+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Misschief;

All religions recruit to some degree, not just those considered cults. A very effective way is to not outwardly recruit, which is essentially what's happening here. OP has already stated that this girl was nice, not pushy and so on. In fact friendly enough that she's considered inviting her into her home with her family and friends.

By doing it this way the target percieves they have some measure of control over the situtation which increases their likelihood of listening to some religious information at some point, if only out of pity or guilt.

I can guarantee you that the photographer is well aware that some people will take advantage of the free photos without committing to the religion. The point is the closer she gets to the target, the closer she'll get to the targets friends, the more chances there are for her to talk about her religion. This then increases the chances of someone being interested enough to go in for a 'friendly chat' even if it's only because they're not confident enough to say no.

They use these techniques because they work. Not all the time, and not a lot. But it costs them nothing so why wouldn't they? It's marketing, plain and simple.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. I just find things like religious recruiting quite fascinating.

I also don't think it's very kind of you to say that people who are involved in cults are not smart. Some of them are very intelligent, but are going through difficult times, some are raised by family members already in that cult and know no other life. Some people are just easily influenced or feel a little lost. Cults (in fact most religions) are know for their skill in identifying those who are most easily manipulated.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (21-06-2012),austmum  (20-06-2012),Gandalf  (19-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ...or maybe she's just an aspiring photographer building her portfolio, really liked you, thought you could benefit from her church like she has, maybe she was fishing for mutual interests to build the friendship?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Eko  (20-06-2012),Gandalf  (19-06-2012),Sairz  (19-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (19-06-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    ...or maybe she's just an aspiring photographer building her portfolio, really liked you, thought you could benefit from her church like she has, maybe she was fishing for mutual interests to build the friendship?
    I think the whole point of their cult is to be anti religion. And they charge $200 for a weekend and $1500 for the next bit after that, which is not terribly friendly, if you ask me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    I think the whole point of their cult is to be anti religion. And they charge $200 for a weekend and $1500 for the next bit after that, which is not terribly friendly, if you ask me.
    Yeah that sounds like Scientology to me, or Landmark, which is very culty and so hard to get rid of. I had a friend who spends thousands on landmark self improvement. She tried desperately to recruit me (I was a bit offended-what's wrong with me) and claimed it changed her life. She's still a screwball who thankfully lives overseas now.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds like landmark to me too. FIL got involved with them for a while don't use her, as PP said you never know which of your friends may be susceptible to that sort of thing. They are VERY sneaky.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My concern would be how to shake them. Like amway sellers and jw, they will follow you for ages. My partner had some that used to wait outside our house for hours to talk to my partner. Then he statted hiding under beds when they knocked and I wasn't there to fend them off.

They are wiley though.

My late grandmother was recruited by some jws after her husband died. They welcomed her into their home, the wife cleaned for her and took her shopping, nothing was too much trouble. After my grandmother declined to join, they dumped her. Although my grandmother was pretty sly; I think she may have been in it for the free slave labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be getting her back again. I think she would see it as an open invitation and you won't get rid of her. I don't think the hassle is worth the free photos

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry about taking advantage of her. If she is involved in a cult/crazy religion she is probably used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    :/ my dad and his wife are JWs and not pushy at all. They also help people who aren't with the church, including a single mum with 2 kids that lives in their street.
    I'm not a JW, and don't get preached to by then at all, as they know I'm not going to convert.

In response to the OP, I wouldn't do it, only because I would be worried that someone at the party might get sucked in despite being forewarned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sindrii For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be comfortable going to a party knowing the photographer is doing it for free as a "recruiter". I wouldn't want them around my children and don't know what they would do with the photos. So you might end up with less people at the party.