+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low Iron.

I have been told I have very low iron so OB has put me on some tablets. I have been taking these tablets since last Thursday & Sunday I had lots of energy & had a good family day out & now Monday (I had a splitting headache, slept most of the day in between DS sleep & awake time) now it's tuesday (I again have no engery & trying my hardest not to have a day like yesterday but it's not working & raining here is not helping) do you think my body is recovering from weekend or these tablets are not working? Does anyone have low iron or is struggling every day? I am 29+2 & got a OB app next thursday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iron takes a very long time to build up in your body, you probably won't feel any better for a few weeks. Two years ago I had a troublesome pregnancy where I lost a lot of blood over a long time and needed a blood transfusion I had to take a therapeutic grade of iron for 5 months before I felt normal again. I found our just yesterday I have low iron during my current pregnancy (my level is 9 and it's supposed to be 30) and the midwife told me hopefully I will start to feel better in about 3 weeks after taking iron supplements.

Some iron supplements are better absorbed than others and absorb better when taken with vitamin C and if you can tolerate them on an empty stomach. It is also best to avoid Coffee, tea and dairy products for 2 hours either side of taking your iron as they inhibit iron absorption, spinach is also best avoided as it binds the iron and carries it out of your body.

It is also reccomended to increase iron rich foods in the diet as this will also boost your iron levels so plenty of red meat which contains the haem iron (other meats also contain this but not at such a high level) which is better absorbed than non-haem iron found in eggs, leafy greens, nuts especially cashews and dried apricots.

I take Ferro-Grad C which has been recommended to me by a few different pharmacists, it has iron with a vitamin C for maximum absorption. The side effects of nausea and constipation can be stronger than other brands and types of iron because this supplement actually contains more iron which is why the side effects may show more, the others appear to be gentler on the stomach because they actually contain less iron, after a few days as your body gets used to them the nausea should subside, although if you are still having trouble you some of the liquid forms may be better tolerated.

Sorry for the massive rave but I hope it helps and I hope you are feeling a lot better soon, you just need to take it easy until it builds up in your system.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try spatone

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Or Floradix - I love that stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ferro C is the one I am taking now aswell. I just hope it comes up before bubs is born. I think my levels were lower then 9 he said I'm not yet anemic but very close

Thanks
    Reviews
    It should come up before bubs is born,it's frustrating because it takes so long to build up and feel better, just need to be kind to your self. If you do decide to switch supplements just take note of how much iron they contain because you really want to be able to get the most absorption possible. The previous time I had them the Ob said I could double the dose for two weeks and then go back down to one, yesterday I asked the pharmacist about this again and he said I could do it for a week but they upset my tummy a little yesterday so I am going to let my body adjust to taking them for a few days and then double dose for a week, maybe you could ask your ob if you can do the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Try spatone
    I was going to suggest spatone too. It's the only ion supplement that didnt make me feel sick or constipated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spatone here too. No ugly side effects. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took ferro c when I was pregnant with DS but that was only at the start for couple of months. I never had low iron with him If it doesn't pick up before I see OB next week I will ask him about changing the dosage or the tablets. It's horrible I am over been tired & sick. Now I know it's low iron aswell it makes me feel worse because I just wanna be better for DS & DD (pregnant)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No offense but the reason there are no side effects with Spatone is because it only contains 5mg of iron the Ferro-Grad C contains 325mg which has side effects because it is a higher dosage, which is why it is classed as a therapeutic grade product because it is more beneficial for those who are dangerously low in iron. I would say the Ob will tell you to double the dose for a couple of weeks so your body can absorb the maximum amount otherwise I think the only other option is to start an intravenous course of iron which he may not be willing to do. I doubt very much you will notice much difference within a week as it takes a few weeks for iron to build up in your system.