4 57.14%
  • either

1 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Uhhhh soo not true! It can be done at 90km/hour!?
    Then in that situation 90 km/hr is too fast. Slow down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only owned front wheel drives till we brought my new car a couple of months ago and tbh i felt a lot safer in front wheel then rear wheel i guess because dp and i had a bad car accident in a rear wheel car and since the road was wet and had gravel all over the rd we spun out and hit a pole and no we were not speeding we were doing like 20km/h max.

Though the thing i like about my new car is it has traction control so won't spin out and it is a safe car.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagari View Post
    if you're aquaplaning then you're driving too fast.
    You can aquaplane even at moderate speeds. The thing is, though, a lot of people mistake plough-understeer for aquaplaning.

Aquaplaning is when you drive over a decent sized puddle, and the grooves in the tyres can't disperse the water quickly enough. The tyres basically sit on the water surface, rather than on the road. FWD or RWD, you're little more than a passenger at that point.

Plough understeer happens when you turn too quickly. The tyres don't have enough traction to overcome the inertia of a tonne and a half of car pushing forward, and the tyres break traction. If you get plough-understeer, you're going too fast for the conditions. The vast majority of instances of cars "aquaplaning" is actually this instead.

Weight-balance is somewhat of an issue, but not all that relevant. The drive wheels is less important than the engine position.

The only really weighty drivetrain component in the back of a RWD car is the differential, which (unless you have a huge 9" diff or something) are comparatively light. Weight balance is influenced far more by where the engine is in comparison to the front axle. Even some FWD cars have very sound front-rear weight distribution, while a lot of RWD cars are hugely front heavy.

On loose surfaces, FWD is FAR safer than rear - unless you have serious rally driving skills and know how to steer with your accelerator. If you're going a bit fast in a FWD car and it breaks traction on gravel, it will generally push straight forward. You ease off the gas a little and straighten the wheel, the wheels will regain traction, and you drive out of it.

In a RWD car, the rear end will break loose. The back of the car will do its best to overtake the front, and you'll be in strife. You have to balance the accelerator and steer back into the skid - too much or too little back steering or accelerator, and you'll find yourself heading FAST into the nearest tree.

If you really know how to handle an out-of-control car, a RWD is easier to balance on the throttle and more controllable. If, like me, you're one of the 99% of people who aren't quite drift-kings or rally aces, a FWD is safer. Less fun, but safer.

There's a reason why FWD cars were always huge in Scandinavia.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (19-06-2012),Sairz  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    if you're aquaplaning then you're driving too fast.

Oh dear, are you saying that i shouldnt be driving at 70-80km/hr in rainy weather because im going too fast?

I live in the tropics, i used to live between australias two wettest towns, ive driven in umpteenth severe rainstorms, and a cyclone or two. Im not an idiot, i know if im driving too fast in rainy weather. The speed has nothing to do with whether or not you aquaplane. If you have a light car, and gigantic puddles, you can aquaplane at any speed.

GFP, if i aquaplane i take my foot of the accelerator and let the motor slow the car. I used to drive a rwd car so i didnt have any 'close calls'. But driving a fwd i did. Living in the tropics, where it rains 3/4 of the year, i prefer rwd cars. Not so i can go super dooper fast, but because i find they dont aquaplane as much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post

Oh dear, are you saying that i shouldnt be driving at 70-80km/hr in rainy weather because im going too fast?
    Depends on the situation

Always remember that half the people with licences are below average drivers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Depends on the situation

Always remember that half the people with licences are below average drivers.
    You dont know me from a bar of soap but youre saying im a 'below average driver'. yay me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    You dont know me from a bar of soap but youre saying im a 'below average driver'. yay me
    Wow, that's two general statements you've misinterpreted to be all about you. One more and I'm calling it a pattern!

Back to the original question which I think has been comprehensively answered... I agree that the FWD/RWD debate is not relevant to a purchase decision unless you're a rally driver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that's two general statements you've misinterpreted to be all about you. One more and I'm calling it a pattern!

Back to the original question which I think has been comprehensively answered... I agree that the FWD/RWD debate is not relevant to a purchase decision unless you're a rally driver
    Ifi ts general, dont quote. Quoting implies that you are answering the post you have quoted, hence the reason i made them 'all about me'. anyhoo...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So pretty much the easiest way to explain it is this:
    - front wheel drive - means that all the power is transferred by the front wheels, so essentially the car is being pulled forward.
    - rear wheel drive - means that all the power is transferred by the rear wheels, so the car is being pushed forward.

These days, with all the modern technology, there is no difference in safety. Just look for a car with a 5 star ANCAP rating! This means its met the world safety standards!

Buy a Mazda, they are the shiznit!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (19-06-2012),Sairz  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    So pretty much the easiest way to explain it is this:
    - front wheel drive - means that all the power is transferred by the front wheels, so essentially the car is being pulled forward.
    - rear wheel drive - means that all the power is transferred by the rear wheels, so the car is being pushed forward.

These days, with all the modern technology, there is no difference in safety. Just look for a car with a 5 star ANCAP rating! This means its met the world safety standards!

Buy a Mazda, they are the shiznit!
    I just looked for my car (Toyota Rukus) and noticed the Mazda 6 only has 4/5 stars.

eta: That surprised me. Im amazed that cars with 2stars are being sold in Aus
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 19-06-2012 at 22:49.