+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anxiety is controlling me.

It's just so damn hard. I'm really struggling. I'm on a beta blocker and have an appointment with a psychiatrist soon. Until then am I just meant to feel like this? I'm shaky.. I get heart palpitations. Feel sick. I just want to lay in my bed and hide. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine is through the roof at the moment.

Have you ever tried meditation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. I haven't. Do you find it helps? If im at home I lay down or have a hot shower but it can hit me at work, the shops, the car even..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my DH and I suffer from anxiety, but we both experience it in very different ways.

Neither of us have gotten professional help but one thing that helps relieve it is listening to some relaxation apps that we downloaded onto our iPhone's. We listen to them at night before bed. Im sure relaxation CDs would do the same. It's basically instructed meditation.

We have both found that our anxiety has drastically reduced since regularly taking fish oil. I have 3000mg per day, I took it for cardiovascular health but it has definitely helped with the anxiety too.

All the best, anxiety is a rotten thing to have to constantly deal with xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been there too but I am much better at the moment.
    Yes I tried meditation which did help a bit as does anything that directs your mind to something else.
    I would recommend eating well, getting enough rest but not so much that you don't get out of bed and avoid too much caffiene or alcohol. Even now I feel my anxiety creep up on me when I have had too much coffee.
    Have you thought about going to see a psychologist. It is best to get a mental health care plan from your gp so you can get 12 subsidized visits to a psychologist each year. The psychologist helped me a lot in conjunction with my psychiatrist. You cab probably get an appt much quicker with a psychologist too so maybe you could see someone soon.
    I hope you feel better and get on top of it soon.
    Oh another thing, the book of it by Bev ainsbett helped me heaps too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am another who experiences anxiety - it's such a horrible feeling isn't it? Although I haven't needed medication, I have been seeing a psychologist regularly which helps alot. Some of the basic things she started with were making sure I cut out caffeine and sugar and exercising regularly. She also has provided me with hypnosis CDs to listen to. They are similar to meditation CDs I have listened to in the past and I have found them very helpful if I listen to them every day (they are about 20-30mins each). She has also been good at talking through specific things that are making me anxious and is very practical on the realities of having a young child (i.e. she knows I am going to be time-pressed and sleep deprived which can raise my anxiety, so we work on practical things to assist with these). I would definitely recommend seeing a psychologist in conjunction with your psychiatrist if you can. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right one, but I have found both of the ones I have seen helpful (in different ways).

Good luck - I hope you find some relief soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh OP! It sucks feeling this way doesn't it. I recently visited my GP because I wasn't feeling myself and had nothing to lose, the last 12 months have been really rough, and she ruled out PND, but did say that her dx was Anxiety. :-(

She gave me the number of a psychologist which I am seeing in July and before then I am to go back to her so we can implement Mental Health Care plan. Bit scared about going to pysch., what are we going to talk about, LOL?!

Even just knowing what it is and why I'm feeling like I am, is a big weight off, and now that I am aware of it, am even now trying things to stay calm and not over think things too much!

Big love and hugs OP and other PPs.

A.
    xx

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh, the 'A' word.
    I've had it ever since I can remember, in various froms (panic attacks, depression, PND.. ) It comes and goes for me. I can be "good" for a couple of years but the bast.ard always finds it's way back inside my head.
    The best thing, for me, ws having my mum make me see a counsellor when I had a very severe case of it hit me out of the blue. I'd been good for maybe 2 or 3 years and then I was struck quite badly with clinical depression/anxiety. I thought I'd completely lost my mind.. I was being irrational, delusional, lost weigtht, felt suicidal... it was horrible.
    Anyway, this counsellor taught me fantastic cognitive skills over our sessions together. I began to make a recovery without the need for meds (not that I'm against meds, they are brilliant for some people).
    I'll always have it, I know it. It will never completely disappear, but I have control over it (for the most part) as opposed to it controlling me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you feel this way op. that sucks! Maybe try some Magnesium if it doesn't conflict with your beta blockers. It is supposed to really help anxiety.. Also, I know a man who was hypnotized to get rid of agoraphobia, and it worked. Maybe that's something you could look into. Hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know what I would talk to a therapist about but it seems like a good idea. My mind races and its hard because a lot of it is fear related. And im pretty fearful of doctors, particularly GPs.. so its hard to talk to them.