up to it, but it was such a relief when I finally did. Obviously your GP needs some details to complete a mental health plan, but you don't need to fully open up or disclose to them. A good psychologist will guide you with what to talk about during the sessions (or you can dictate if you have something you want to discuss), so try not to worry too much about that. If you can just make that appointment to get a mental health plan done that's the first major hurdle over and done with.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (19-06-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont know what I would talk to a therapist about but it seems like a good idea. My mind races and its hard because a lot of it is fear related. And im pretty fearful of doctors, particularly GPs.. so its hard to talk to them.

I felt the same way. I thought, how am I going to relay the mess in my scattered head to a stranger, when I don't even get it myself?
    For me, I had always wrote out my feelings, especially in the midst of my most severe episodes.. I guess I found putting my thoughts down on paper would help me work it all out. So, I had pages and pages of my ramblings and just kept bringing them in to my sessions to show him. It was much easier than trying to dissect my brain!
    If you find a good counsellor or therapist, like I did, they are a God send- they know what to say, they can help, it's what they're there for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would rather go through a full on bout of depression than go through a period of anxiety again. I know how terrible it is, and that it feels like it's all your fault and nothing anyone can do or say can help you.

I second (or is that third or fourth?) the suggestion to go to a psychologist. Your GP can help you but you don't have to talk much about anything if you don't want. you can just say that you don't feel well and ask for a mental health care plan and a referral to your community mental health care team.

In my most severe state, I took medication which helped me enough for cognitive behavioural therapy to really work. I'm certain that I wouldn't have gotten through it without both of these resources. However, now that I have the strategies to recognise it when it start, I have no need to medication.

the most relieving thing I felt was when talking with my psychologist about all the crazy things that I thought were my fault and that were coming for me. Turns out they were perfectly normal for someone with anxiety!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nagari For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-06-2012)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I dont have anxiety - but hubby has it .. and he tried loads of different approaches, and then eventually decided to trial medication. Please do try other things first - as the medications can be quite full on .. and they are very hard to stop taking (you need to basically wean yourself off the drug - stopping cold turkey can have quiet horrid effects). HOWEVER .. having said that .. the changes in hubby since he has been on medication has been incredible. He says he can still 'feel' the anxiety and thoughts, but that he can easily disregard them ...

it took some trial and error with the medication too - the first one gave him night sweats that were terrible - but his GP switched him to a similar mediation from a different family and he hasn't looked back.

Take care - please know that its VERY common to have the feelings and stresses that you are going through, and as hard as it is .. you aren't alone focus on getting to that first appointment and work with your psych ...

Jen

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask a questions? I have had some huge worries recently. Finances and health being the main ones. After I put DS to bed and the house is quiet and empty, my mind wonders. I get cold sweats, sweaty palms and feet, hot and cold, palpitations, goosebumps, tightening feeling in my gutt, etc.

I also get this same feeling when I accidentally forget to take my painkiller. It is a very heavy duty one and I take them twice a day. If I forget it once, I get withdrawal symptoms.
    So the first thing I do when I start feeling like this, is check if I have not forgotten to take my meds. Most of the time, I haven't and I am left to wonder what else it could be.
    Do you think the excessive worrying and fear about my financial life (and therefore my health) hitting critical point, could be causing these symptoms?
    Would you call it anxiety or something else?

All I know is that I can't get it to stop and I feel terrible as I sometimes snap at my poor little man who just wants to sit on mummy's lap or hop into her bed for a cuddle.
    I'm such a horrible mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    He says he can still 'feel' the anxiety and thoughts, but that he can easily disregard them ...

Jen
    This is so accurate. ^ When you recover from anxiety, or for me when I have a couple of good years, it feels just like that- the thoughts are there, but they aren't accompanied with that dreaded anxiety feeling. This is one of the things my counsellor taught me, as well... it's not the thoughts themselves that cause the anxiety, it's my REACTION (ie; anxiety) that is the problem. So learning to change the way I react to those demons in my head is the main thing and I learnt how to "switch off" for the most part. You need to adopt a "who cares" attitude, in a sense. Like, if my thoughts are threatening to overwhelm me, I try not to fight them as that tends to make things worse.. it's more of learning to allow the thoughts to occur but not giving them power. If you try NOT to think about whatever it is that causes the anxiety, you're turning the whole episode into a big, negative thing. You can be be taught to just roll with it with cognitive therapy. It's not easy to master and I still struggle from time to time, but it's a good coping tool for me.

Misschief: First off, you are certainly not a horrible mum!
    It does sound like anxiety to me. Anxiety comes in many different forms.. most of the time, for me, it not the usual day to day trials that set me off.. yes, I worry about finances and stuff, but when I'm having an anxiety attack or depressive episode, it's nothing I can put my finger on.. I have obsessive, irrational thoughts.. I almost become delusional at times.. it's different for everyone. Plus, I know that the thoughts are irrational, and that makes me question my reaction to them, like, why am I feeling anxious about these bullsh!t thoughts, and in turn that makes me MORE anxious.. then I become trapped in this crazy cycle in my head! Anxiety is an awful thing.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 19-06-2012 at 16:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Can I ask a questions? I have had some huge worries recently. Finances and health being the main ones. After I put DS to bed and the house is quiet and empty, my mind wonders. I get cold sweats, sweaty palms and feet, hot and cold, palpitations, goosebumps, tightening feeling in my gutt, etc.

I also get this same feeling when I accidentally forget to take my painkiller. It is a very heavy duty one and I take them twice a day. If I forget it once, I get withdrawal symptoms.
    So the first thing I do when I start feeling like this, is check if I have not forgotten to take my meds. Most of the time, I haven't and I am left to wonder what else it could be.
    Do you think the excessive worrying and fear about my financial life (and therefore my health) hitting critical point, could be causing these symptoms?
    Would you call it anxiety or something else?

All I know is that I can't get it to stop and I feel terrible as I sometimes snap at my poor little man who just wants to sit on mummy's lap or hop into her bed for a cuddle.
    I'm such a horrible mum
    It does sound like anxiety yes. Mine often strikes when I'm not busy.. or the end of the day.. but also can be when feeling overwhelmed, middle of the shops or anything. First time I felt this way I thought it was a heart attack and I would die.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am scared by the thought of letting go of my anxiety in a sense also.. not because I enjoy it at all.. I don't. But when I hyper obsess and worry for some stupid reason this makes me feel like I am "prepared" for the worst case scenarios I think of.. like if I am worried about the latest whooping cough break out or being robbed or whatever.. I always feel like if I stay in an alert state I am in control.. which is of course totally ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am scared by the thought of letting go of my anxiety in a sense also.. not because I enjoy it at all.. I don't. But when I hyper obsess and worry for some stupid reason this makes me feel like I am "prepared" for the worst case scenarios I think of.. like if I am worried about the latest whooping cough break out or being robbed or whatever.. I always feel like if I stay in an alert state I am in control.. which is of course totally ridiculous.

I'm the same. Most people who have anxiety are the same! Here's how my counsellor described exactly what you said:

Think of a raging river, so fierce and out of control that it threatens to engulf you and sweep you under it's waves. You're walking along side it, knowing that before long it's going to drag you in and you're going to drown. It's exhausting walking around the edges of it, trying to keep you balance- so, you just dive right in, before it gets you.

I'll never, ever forget when he said this- it's exactly what I do- immerse myself in it before it has the chance to catch me unawares... that way, I still kind of feel like "I'm" in control.. it didn't engulf me, I went to it willingly. Make sense?
    It's a coping mechanisim, I think.. it can be scary going through life with NO anxiety, as ridiculous as that sounds, but it feels like you're always watching your back, waiting for it to strike you down. When you're "in it", you're already there... there's not threat or waiting.. which is just anxiety anyway..
    It's so complicated yet makes complete sense.. to me, anyway, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's it for me, I NEED to be in control and find it very hard to let go! And have very HIGH expectations that my husband, children and myself don't always meet which stresses me out! Just breathe...