+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never got a hand and so everything i have i worked for and paid for myself, this has given a great deal of accomplishment and taught me valuable money management skills. Nothing bets the feeling of knowing you have achieved something on your own merit, rather than just being handed it. I want my children to feel that.
    This is why i won't be handing my children things like a house, i will help out but i won't just hand over stuff on a silver platter. I personally feel it is important to be able to stand on your own two feet

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Benji  (19-06-2012),Clementine Grace  (19-06-2012),ICanDream  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fair enough.

Thanks for clarifying, makes sense.

I know I will never ever have that much to throw around anyway so it's all dreams to me! haha!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We would only help out if they were struggling. There is no help in buying them a car, paying their rent, or paying their bills.

Our family was well off but we got no handouts. We were taught money management and responsible spending.
    When it was time for first cars, the offer was for every $200 we saved from working, they gave us $100. There was no 'this is your 16th birthday gift', the gift was teaching us to live like adults.
    We had an allowance for clothes and essentials. Over that amount and you buy it. If you wanted a non essential like a handbag, and had no money, you could borrow a parent loan and pay back 5% interest on top.

Catch a man a fish, he eats that day. Teach him to fish and he will never starve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So that's what my father meant when he said I couldn't carry myself. Ha ha. Ahhhh if only he knew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Neither my parents nor DH's parents have ever been in a position to help us out financially. We've gotten where we are today all on our own.

But that still doesn't mean i wouldn't love to be able to help out DD if we are ever in a position to do so.

If she has reached the point in her life where she has saved a deposit and feels ready for the commitment of mortgage then I'd feel confident she was more than capable of standing on her own two feet. I'd also bet she wouldn't rest on her laurels and if she had her mortgage paid off for her she'd use that financial freedom not just to follow her dreams but to set herself up for the future - investments, savings, renovations etc. It might also give her the ability to set her own children up for their future.

With the property market as it is people tend not to stay in their first home forever. It's a foot in the door.

I don't see it as stopping her standing on her own two feet - just giving her a helping hand to step up firmly onto the property ladder. She'll still be on her own two feet once she's there. She's just standing a little more steadily without the bank hanging over her head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it for my kids, like my parents did for me (like my grandparents did for my dad)... As a loan.

We pay my parents each month as if we had a mortgage but instead of drowning in interest every cent we pay back is money coming off the bottom line.

Because of such, we should be able to do the same for our kids.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just in case people are misunderstanding me, i am not saying i wouldn't help out. In fact DH and i have discussed buying our DD's houses - i just wouldn't hand it to them straight out. When i say 'stand on their own to two feet' i don't mean i refuse to help them out at all.
    Just to clarify