+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colouring hair when pregnant.

Do you colour your hair when you are pregnant? I am only 5 weeks pregnant and my hair needs highlighting. Should I get it done now or wait until I am at least 12 weeks? The other option is to dye is brown so I won't have to get it redone until after I've had the baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have had mine done, but it was later on in the pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB said to wait till after 12 weeks. I had highlights put in at 28 weeks while preg with DS. I haven't bothered this time as I want to go back to dark hair anyway.

If you are worried you could always use the natural henna hair dye?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My OB said it was fine thru pregnancy, but if I was really worried to wait til I'd gotten thru the first trimester. So that's what I did, waited til about 13-14 weeks before I got my hair colored

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read in a few places to wait until the 2nd trimester. I was waiting for my period so that I could dye my hair and it never came so my hair looks horrible now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I waited til second trimester.
    But you might also think about the smell!!! If you're feeling queasy and have a super nose going on (like I did) I could never have sat through my hair being done til I felt a bit better. The smell would've floored me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get mine done (roots bleached) every 6 weeks and was told that testing has been done and it is ok.
    I can't actually smell the product. The shampoo and conditioner smell more! My hairdresser uses the l'oreal blondies.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB said no to dying my hair while pregnant at all, he said that it was safer to abstain. Personally I would not do it all, even though it can be tough and I myself had grey hair as a result.

They have never tested the safety of hair coloring on pregnant women and can only speculate that it is a maybe risk. If you were to do it, I would definitely wait until after the first trimester where the fetus is less susceptible to teratogens.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 19-06-2012 at 20:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think highlighting is ok as it's not directly on the scalp. So long as your hairdressers is well ventilated. I couldnt find any evidence anywhere that it does any harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was preg with DD and I mean about 6-8 weeks a hair dresser said to me she would rather not do my hair...