+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    My Parents in Law helped us a fair amount when DH and I were first finished Uni and working.

It has made all the difference in the world to our life. It has meant that we could afford to renovate the house, that we can afford to live a lifestyle that makes us happy - I am not meaning lavish ... just not having to scrimp to pay the bills, being able to go out occasionally and enjoy yourself etc.

It has meant that by the time we had a family, we had investments and could afford for me to stay home with bubs. That going back to work was a choice ...

It has meant that we have choices. We can choose schooling for her, we can go on holidays, we can do the things we want to do without having to worry about money.

It meant that when I was diagnosed with a long term chronic illness, and will likely never be able to work full time again ... it will not be a problem for us.

So yes. When DD is older, we will help her. It wont be just giving her a chunk of money, she will still need to work and earn her way in life. But those first steps on the ladder set you up in life. And if we can help her up those hardest ones ... we certainly will.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

3InATub  (19-06-2012),Guest1234  (19-06-2012),Jenga  (19-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2012),Wise Enough  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, I think that's a little egotistical and odd that she came out with that from nowhere to be honest.

DH and I have discussed this. We decided that we don't want to give our kids a "free ride" but we will help them out alot.... Who knows whether we'll go back on that when the time comes!

One thing that's always at the back of my mind though, is when you're starting out with a family, that's when the money is needed most.....

ETA My initial thought was on young adult which is what I based most of my reply on. Upon reading the thread, if it was my daughter and her family and I had the money and could help all 3 then yes I would.
    Last edited by 3InATub; 19-06-2012 at 12:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would i pay off an entire mortgage on a house for my kids? No.
    I would help out, perhaps with a deposit or something like that, but i would not give them a whole house (not that i could afford to anyway).
    I intend to teach my children good money management and responsibility so they have the skills to take care of themselves. Also i think the satisfaction of being able to buy a house yourself (or anything really) is very worthwhile.
    I will offer help and support but i don't plan of giving my kids a free ride in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See I think gifting a deposit is likely to cause more issues with a lack of financial responsibility. Saving up a 20% deposit is no mean feat. I think of kids have done that they have demonstrated a good level of financial responsibility.

Not that I have an issue with people doing it - I just think lack of appreciation of how hard it is to manage money is more likely in that scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    My XH is 31. Last year he earned over $100k. Over the 6 years we had our mortgage, only $12,500 was paid of it. Credit cards constantly maxed out, he just recently spent over $4k on a car he doesn't need, has a company car, company phone and expense account yet cries poor and 'can barely afford to eat' yet you can guarantee that beer is bought before food.

So no, not everyone who is grown up with a family and has purchased a home is able to manage their money well.
    Did you marry my XH too???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    See I think gifting a deposit is likely to cause more issues with a lack of financial responsibility. Saving up a 20% deposit is no mean feat. I think of kids have done that they have demonstrated a good level of financial responsibility.

Not that I have an issue with people doing it - I just think lack of appreciation of how hard it is to manage money is more likely in that scenario.
    I agree. When i say i'd help with a deposit i mean i would help not just give it to them. For example if they save 15%, i'd give an extra 5% or something along those lines. Or DH has suggested buying them a house but only letting them have it once they have saved a deposit and then have them 'rent' the house for a while before handing it over to them (not sure on this but it's an idea we have discussed).
    I think it is great to help your kids but better if you can teach them to help themselves first.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (19-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do agree, I prob wouldn't give the whole deposit. We were given about a third of a home deposit. We've still had to save a heck of a lot but have been given a helping hand considering the cost of living.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If we had the extra money I would certainly consider helping our kids out. I would LOVE for someone to offer to pay off our mortgage (never going to happen ). I think we have a good work ethic and are going along okay, but things will be tight until I finish uni in a few years. If my kids had saved a deposit for their own house, were paying off their mortgage okay and were generally living within their means then helping them out would be something I would love to do. It is hopefully something that would be appreciated and would help them get ahead in life.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post

I agree. That's why I liked Elijah's Mum's suggestion so much; it ensured that the children had worked and saved to get to the position to buy a home, but just gave them a wonderful surprise!

I think we don't share money within families enough. I often look at how people used to do it with a fair bit of longing... at a certain age, the elderly would come to live with their children and grandchildren. The money from their home would go towards their children's home alleviating the need for banks, interest, debt.

We've become so used to debt in our society that we don't even see it, but there's many a bank CEO doing very well out of the way we handle our money these days. Honestly, why wouldn't you keep the banks out of it if you could?!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it also depends what sort of deposit you are talking.

My deposit was $25k, my sisters deposit was $80k.